Man, this DP thing...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Man, this DP thing...

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm pretty sure we won't be in Tuesday's poll, but we will be if we win out. Teams in front of us are going to start eating each other as this season goes on.

Also, as long as we're talking about perception... in beating Cal, Oregon has now cleared the portion of our schedule in which we face high-octane offenses. Our remaining opponents aren't very good offensively (although Utah has the ability to put up points).

So the distant, uninformed pundits who might scoff at the Cal box store may be equally (and stupidly) impressed by good defensive showings down the stretch of our schedule.

And that's why I don't waste much time worrying about what others think of our program.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If we're gonna talk about perception, then Oregon has a great opportunity on Saturday to improve perception. Stanford may have three losses, but two of them were close, and people still look at them as a very strong team. Though we do have Colorado and Oregon State left, who both can put up yards on the passing game, not like WSU and Cal, but they are capable of moving the ball through the air. Don't think Oregon will give up 30+ points again this season, but if DP does his rush 3 all game and allow teams to pass the ball for 5-10 yards all game long, then maybe.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If we're gonna talk about perception, then Oregon has a great opportunity on Saturday to improve perception. Stanford may have three losses, but two of them were close, and people still look at them as a very strong team. Though we do have Colorado and Oregon State left, who both can put up yards on the passing game, not like WSU and Cal, but they are capable of moving the ball through the air. Don't think Oregon will give up 30+ points again this season, but if DP does his rush 3 all game and allow teams to pass the ball for 5-10 yards all game long, then maybe.
+1

The outsiders will see what they need by the time we reach the Pac-12 title game.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

pezsez1 wrote:Have you guys seen how many points Cal has put up on other Pac-12 opponents? We played Cal better than most of them, and I'm guessing we gave Cal more plays to rack up yards and points, too (between our turnovers, special teams gaffe, third-quarter offensive woes and usual fast pace of play).

Seriously, that offense is legit... can't say that enough. It's WSU with a running game.
WSU's vaunted rushing attack is ranked 102 in the nation. They only looked like they had a good rushing attack because we are terrible at stopping the run.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

WSU's vaunted rushing attack is ranked 102 in the nation. They only looked like they had a good rushing attack because we are terrible at stopping the run.
My point... WSU has no running game.

I must have said this in the other thread, but our D only seems to really struggle when scheming against pass-heavy teams.

Against more balanced teams like MSU, UCLA and UW (and even 'Zona, except for one quarter), we were fine... good, even.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

If it were ONE game, you'd have an argument in the OP.

It's been all season, starting with South Dakota running it down our throats, save for a handful of quarters.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Actually, most of our "bad" defensive play has come in a handful of quarters, not the other way around.

- Our defense owned MSU for three quarters, with MSU doing the bulk of its scoring in the 2nd (at a time when special teams/offense committed big errors and gave MSU short fields).

- The third quarter against AZ was bad defensively... otherwise, our D was the only reason we weren't blown out.

- UCLA, 4th quarter... but it was a rout and we were cycling in subs of subs.

- Cal, 2nd quarter... but same as MSU game, the Bears only really scored lots of points when our offense/special teams made mistakes.

There's a good story on Olive today about all the different defensive alignments we were experimenting with earlier this season, so there's very little use in trying to base arguments on stats from the Wyoming and South Dakota games. Obviously, DP wasn't playing around with lineups when we smashed MSU.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Presented without comment.

Mississippi St (#1) is finishing up a game against Kentucky in which they are giving up 31 points and over 500 yards.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Mississippi St (#1) is finishing up a game against Kentucky in which they are giving up 31 points and over 500 yards.
It's either Obama's or Don Pellum's fault.

Also, while Cal has the nation's 17th-best offense, KY's offense is ranked no. 62.

SEC! SEC!
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Man, this DP thing...

Post by mm55 »

Pez-stop making sense and being rational. Please also stop supporting your opinion with facts and research. All of this does not support the narrative that many her ascribe too. You've got to stop being sensible[WINKING FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MM in Cali
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

mm55 wrote:Pez-stop making sense and being rational. Please also stop supporting your opinion with facts and research. All of this does not support the narrative that many her ascribe too. You've got to stop being sensible [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMILEY FACE.

http://youtu.be/n07_ZpHjbqQ
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

The reality is that this defense could be better and that is enough for me to want DP's position to be reevaluated at the end of the year. If a coach isn't maximizing talent, let alone causing it to underachieve, then I don't want him coaching for my team. This defense is underachieving. Period. Offenses with any creativity are having some of the best games of their season against us. That is unacceptable. We are the "hunted" and have a target on our back but it's for a reason. We have the best coaches, facilities, most talent, etc, etc.

At some point we have to stop giving our defense a pass just because the offense is good. Look at how many defensive guys we have put into the league, it's way more than offensive guys. But we have NEVER had a defense that matched our offense. Like not even close. The talent is there, the coaching isn't.