Ed Cunningham Still Sucks - Picks FSU Over Ducks

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Ed Cunningham Still Sucks - Picks FSU Over Ducks

Post by SuperDuck »

He was co-host on College Football Bowl Mania last night and during the Rose Bowl review he was all "Jameis Winston's never lost, the Ducks won't be able to stop Winston or TE Nick O'Leary, Oregon's defense isn't that good, Arizona just played a bad game offensively more than Oregon's defense shutting them down" and on and on. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but that's the gist of it.

Then after saying all that he said he was only taking FSU by 1 point and it was his #1 uncertain pick. Husky scum!

Robert Smith, who I don't always agree with either, really emphasized the fact that FSUs defense is not very good and that they won't be able to stop the Ducks. He took them as his 34th most confident.

The reality is that Cunningham is always going to be a Duck hater. I just cringe whenever I see that he's on a show, calling an Oregon game, etc. It almost makes it unenjoyable.
John 3:36
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Ed Cunningham Still Sucks - Picks FSU Over Ducks

Post by QuackininBama »

Reminds me of David Pollack. It seems no matter who we play in a big game he picks against us. At this point its so ridiculous I consider it good luck. He picked against us for Stanford, UCLA, and the Pac-12 championship game. THANKS POLLACK! I hope he picks FSU. Makes it nearly a guaranteed win!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

QuackininBama wrote:Reminds me of David Pollack. It seems no matter who we play in a big game he picks against us. At this point its so ridiculous I consider it good luck. He picked against us for Stanford, UCLA, and the Pac-12 championship game. THANKS POLLACK! I hope he picks FSU. Makes it nearly a guaranteed win!
I've seen Pollack make quite a few nice statements about Oregon this year. I think he's starting to see the light, if you will. I know his final guess for the Playoff was Alabma, Oregon, FSU, TCU.

Cunningham however can't get past the fact that his once boastful program is nothing more than 2nd best in the NW and his commentary always sounds like he's living in the past as he's got to include some disclaimer that Oregon wasn't always this good back when he played. It'd be like Mike Bellotti bringing up Billy Jo Hobert's indiscretions or how Hugh McEllheny made more $ his SR year than his rookie season in SF. He just comes off as bitter and you're left wondering why he's even talking about it.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

He is the worst.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Think about it this way though.....could you compliment the Huskies and hide your disdain for them and shower them with praises for millions to see? I know that I couldn't. Frankly I'm ok with Cunningham hating us because in his shoes there is no way that I could be impartial when it comes to the Huskies.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Think about it this way though.....could you compliment the Huskies and hide your disdain for them and shower them with praises for millions to see? I know that I couldn't. Frankly I'm ok with Cunningham hating us because in his shoes there is no way that I could be impartial when it comes to the Huskies.
It's okay for him to say that he's a Husky and that they're the Ducks biggest rival, but he should still at least show some professionalism. This isn't an isolated incident. The guys hates the Ducks and doesn't have a problem dissing them or selling them short whenever he has an opportunity. Personally, I think the guy needs counseling.

I don't see Mike Bellotti, Joey Harrington or any other former Duck acting that way toward UW.

By the way, the show just came on again on ESPNU if anyone can stomach it.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

To your point Super, Brock Huard is still able to be a poodle and and a professional whenever he's had an Oregon game. With the volume of former players/coaches taking over media roles, professionalism matters.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Duck07 wrote:To your point Super, Brock Huard is still able to be a poodle and and a professional whenever he's had an Oregon game. With the volume of former players/coaches taking over media roles, professionalism matters.
I don't mind Brock at all. Hell, even Slick Rick is pretty tolerable as an analyst.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Yeah, Brock Huard is okay. Love your school, but if you feel the need to hate, do it in private.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

This show is just straight up bad. They just got done claiming that Jameis is the vastly better passer because he's more accurate. Not only does Jameis have drastically more INT's, he doesn't even have a better completion %. The automatic excuse for this is because Jameis has to make tougher throws whereas Marcus is all easy throws. This ignores a basic capstone to being a QB: Decision making when reading coverages.

You can talk all you want about scheme but nobody has the ability to know exactly where the QB's eyes are looking on each play but we do see where they end up going on the play. That Marcus doesn't make bad throws on a regular basis tells me he is able to quickly make decisions on what's he seeing whereas Jameis struggles with that.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck07 wrote:This show is just straight up bad. They just got done claiming that Jameis is the vastly better passer because he's more accurate. Not only does Jameis have drastically more INT's, he doesn't even have a better completion %. The automatic excuse for this is because Jameis has to make tougher throws whereas Marcus is all easy throws. This ignores a basic capstone to being a QB: Decision making when reading coverages.

You can talk all you want about scheme but nobody has the ability to know exactly where the QB's eyes are looking on each play but we do see where they end up going on the play. That Marcus doesn't make bad throws on a regular basis tells me he is able to quickly make decisions on what's he seeing whereas Jameis struggles with that.
I told ya'. ;)
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Cunningham was at it again today on College Football Live! Brock Huard was on there, too, and he even seemed taken aback by what this idiot was saying about Oregon and how Mariota could lose his confidence once a star FSU defender (I can't remember his name) smashed him in the mouth.

Dude was like "what if Mariota gets back to practice, is distracted from the awards ceremonies, pulls a hamstring in practice and the injury lingers into the game? What if Mariota throws a pick 6 in the first quarter? He could be rattled. What if FSU goes up 14-0 and Oregon is playing from behind?"

Of course, I'm paraphrasing, but this guy is obsessed! He needs to be removed from anything related to Oregon athletics. At least Brock Huard calls things fairly. Cunningham is nuts! I can't stand that guy!
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Heard Huard on the radio this morning and he was saying he was shocked at out much anti-Mariota sentiment was coming from Bristol, CT and ESPN. How basically a lot of the talking heads there were on the same line of "he can't throw from the pocket" "he's another Manziel" types of story lines, when in his eyes Mariota can "stand in the pocket and make every throw".
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

GrantDuck wrote:Heard Huard on the radio this morning and he was saying he was shocked at out much anti-Mariota sentiment was coming from Bristol, CT and ESPN. How basically a lot of the talking heads there were on the same line of "he can't throw from the pocket" "he's another Manziel" types of story lines, when in his eyes Mariota can "stand in the pocket and make every throw".
Yep, it's not just Cunningham, though he's the worst.

Another thing that gets me is how they continue to use comparisons of QBs at the next level when talking about the Rose Bowl, Mariota and Jameis Winston. The next level has NOTHING to do with with this game!!! The Rose Bowl is a college football game, not the NFL!

Those discussions about who's best ready to play at the next level should really be postponed until we're close to NFL draft time. That's assuming, of course, that Mariota declares. He still seems genuine about having not decided yet.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I know its hilarious. Mariota is being punished for finding the open receiver on any given play. Now since he is able to read the defense and find the open receiver that means he "can't make the NFL throws". Seriously?

What Marcus needs to do is start throwing into double and triple coverage, that way it will show he can "make the tough throws". I call them dumb throws but maybe thats what they want?
Ohhh and also he needs to just stand in the pocket no matter what and take the sack because if you scramble out of a collapsing pocket to buy more time to make the throw, that just means your not a TRUE NFL quarterback, your just an athlete. If you want to be a true pocket passer, just stay there and get sacked.