GM: Boston Celtics GM

AA and DP on Stanford

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: AA and DP on Stanford

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Interesting that none of the media asks about their horrific third down defense. It must be the elephant in the room. Nobody ever brings it up. Given Stanford's success running the ball I would think somebody would ask the DC why the defense simply can not get off the field on 3rd down. Stanford will use a heavy dose of running the ball until Oregon can show they can stuff the run more than 1 time.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Interesting that none of the media asks about their horrific third down defense. It must be the elephant in the room. Nobody ever brings it up. Given Stanford's success running the ball I would think somebody would ask the DC why the defense simply can not get off the field on 3rd down. Stanford will use a heavy dose of running the ball until Oregon can show they can stuff the run more than 1 time.
Oregon's third down conversion rate is truly horrible even by Oregon's past standards. Stanford though is the 91st ranked rushing team in the country. They have been a bad ball control team by their past standards. Because their offense has been so bad and their defense so good. Stanford games this year have averaged more possessions for each team per game then Oregon games.

When Stanford has the ball it will be a battle of worse against worse particularly on 3rd down. When Oregon has the ball it will be best against best.

I was actually encouraged that DP acknowledged that they have to prepare for both what Stanford used to be (and probably would prefer to be) and what thy are doing now. They may fail to execute but it wont be because they prepared for the wrong team.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:Interesting that none of the media asks about their horrific third down defense. It must be the elephant in the room. Nobody ever brings it up. Given Stanford's success running the ball I would think somebody would ask the DC why the defense simply can not get off the field on 3rd down. Stanford will use a heavy dose of running the ball until Oregon can show they can stuff the run more than 1 time.
Oregon's third down conversion rate is truly horrible even by Oregon's past standards. Stanford though is the 91st ranked rushing team in the country. They have been a bad ball control team by their past standards. Because their offense has been so bad and their defense so good. Stanford games this year have averaged more possessions for each team per game then Oregon games.

When Stanford has the ball it will be a battle of worse against worse particularly on 3rd down. When Oregon has the ball it will be best against best.

I was actually encouraged that DP acknowledged that they have to prepare for both what Stanford used to be (and probably would prefer to be) and what thy are doing now. They may fail to execute but it wont be because they prepared for the wrong team.
Cal and WSU are both ranked worse and had no problem running on us. I don't see us having much of an answer for Stanford on 3rd down.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

karlhungis wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

Cal and WSU are both ranked worse and had no problem running on us. I don't see us having much of an answer for Stanford on 3rd down.
Very True.

On the plus side though the Stanford offense and rushing attack is significantly worse then UCLA and a little worse than Washington and we held both to 10 points for the first 3 quarters so there is hope. UCLA's Perkins is much more of a power back than any of Stanford's backs and Hundley is as good or better runner than Hogan.