Anyone agree with Canzano?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Anyone agree with Canzano?

Post by DAT_man_again »

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... cart_river

Personally I think he is full of it, as usual. Seems to be the only man in the country who thinks we need to win out with style points to make the playoff.
Last edited by DAT_man_again on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Anyone else agree with Canzano?

Post by pezsez1 »

Honestly, I don't think it matters too much.

The way I see it, there are pundits who like Oregon and pundits who don't like Oregon. Those who like Oregon will understand the context of our loss and notice that our D has stepped up in our highest-profile games. Meanwhile, those who don't like Oregon will say our loss to Arizona was bad, and they'll trot out total yardage stats to show why our defense is too inept to compete with anyone (just ignore that MSU game, heh ;) ).

Getting style points down the stretch couldn't hurt anything, and it may help a little... but win out, and we're in. It's that simple.

A Pac-12 title with just one loss (and that nonconference win against MSU) will ultimately mean so much more than style points.

Seriously, though, we could win the final games on our schedule by a combined score of 200-10 and rather than rag on our defense, the anti-Oregon pundits (looking at you, Holtz!) will just rag on the Pac-12 being weak (even though it's probably stronger from top to bottom this year than it's been at any point in the past five or six years).
Willie Taggart is a dick.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Premature to discuss at this point with Stanford on the horizon, but its pretty simple. Win and were in. Doesn't matter what the SEC does. The committee has been repeating the importance of a conference championship trophy, and if we win out and are the Pac-12 conference champions, were in. But that is a LONG time away. A ton of games between then and now.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I stopped reading when he said the Pac-12 isn't a very good conference. Look at OOC scheduling and performances and then tell me again that the Pac-12 isn't very good. I bet he thinks the SEC is awesome.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yeah, I seriously don't know what motivates Canzano. On one hand, he'll say he's basically objective and that he has no dog in any fight. Then, he turns around and says the Pac-12 is weak, even though it's plainly obvious that even the "bad" teams are now much more dangerous.

Consider these Pac-12 teams the Clown would refer to as bad:

WSU: 9th-best offense in the nation
Cal: 17th-best offense in the nation
Colorado: 29th-best offense in the nation
Oregon State: 22nd-best defense in the nation

Then there's Stanford with the no.2 defense, Arizona with the no.4 offense and Arizona State with the no. 13 offense. Heck, even UCLA has the no. 20-ranked offense. Just in conference play, we've already faced four of the nation's top-20 offenses.

Bottom line is there are no toothless teams in the Pac-12. This is the first year in a long time when literally every team is dangerous.

And as a side note, Michigan State has the 12th-ranked offense and the no. 8 defense... and we beat them by 20.

I don't think defenses in the Pac-12 are really that bad... I think the conference's offenses are just that good, and that's probably the result of teams changing their recruiting and practice/tempo habits to keep up with Oregon.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Canzano is a tool and his main purpose in life is to try and keep his job. He says stupid things to inflame fan bases so he gets the click throughs to prove to his bosses he is still relevant. He is a douchebag of the highest order and should have been canned a LONG time ago.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

By the way I realize the title of this thread makes it sound like I agree with this toolbag.

I absolutely do NOT.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DAT_man_again wrote:By the way I realize the title of this thread makes it sound like I agree with this toolbag.

I absolutely do NOT.
You can edit that title there bud. I mean, what idiot doesn't know that? :D
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

Duck07 wrote:
DAT_man_again wrote:By the way I realize the title of this thread makes it sound like I agree with this toolbag.

I absolutely do NOT.
You can edit that title there bud. I mean, what idiot doesn't know that? :D
Hahahaha

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Anyone agree with Canzano?

Post by Boom »

I could see Oregon being left out if Mississippi St, Auburn, Florida State, and Notre Dame win out.

That's a big if though.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

Boom wrote:I could see Oregon being left out if Mississippi St, Auburn, Florida State, and Notre Dame win out.

That's a big if though.

Yeah that won't happen. I think Auburn will lose twice more and ND is going to lose to ASU.

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I can't see a non-champ SE team being picked over a one-loss Pac-12 champion. That would just destroy any credibility of the playoff and cause massive upheaval among the power conferences.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

pezsez1 wrote:I can't see a non-champ SE team being picked over a one-loss Pac-12 champion. That would just destroy any credibility of the playoff and cause massive upheaval among the power conferences.
Auburn would have the more impressive resume in that scenario.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

No.

I didn't even have to click on the article.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Boom wrote:I could see Oregon being left out if Mississippi St, Auburn, Florida State, and Notre Dame win out.

That's a big if though.
Not a chance. If Oregon also won out in that scenario, there is no way Auburn would edge out Oregon. The entire western half of the U.S. would have no representation in a four-team playoff? That will not happen.