Stanford @ #5 Oregon

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Sat, Nov 01 Stanford @ Oregon 4:30 p.m. FOX

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Re: Stanford @ #6 Oregon

Post by UofDuck »

The game sure feels different this year, but no less important for us. Just not the same intense national attention on it.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Stanford does have 3 losses but they love to spoil Oregon's season. This is Stanford's bowl game, they will do everything they can to prepare for this. I would not be surprised if Stanford loses to Oregon State today.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Stanford is already taking it to Oregon State 28-7
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

NOW Furd decides to have an offense.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Anyone else on the fence about whether Oregon wins this game. I thought maybe after the Washington game we might beat Stanford this year but now after the Cal game am not so sure.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Anyone else on the fence about whether Oregon wins this game. I thought maybe after the Washington game we might beat Stanford this year but now after the Cal game am not so sure.
I'm over the fence. I don't see how we will beat them with our defense.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

Oregon State is terrible. Might be the worst in the conference. Do not take anything that Stanford did today to heart.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

You do have to take some of what Stanford did today to heart since they went to a semi-hurryup offense and started using their weapons properly (Montgomery and McCaffery used to stretch the perimeter and their TEs up the middle of the field.) I have a feeling they'll also use Hogan much more in the ground game after seeing Oregon's continued struggles against mobile QBs.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Some of you are such chicken littles, it's amazing. Our D may not shut them down, but they won't shut our O down.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:Some of you are such chicken littles, it's amazing. Our D may not shut them down, but they won't shut our O down.
I think they'll slow Oregon down a little but I don't think they can shut them completely down. They are having some injury issues on defense along their front 7 so I don't think it they're as imposing on D as they were earlier in the season.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Some of you are such chicken littles, it's amazing. Our D may not shut them down, but they won't shut our O down.
I think they'll slow Oregon down a little but I don't think they can shut them completely down. They are having some injury issues on defense along their front 7 so I don't think it they're as imposing on D as they were earlier in the season.
I'm nervous about it, but I have confidence in the players and staff. We only need to look back at the last two years to see that we could have won both of those games as well. Mariota being hurt last year, Maldonado missing a field goal the year before, the hair splitting TD catch by Zack Ertz at Autzen, etc.

My biggest concerns are that the Ducks must establish a running game, even if it's Mariota here and there. Stanford has caused the Ducks a lot of grief by getting a huge push up the middle on offense between the guards and center. They blast through there and it's totally disrupted our offense the past couple years. I expect the Ducks to add a few wrinkles to keep them off balance and test different areas of their defense.

The biggest killers that Stanford had against us offensively was pounding the ball, wearing down our defense, controlling the clock and Hogan hurting us again and again by converting 3rd downs with his feet. It was really disheartening to see them keep racking up 1st downs and end long drives in the end zone. :(

I think we'd be well served to study what Arizona State did, too. Any tips would help.

I think we'll be fine. :) ;)
John 3:36
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ You bring up a good point, Mariota has to run to open up lanes for the offense elsewhere. Against Arizona he could have extended several drives by scrambling for first downs but was too patient and the pocket collapsed on him and drives were stalled. We need to take yards and first downs in any capacity. It will also cause hesitation the zone read if Mariota is running when given an opening.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

greenyellow wrote:You do have to take some of what Stanford did today to heart since they went to a semi-hurryup offense and started using their weapons properly (Montgomery and McCaffery used to stretch the perimeter and their TEs up the middle of the field.) I have a feeling they'll also use Hogan much more in the ground game after seeing Oregon's continued struggles against mobile QBs.

If Shaw has Stanford run any form of hurry up I will change my name to Hugh Janus.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
myostduck
One Star Recruit

Post by myostduck »

Hugely worried about Stanford. Starters and Freeman only manged 4.5 yards/carry against Kal. Now we're expected to establish the run against Stanford?? They gave up 12 yards rushing to OSU today. I know there's a huge talent and scheme discrepancy between us and our little brother, but it could be a problem this weekend. I can't live through another Stanford loss and I feel like they're gonna do anything they possibly can to "throw a party in the backfield" for the 3rd year in a row. We need to be as focused as EVER this week. I want revenge to bad. I spend some of today around the Stanford OSU tailgate area in Palo Alto wearing my Duck gear, and a lot of jeers I heard directed at me was that Stanford isn't afraid of Oregon at all. Gonna be an outstanding game next weekend. We gotta establish the LOS like we haven't the last 2 years against them. I hope Marcus is gonna play mad.