Stanford @ #5 Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Stanford @ #5 Oregon

Post by Duck07 »

I wonder how much David Shaw is going to try and keep going back to the same well, so to speak in this game with the running game. I think he'll try it out early and see if it works but if we don't see it, we've got to expect it at some point unless we get out to a big lead of course. That's what I'm hoping for.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Duck07 wrote:I wonder how much David Shaw is going to try and keep going back to the same well, so to speak in this game with the running game. I think he'll try it out early and see if it works but if we don't see it, we've got to expect it at some point unless we get out to a big lead of course. That's what I'm hoping for.
Hogan turned the ball over twice in the first half. I vote we throw up 5 man fronts and force Hogan to beat us through the air.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Re: Stanford @ #6 Oregon

Post by Bud Lee »

ncduck wrote:60% chance of rain on Saturday. Does that change the way we attack Stanford? Does it force them to stick with run, run, run?

But....it never rains in Autzen!

Or Tiger stadium BTW
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I think weather is always a concern. In a tight game, just 1 dropped ball on a 3rd down could be an issue. However, the rain chances have declined as it looks like the weather system will come through on Friday instead. For the sake of recruiting, it wouldn't hurt for there to be no rain at all this weekend.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Yikes!!! Couple of big injuries for Stanford's defense and both are being filled by true freshman.

http://oregon.247sports.com/Bolt/Key-Ne ... r-32449037
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

I predict that Marshall will have a huge game
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

I'm hearing we've been practicing a 5-2 defense which we should use situationally against Stanford. Buckner, Daniels, French, and Washington rotating at DE with Kamp, AA, Buckner rotating inside and Balducci and Maloata holding down the NT.

Also Mattingly will get more run this week in this package.
andreezy
Two Star Recruit

Post by andreezy »

That's the first I've read about the 5-2, but I love the idea. Obviously not all game, but it would be nice to deploy occasionally. I'm all for making Kevin Hogan beat us, I really don't think he can.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

That is great news. Normally I think when you break your norm to match your opponent you almost always concede the upper hand and defeat.....but our normal front is at such a mismatch that it's required in this case.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Last year Stanford was 22nd Nationally in rushing at 207 yards per game.

This year they are 93rd in rushing at 141 yards per game.

Against OSU they relied on the big play. There touchdown drives were 2 and 1/2 to 4 minutes long. There 3 running backs average 5'9" 195 pounds.

They pass for almost twice as many yards as they run.

This is not the same offense Oregon has seen the last 2 years and the trend last game was to tilt even more speed versus power.

Will they go away from what they have been migrating to all season just for Oregon, trying to recapture the magic formula they may not have the personnel for? To me this will be the most fascinating thing to see. If they successfully ball control / power football us with the team they have this year that will be sad.

Hopefully we are prepared for what they did in years past but don't over-commit to it ignoring what they are best at now.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

EncinitasDuck wrote:Yikes!!! Couple of big injuries for Stanford's defense and both are being filled by true freshman.

Bummer for them, but we've played a couple games with a walk-on OL. It happens...

Both are pretty solid losses though, hopefully Oregon takes advantage (and I mean that respectfully, hope both guys recover quickly).

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

andreezy wrote:That's the first I've read about the 5-2, but I love the idea. Obviously not all game, but it would be nice to deploy occasionally. I'm all for making Kevin Hogan beat us, I really don't think he can.
We also have to spy Hogan. They won't have great success passing. Sure, they will have some, maybe even alot, but not enough to win the game. The real killer 2 years and running is Hogan running for 1st downs. We HAVE TO STOP HIS RUNNING FOR 1ST DOWNS EVERY SINGLE DRIVE.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:Yikes!!! Couple of big injuries for Stanford's defense and both are being filled by true freshman.

Bummer for them, but we've played a couple games with a walk-on OL. It happens...

Both are pretty solid losses though, hopefully Oregon takes advantage (and I mean that respectfully, hope both guys recover quickly).
Plus they didn't take it easy on us when Marcus was limping last year.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

We're gonna hang some lights on that tree. 8-)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Light 'em up!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!