Stanford @ #5 Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Stanford @ #5 Oregon

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:We're gonna hang some lights on that tree. 8-)
I love Christmas.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

The big problem for Oregon that I see as an area we need to improve drastically on, is in our 3rd down defense. Oregon has to know that Stanford is going to pound the ball on 3rd down, especially given how bad Oregon is on 3rd down. Stanford has done this the last 2 years and despite not being as effective as they have been the last 2 years, Oregon is worse yet in getting off the field on 3rd downs. This is a big reason I am still on the fence about this game. Oregon's defense has to get off the field and stop Stanford. My gut tells me that at least the first half Stanford will run the ball heavily. If Oregon shows can stop them on 3rd down, then they might look to pass.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ That is where an early lead can and will help us. In 2011 we had no problems scoring and it turned into a shootout as Stanford tried to keep up. In 2012 and 13, we stalled our first few drives and they chewed enormous amounts of clock and never allowed us to get into a rhythm and controlled the game with their style of play.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Our defense needs to figure out how to get off the field on third downs. If they can't it will be a long night.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
I love Christmas.
And the more lights the better!! 8-)

Notice the plane that we flew on?
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

From their stupid band and the spotted owl incident, to squashing our national title hopes the last two years, to Richard Sherman, to Jim Harbaugh, to David Shaw, to those dumb glasses Skov and company wore in that press conference, to the weird Picasso tree, to Kevin Hogan derping his way to two wins against us and sucking against everyone else, I just wanted to say...

Screw you Stanford. Lets destroy these turds, once and for all.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

DAT_man_again wrote:From their stupid band and the spotted owl incident, to squashing our national title hopes the last two years, to Richard Sherman, to Jim Harbaugh, to David Shaw, to those dumb glasses Skov and company wore in that press conference, to the weird Picasso tree, to Kevin Hogan derping his way to two wins against us and sucking against everyone else, I just wanted to say...

^^^^^This!

You can add the 49-42 loss they laid on the Ducks in 2001 at Autzen to that list, too. That cost us a national championship matchup with Miami. :cry: :evil:
John 3:36
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

goducks wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
I love Christmas.
And the more lights the better!! 8-)
And hopefully the lights have a short in them that burns the tree down!!!!!
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

SuperDuck wrote:
DAT_man_again wrote:From their stupid band and the spotted owl incident, to squashing our national title hopes the last two years, to Richard Sherman, to Jim Harbaugh, to David Shaw, to those dumb glasses Skov and company wore in that press conference, to the weird Picasso tree, to Kevin Hogan derping his way to two wins against us and sucking against everyone else, I just wanted to say...

^^^^^This!

You can add the 49-42 loss they laid on the Ducks in 2001 at Autzen to that list, too. That cost us a national championship matchup with Miami. :cry: :evil:
which is the best thing to happen to oregon
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

I was there that day. Curious how many of you were also there. What an elitist, classless, arrogant
and smug thing the band pulled off that day. As I recall, even the head of the University was furious.

Nothing like a bunch of privileged and spoiled kids mocking and making fun of the struggles of working
class people.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

justducky0 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote: You can add the 49-42 loss they laid on the Ducks in 2001 at Autzen to that list, too. That cost us a national championship matchup with Miami. :cry: :evil:
which is the best thing to happen to oregon
:lol:
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:The big problem for Oregon that I see as an area we need to improve drastically on, is in our 3rd down defense. Oregon has to know that Stanford is going to pound the ball on 3rd down, especially given how bad Oregon is on 3rd down. Stanford has done this the last 2 years and despite not being as effective as they have been the last 2 years, Oregon is worse yet in getting off the field on 3rd downs. This is a big reason I am still on the fence about this game. Oregon's defense has to get off the field and stop Stanford. My gut tells me that at least the first half Stanford will run the ball heavily. If Oregon shows can stop them on 3rd down, then they might look to pass.
Totally agree... add Mariota needs to run some to make them respect that option. Force them to spread the field and respect the full potential of the offense.

The only day I am for clear cutting trees.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I still think the best we have done against their defense was the game in 2010 where we ran WR screens constantly. It pushed their LB's further outside the box and their safeties stopped coming up to stop the run. It totally stretched the field for us and opened up everything. We can't let them stack the box and blitzkrieg us and our zone read.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I still think the best we have done against their defense was the game in 2010 where we ran WR screens constantly. It pushed their LB's further outside the box and their safeties stopped coming up to stop the run. It totally stretched the field for us and opened up everything. We can't let them stack the box and blitzkrieg us and our zone read.
Watching their defense earlier this year, they were crushing offensive lines with a 4 man rush. The QB was having to throw before the WRs could make the Stanford back seven backup at all. We have a big break in their NT Perry being out (if he really is), but we should have the game plan we used against UCLA ready. The one that assumed our line couldn't protect Mariota past a 2 count. Henry Frick'n Andersen will be playing unfortunately and runs through double teams like he isnt blocked at all.

One of the big changes in the Stanford defense from the Luck era is they have significant speed in their secondary now while still being big hitters.

The Boyett like safety they had is missing, the replacement is faster but the injured guy had great instincts and a nose for the ball. A good break for us.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

All of the gameday guys picked us. Makes me kinda nervous.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard