Stanford @ #5 Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Stanford @ #6 Oregon

Post by pezsez1 »

I am actually not worried. Cant say why for sure, just have that feeling that all the work that the ducks
have put in has been geared to beating Stanford. They bulked up over the off season to beat Stanford.
Oregon has more weapons this year and are playing at a high level. Marcus is healthy and the fans will
be as always crazy. Stanford is built to get a lead and keep the ball away. Maybe not as much but you know
Shaw knows just how quick the ducks can score, so i think Oregon needs to move the ball early and score early.
I feel the same way.

This Oregon team is bigger at RB and receiver, and we haven't given up any speed. We're a lot more sure-handed than we were last season... Marshall and Freeman have such good ball security, so Stanford isn't likely to be bailed out with fumbles deep in the redzone... and Marcus will be playing on TWO healthy legs, so he'll actually be able to take off and run, which he couldn't do last year (and we still moved the ball pretty well, but we committed too many offensive mistakes/turnovers to keep it close).

The other big difference is our passing game. It's just better this year. In fact, it's probably the best I've ever seen it. During the WSU game, when our O-line was at its worst, WSU tried to beat us by bringing serious heat, stuffing the run game and forcing Mariota to make super-quick throws... which he did, and we won. Last year or the year before, I'm not sure he'd have been able to make those quick throws... our receivers this year (Marshall included) have been surprisingly good. Stanford won't be able to focus on bottling up the run and Mariota as they've done the past two years.... they'll HAVE to respect the pass, or Marcus will eat them alive.

Plus, if we could pound the rock so well against that talented UW front seven, then I'm confident we'll have similar results against Stanford. Overall, Stanford's D is better, but that interior UW defense was no slouch.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

I think the Ducks will win fairly easily...but I did last year too. Oregons receivers seem to be coming into their own at the right time.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

The ducks should win this one but it is going to all boil down to time of possession. If the defense allows Stanford to sustain long drives that eat up the clock it’s going to be a long night.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Bud Lee wrote:The ducks should win this one but it is going to all boil down to time of possession. If the defense allows Stanford to sustain long drives that eat up the clock it’s going to be a long night.
Yep, 3rd down defense needs to be huge for Oregon. They've gotten better, but still need to improve. If Hogan keeps drives alive using his legs, Oregon will be in trouble.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

60% chance of rain on Saturday. Does that change the way we attack Stanford? Does it force them to stick with run, run, run?
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

ncduck wrote:60% chance of rain on Saturday. Does that change the way we attack Stanford? Does it force them to stick with run, run, run?
It never rains at Autzen Stadium!!! I doubt Oregon changes a thing if it does rain..
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ncduck wrote:60% chance of rain on Saturday. Does that change the way we attack Stanford? Does it force them to stick with run, run, run?
And other forecasts are predicting mostly cloudy with scattered AM showers. I don't think it'll be the worst weather we've ever seen.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckfan22 wrote:
It never rains at Autzen Stadium!!! I doubt Oregon changes a thing if it does rain..
Sometimes its not the rain but the wind that is the biggest problem.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

What I'm hoping is that the Ducks are a "big game" team this season. It seems to me that there have been three games this year so far that were widely perceived as some kind of significant "test" for the Ducks: MSU, UCLA and UW. Aside from the late game vomit at UCLA, I think those three games were the Ducks' best performances of the year. And I have to think, despite Stanford being unranked, that this game is being looked at similarly. Hoping it once again brings out the best in the Ducks.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Coach Aliotti made some really good comments on BFT explaining

1. How to defend the zone read and slow down running QBs.

2. How Stanford is less of a power running team this year. For those that haven't watched them, they use Montgomery like USC would use Marquise Lee and do a lot more "funky" stuff that just downhill running.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

GrantDuck wrote:Coach Aliotti made some really good comments on BFT explaining

1. How to defend the zone read and slow down running QBs.

2. How Stanford is less of a power running team this year. For those that haven't watched them, they use Montgomery like USC would use Marquise Lee and do a lot more "funky" stuff that just downhill running.
Coach Aliotti did a magnificent job keeping Pryor, Newton and the KSU hoss's running in check during big games. Will he be coordinating that from the booth or sideline this weekend? :-)
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Greenblood wrote:What I'm hoping is that the Ducks are a "big game" team this season. It seems to me that there have been three games this year so far that were widely perceived as some kind of significant "test" for the Ducks: MSU, UCLA and UW. Aside from the late game vomit at UCLA, I think those three games were the Ducks' best performances of the year. And I have to think, despite Stanford being unranked, that this game is being looked at similarly. Hoping it once again brings out the best in the Ducks.
Stanford could easily only have one loss. They lost on the last play vs Notre Dame and choked about 5-6 times in the red zone vs USC early in the season. Still, as someone else already pointed out, they're not the same type of downhill running team as they have been in the past and that bodes well for us - hopefully.
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm also excited to see more of a contribution from Mattingly. He was expected to be an impact player at LB before he got hurt in fall camp. He's had increasingly larger roles over the past couple games... same with Ragin.

The silver lining to our early season injuries is Oregon has the opportunity to peak at the right time.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

pezsez1 wrote:I'm also excited to see more of a contribution from Mattingly. He was expected to be an impact player at LB before he got hurt in fall camp. He's had increasingly larger roles over the past couple games... same with Ragin.

The silver lining to our early season injuries is Oregon has the opportunity to peak at the right time.
Mattingly has been pretty bad. Hope he improves...
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

greenyellow wrote:
And other forecasts are predicting mostly cloudy with scattered AM showers. I don't think it'll be the worst weather we've ever seen.
And if the issue is not so much if it might rain a little during the game but if the turf will be wet for the teams, I'll be surprised if it won't be given the forecast for plenty of rain in the Wed night-- Friday period.