Oregon 5th in first committee rankings

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Oregon 5th in first committee rankings

Post by Duck07 »

Gosh, I really hope the BB committee starts coming up with these as well. It's really going to help make the picture clearer by season's end.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

DAT_man_again wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:The thing that bothers me is this. They basically went with the AP poll. No thinking outside the box, no accounting for injuries or SOS, its the AP poll. So what is the committee for if they are going to mirror the AP poll? I realize just like the Pac, the SEC has to all play each other still, but IF, just for arguments sake the final poll is Mississippi State, Florida State, Alabama, Auburn, they are seriously just going to have an SEC playoff? That is change?

They put Ole miss three spots above where they were in the AP. They put Alabama 3 spots lower than they were in the AP. They put Notre Dame four spots back. They bumped Arizona up two. Not like AP at all.
All they did was switch around the SEC teams. They still have 3 SEC teams in. I was hoping for a more balanced approach. I didn't see it.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I wonder if they all realize Ole Miss just lost...I have no problem with the current rankings, win and we're in, but we have a comparable best win with Ole Miss and a better loss, no doubt they got it wrong puting Ole Miss ahead of Oregon.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

pudgejeff wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Really tough to complain about anything with it being so early still. Oregon's (and just about everyone in the top 10) road to a playoff berth is as easy as winning out.
But this pretty much says the only 2 loss team that can get in is from the SEC.

I don't think it says that, I think it says that of the 12 or so one lost teams they feel that the two from the SEC are the best teams on the board as of today. Obviously that will not stand at the end of the year.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I wonder if they all realize Ole Miss just lost...I have no problem with the current rankings, win and we're in, but we have a comparable best win with Ole Miss and a better loss, no doubt they got it wrong puting Ole Miss ahead of Oregon.

I would honestly say the duck's lost is not better than Ole Miss'.

The ducks lost at home , to an unranked team by a touchdown.

Ole miss lost on the road against a ranked team that two losses were to two current top 5 teams

Honestly what it boils down to is I believe we could beat Arizona easily so I am admitally completely bias here :lol:
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

What was everyone expecting with this? You knew there would be three SEC teams and Florida State. Frankly, I'm shocked that Bama is below Ole Miss and us given how they've played the last few weeks. Win out and we are in, that's all that matters and all I really care about.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The SEC is totally overranked this year. I don't necessarily think the SEC is overrated -- those teams are still good -- but they're definitely overranked. It's at the point now where if one beats another, they'll just flip spots but stay highly ranked. It's so arbitrary and weird.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

pezsez1 wrote:The SEC is totally overranked this year. I don't necessarily think the SEC is overrated -- those teams are still good -- but they're definitely overranked. It's at the point now where if one beats another, they'll just flip spots but stay highly ranked. It's so arbitrary and weird.
Not to sound like an ESPN talking head but that's the kind of "bias" you get when your conference has won 8 of the last 9 national championships or whatever the number is. Do I think the conference as a whole is overrated...yes. But I do think Miss State and Auburn deserve to be in the top 4. I would have never voted Ole Miss in though, I just don't think they are that good. They have a good defense but their offense makes Stanford look like TCU/Baylor. If it was me voting, I would have said Miss State, FSU, Auburn and Alabama, based solely off of their last couple of weeks. I would have Oregon 5, TCU 6 and probably Mich State 7.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Looks good to me. Ole Miss/Miss State; Auburn/Bama still have to play each other.

Notre Dame at 10.

Auburn being rewarded for travelling to K-State.

Arizona being bumped a bit higher than in the national polls.

Overall, solid job.

Win and we're in.
Ole Miss plays Auburn too. Just win em all Ducks!

I do believe Auburn also plays Georgia and Alabama and Mississippi State play, too. If Alabama wins out they deserve to be in. They play at LSU and then have MSU and Auburn at home. Plus, they'd likely have to play Georgia, who may only have one loss, too, in the conference championship game.

Someone on ESPN made a great point about how the selection committee is not biased toward the SEC because of these rankings. The only two members who have an SEC connection are Jeff Long, current AD at Arkansas, and Archie Manning, former player at Ol' Miss, but he's not even on there now because of personal reasons.

Do you want to know which conference is by far represented the best on that committee?

The Pac-12 conference. I kid you not. Check this out. Of the 12 remaining committee members:

1. Condoleeza Rice (Stanford Alum & Former Stanford Provost)

2. Pat Haden (Former USC player & current USC AD)

3. Tyrone Willingham (Former head coach at Stanford and Washington)

4. Tom Jernstedt (Former NCAA Executive Vice President AND 4 Year Football Player At Oregon!)

That's a full 1/3 of the selection committee with Pac-12 ties.

Here's a link to the rest:

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/s ... -committee

There's a wide array of members from different conferences, as well as a retired member of the media and retired 3 Star Air Force General.

It appears that these individuals are simply calling it like they see it right now and will allow it to play itself out as the season moves forward.

If I'm not mistaken, this committee will remain intact for 3 years before a new committee is selected.

Here's another piece of trivia that some of you might not know. Mike Bellotti was asked to be on the committee, but he couldn't do it because he's an employee of ESPN.
John 3:36
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Bud Lee wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I wonder if they all realize Ole Miss just lost...I have no problem with the current rankings, win and we're in, but we have a comparable best win with Ole Miss and a better loss, no doubt they got it wrong puting Ole Miss ahead of Oregon.

Ole miss lost on the road against a ranked team that two losses were to two current top 5 teams

Honestly what it boils down to is I believe we could beat Arizona easily so I am admitally completely bias here :lol:
Would that be the team that has only lost one game all year long and were undefeated when they played Oregon? Name me ONE, just ONE SEC team that is undefeated and unranked. I will wait.

SEC
SEC
SEC
SEC

Yea...............
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

Bud Lee wrote:

Neutral site? Beginning of the year version of Zona, id take LSU. Oregon game through now version of Zona, id take the Cats.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Duck24 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:The SEC is totally overranked this year. I don't necessarily think the SEC is overrated -- those teams are still good -- but they're definitely overranked. It's at the point now where if one beats another, they'll just flip spots but stay highly ranked. It's so arbitrary and weird.
Not to sound like an ESPN talking head but that's the kind of "bias" you get when your conference has won 8 of the last 9 national championships or whatever the number is. Do I think the conference as a whole is overrated...yes. But I do think Miss State and Auburn deserve to be in the top 4. I would have never voted Ole Miss in though, I just don't think they are that good. They have a good defense but their offense makes Stanford look like TCU/Baylor. If it was me voting, I would have said Miss State, FSU, Auburn and Alabama, based solely off of their last couple of weeks. I would have Oregon 5, TCU 6 and probably Mich State 7.
Bingo. The whole country can solve the SEC bias problem pretty easily: just beat 'em. That's happened so rarely in the last decade though that I mostly roll my eyes at the complaints.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Looks good to me. Ole Miss/Miss State; Auburn/Bama still have to play each other.

Notre Dame at 10.

Auburn being rewarded for travelling to K-State.

Arizona being bumped a bit higher than in the national polls.

Overall, solid job.

Win and we're in.
Ole Miss plays Auburn too. Just win em all Ducks!
Win The Day.....and do so in a convincing manner...Week after Week.....GOOOOOOO DUCKS
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

No 2 loss SEC team will be in the playoffs ahead of a 1 loss PAC 12, Big 10 or Big 12 team. I doubt you will see 2 SEC teams in the playoffs. It will be the SEC Champion FSU, Michigan State, and Oregon if they win out. If MSU or Oregon get a 2nd loss, then a 1 loss TCU could get in. We just have to win out and hopefully UA wins the south.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

duck58 wrote:No 2 loss SEC team will be in the playoffs ahead of a 1 loss PAC 12, Big 10 or Big 12 team. I doubt you will see 2 SEC teams in the playoffs. It will be the SEC Champion FSU, Michigan State, and Oregon if they win out. If MSU or Oregon get a 2nd loss, then a 1 loss TCU could get in. We just have to win out and hopefully UA wins the south.

Yeah, thats the way I see it too, with the addition that there very well may be a 2 loss SEC west Champion representing in the playoffs.

The only way you will get two SEC teams this year if you have a 2 loss champion, a 1 loss Georgia and one of the other contenders in a power five conference tanks it big time. Which I don't see happening.