Texas A&M cancels home-home series

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Re: Texas A&M cancels home-home series

Post by DAT#6 »

Duck24 wrote:Looks like they dumped us to play Clemson...
If that is indeed the case, we need to make severe use of the buyout clause with these clowns. Make them pay dearly.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Except, of course, LSU and Tennessee, how many SEC schools have dropped scheduled games with the Ducks?
Tennessee is the only SEC team I respect on terms of scheduling. LSU and Bama won't play west of Texas.

Yeah, except when we played in Washington and at Arizona State in a home and home. Oh and we are playing at UCLA in home and home and we are doing another home and home with Arizona State again
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Phalanx wrote:
DAT_man_again wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Except, of course, LSU and Tennessee, how many SEC schools have dropped scheduled games with the Ducks?
Tennessee is the only SEC team I respect on terms of scheduling. LSU and Bama won't play west of Texas.

Even though LSU played us on a neutral site they still agreed to play us. Better than you can say for Georgia or A&M.
With apologies to Bud, that was basically a home game for LSU, like if the ducks scheduled a game in Sacramento, and even though it was cool that they scheduled us, it's like making a bet with a professional gambler - they only took that game because they odds were sufficiently in their favor. I'll respect LSU when they schedule a West Coast game some time. But of course, they won't.

Well, I mean Arizona State isn't really "west coast" but UCLA is right? I'm not very good with geography though so I may be wrong.

Then of course there was that Washington game in Seattle , but that was '09 which was a lifetime ago
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Duck07 wrote:Yes they did play at ASU a few years ago but I don't think they returned the trip to Corvallis when they played the Beavers during the Alexis Serna years.

I don't think a return trip was ever a part of the deal, that was a one and done. Can't really remember what went on there.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Bud Lee wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Yes they did play at ASU a few years ago but I don't think they returned the trip to Corvallis when they played the Beavers during the Alexis Serna years.

I don't think a return trip was ever a part of the deal, that was a one and done. Can't really remember what went on there.
Serna blew the game away with 3 missed pats.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Bud Lee wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

Yeah, except when we played in Washington and at Arizona State in a home and home. Oh and we are playing at UCLA in home and home and we are doing another home and home with Arizona State again
I guess you're right, but do a home and home with Oregon! Though if that ever happens, I'll tell any Oregon to stay away from Baton Rouge. I was in Dallas and that was by far the worst experience I've ever had with another fanbase. I've dealt with Husky, Beaver, and Cougar fans, and it's not even close. So I guess I'm kinda glad Oregon didn't have a home and home with LSU.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Bud Lee wrote:
Phalanx wrote: With apologies to Bud, that was basically a home game for LSU, like if the ducks scheduled a game in Sacramento, and even though it was cool that they scheduled us, it's like making a bet with a professional gambler - they only took that game because they odds were sufficiently in their favor. I'll respect LSU when they schedule a West Coast game some time. But of course, they won't.

Well, I mean Arizona State isn't really "west coast" but UCLA is right? I'm not very good with geography though so I may be wrong.

Then of course there was that Washington game in Seattle , but that was '09 which was a lifetime ago
How in the world could I have missed that they played in Seattle? Maybe it was because they played there nine months after the Huskies went 0-12? Wow, that was really bold - LSU took a huge risk there. When did they schedule that game, by the way? Was it back in 2000 when the Huskies were pretty good? Oh yeah, it was in 2008, the 0-12 year. I didn't say y'all were stupid, I just implied that you never play tough West Coast games.

I don't know how much credit to give you for that ASU game in 2005, I mean, it took a freaking hurricane to get y'all there (the game was originally supposed to be in Baton Rouge, if I am not mistaken) - and LSU almost lost that game too. I notice they're having a little trouble rescheduling that home and home - how many times has it been postponed? A couple, I think.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/08/lsu- ... ll-series/

Nice job scheduling UCLA in 2021. That's a long time from now..I wonder if they will ever actually play that game.

So, just to recap, the only time in the last 30 years when LSU played a game anywhere near the Mountain or Pacific Time Zones was 1. Against a team that went 0-12 the year before, and 2. When a hurricane forced them to switch venues. Do I have that right? And the next one is scheduled seven years from now?

As I was saying....
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

I forgot one, we played the Arozona Wildcats in a home and home too, think that was 2002 and 2003. Have not gone back to 84 so I don't know about the rest of 30 year span

And I know , I know. Arizona sucked when we played them so they were not a "good team" either.

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Bud Lee wrote:I forgot one, we played the Arozona Wildcats in a home and home too, think that was 2002 and 2003. Have not gone back to 84 so I don't know about the rest of 30 year span

And I know , I know. Arizona sucked when we played them so they were not a "good team" either.

To say Arizona wasn't a good team is putting it mildly. They were 2-10 in 2003 when LSU came to Tucson. Notice a pattern?

Last year, you spent quite a bit of time talking about how the Vols sucked and Oregon's win against them wasn't very impressive. They went 5-7 last year. I think it's funny that you trot out the game against 2-10 Arizona now as evidence of your bold West Coast scheduling.

Unlike you, I DID go back 30 years, because that's how far back you have to go, 1984, to find the last time LSU came to either the Mountain or Pacific Time Zones to play a decent team on their home turf. They played USC in a year that the Trojans went 9-3.

Don't worry, Bud, I don't think any less of LSU than I do of the rest of your vaunted conference. With a few exceptions, they are all a bunch of chickens. :lol:
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Phalanx wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:I forgot one, we played the Arozona Wildcats in a home and home too, think that was 2002 and 2003. Have not gone back to 84 so I don't know about the rest of 30 year span

To say Arizona wasn't a good team is putting it mildly. They were 2-10 in 2003 when LSU came to Tucson. Notice a pattern?

Last year, you spent quite a bit of time talking about how the Vols sucked and Oregon's win against them wasn't very impressive. They went 5-7 last year. I think it's funny that you trot out the game against 2-10 Arizona now as evidence of your bold West Coast scheduling.

Unlike you, I DID go back 30 years, because that's how far back you have to go, 1984, to find the last time LSU came to either the Mountain or Pacific Time Zones to play a decent team on their home turf. They played USC in a year that the Trojans went 9-3.

Don't worry, Bud, I don't think any less of LSU than I do of the rest of your vaunted conference. With a few exceptions, they are all a bunch of chickens. :lol:
Since many home and homes are scheduled YEARS in advance, it's hard to know if your opponent will be a good, bad, or so-so team. In this case, you have to give them some credit for going across the country to play a team from another power conference, and multiple times at that. When we scheduled Virginia, we thought they were a top half of the ACC team with a chance they might be ranked. A few years went by, and we played a crappy Virginia team. It's not our fault their program dropped off after we signed the deal. We also should hold that against LSU. So, yeah, they do a good job of trying to get a nice smattering of teams from across the country. I see LSU as a team that actually understands that to make yourself a national brand, you have to win & you have to play all over the nation. You have to be seen and they are. Props to LSU.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Kind of a weird argument for a Duck fan to make against LSU. Tennessee was good when Oregon made their home and home but then sucked when it came around. UW would have been pretty good at the probable time LSU scheduled them. Take 5 or more years off that Arizona team and they would have been better at the time the games were likely scheduled.

It kind of ruins the "SEC schedules pansies" unless you give an exemption to LSU and Tennessee. Do that and you can make a pretty strong case.
skdragon1
Two Star Recruit

Post by skdragon1 »

lame
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Kind of a weird argument for a Duck fan to make against LSU. Tennessee was good when Oregon made their home and home but then sucked when it came around. UW would have been pretty good at the probable time LSU scheduled them. Take 5 or more years off that Arizona team and they would have been better at the time the games were likely scheduled.

It kind of ruins the "SEC schedules pansies" unless you give an exemption to LSU and Tennessee. Do that and you can make a pretty strong case.
I don't mind being disagreed with, but I really wish you would read the 'weird argument' before you criticized it. As I stated above, LSU scheduled that game in 2008, the year the Huskies went 0-12. So basically, LSU scheduled the absolute worst team in the Pac, made sure it was for opening week the very next season, and made sure that the road game occurred first, before Washington had any time to get better. If you want to think that is all a big coincidence, that's fine, but as I said, the ONLY scheduled road games in the western half of the U.S. for the last 30 YEARS were against 2 Pac teams that had just got through finishing last in the conference.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Actually , we did play a ranked USC team back in 84 at the Collisium so that's makes another one more in your 30 year span there.

In addition, there is more than 2 conferences out there, we have gone to WVU, playing Wisconsin on the frozen Tundra next year, doing a home and home with Syracruse, got a home and home with Texas and playing the cowboy classic against Miami.

The PAC likes to play Big 10 teams , the SEC likes to play ACC and Big 12. AD's tend to like to schedule schools one can drive to, it's the way it be.

I