Are the coaches smoking crack cocaine?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

Oregon 6th in the latest poll, Michigan State 5th.

I realize this poll has absolutely no significance, but they shouldn't even let the coaches vote if they are going to do things like that. They also have a two loss LSU team ahead of one loss Utah who just beat a freaking ranked team. There is no way you should beat a ranked team and still get jumped by a team with more losses than you.

I know it doesn't matter. I know win out and were in. Committee rankings are what counts. But the coaches have proven time and again that they can't tell their elbows from their butts.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Are the coaches smoking crack cocaine?

Post by Phenom »

DAT_man_again wrote:Oregon 6th in the latest poll, Michigan State 5th.

I realize this poll has absolutely no significance, but they shouldn't even let the coaches vote if they are going to do things like that. They also have a two loss LSU team ahead of one loss Utah who just beat a freaking ranked team. There is no way you should beat a ranked team and still get jumped by a team with more losses than you.

I know it doesn't matter. I know win out and were in. Committee rankings are what counts. But the coaches have proven time and again that they can't tell their elbows from their butts.
The only reason why we can't play that card is because Arizona has the same record as us and they beat us.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I don't think the coaches give a f&$k about their poll. They probably have the waterboy fill it out. Every time I see it, I scratch my head at the unusual rankings.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

Phenom wrote:

The only reason why we can't play that card is because Arizona has the same record as us and they beat us.

True, but look at the circumstances of those games. We lost by a single score when we were without our starting tackles. We beat MSU by 19 when both teams were full strength.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

1. Mississippi St. (46) 7-0 1,486 1

2. Florida St. (14) 7-0 1,453 2

3. Alabama 7-1 1,290 4

4. Auburn 6-1 1,267 5

5. Oregon 7-1 1,199 6

6. Notre Dame 6-1 1,161 7

7. Mississippi 7-1 1,095 3

8. Michigan St. 7-1 1,086 8

9. Georgia 6-1 1,074 9

10. TCU 6-1 1,030 10

http://www.wkrg.com/story/27018314/alab ... atest-poll
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Is Rob Ford voting now?
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Phenom wrote:

Well, we'd have a legit excuse because of our injuries on the O-Line in that game. I seriously doubt that most voters would argue the point that Oregon would have won that game with Jake Fischer.

On the other hand, #7 Mississippi also beat #3 Alabama, so you'd think they'd have an argument as well. Fortunately most of those SEC teams play each other and the dust will settle.
John 3:36
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

If Ohio State goes 12-1 and Braxton Miller returns, they're going to be using the same argument that we did about their 1 loss too.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I think there's a big difference between Braxton Miller returning and Jake Fisher returning. Fisher has been a part of this team for pretty much the entire year, while Miller would have been a non-factor until the very, very end. I understand why some may make the argument, but the rationale just seems a bit off.

That said, the amount of SEC favortism in the polls is infuriating.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Duck07 wrote:If Ohio State goes 12-1 and Braxton Miller returns, they're going to be using the same argument that we did about their 1 loss too.
One word, schedule. That dog won't hunt:
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

QuackininBama wrote:
Duck07 wrote:If Ohio State goes 12-1 and Braxton Miller returns, they're going to be using the same argument that we did about their 1 loss too.

But they will have beaten MSU just like oregon.

A 1-loss toSU team SHOULD make the playoffs over a 2nd SEC team.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:I think there's a big difference between Braxton Miller returning and Jake Fisher returning. Fisher has been a part of this team for pretty much the entire year, while Miller would have been a non-factor until the very, very end. I understand why some may make the argument, but the rationale just seems a bit off.

That said, the amount of SEC favortism in the polls is infuriating.
You also have to look at the team that they lost to, Virginia Tech, vs Arizona. UA only has one loss and is ranked #14 while Tech is hovering around .500.
John 3:36
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Edit: nm
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

fpsduck wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:

But they will have beaten MSU just like oregon.

A 1-loss toSU team SHOULD make the playoffs over a 2nd SEC team.
You think that schedule is better then a 1-loss SEC team? Seriously?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

You think that schedule is better then a 1-loss SEC team? Seriously?
Well the SEC is a bit overhyped, so you've got to take that into account.

Bottom line, though, I think if you have two comparable one-loss teams -- and one is a power conference champion and the other isn't -- you go with the conference champion.

All those awesome SEC teams can play their ways into the playoff by winning their conference championship, just like everyone else is expected to do.
Willie Taggart is a dick.