Oregon Defensive Line Secrets: Stopping the Run

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Oregon Defensive Line Secrets: Stopping the Run

Post by FishDuck »

After that incredible performance in the Pac-12 Championship and with their continued improvement through season—we had to look at how the defensive line took away the Wildcat running game. Something we all can enjoy!

http://fishduck.com/2014/12/oregon-defe ... g-the-run/
Duck07
All-American

Re: Oregon Defensive Line Secrets: Stopping the Run

Post by Duck07 »

I really feel that this year our DL is going to be the difference for us in the CFP. We've seen it before where a talented DL can wreak havoc and as you point out, our DL's ability to win the battle and disengage from the OL is what has really started to set this defense apart from where it was earlier in the year. Add in the improvement from Walker and Hardrick and it really allows us to be stout up the middle.

I keep getting this feeling that FSU is going to try and Stanford-us with a ball control offense and I don't think its going to work for them.
FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by FishDuck »

I would agree about the progress of the defense and I have not yet read enough of FSU to form an opinion--but that is an interesting take. Of course every team that plays us says they need to ball control.

I'm not sure I've seen a D-Line ALL control their man as much as what I saw in the Pac-12 Championship. What a perfect time for this defense to peak! And I love what Mattingly and Walker were doing and it appeared that Hardrick was following his assignments better.

I'm crossing my fingers, but the Grizzled Ol' Coach thinks we win big...... :o
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

FishDuck wrote:I would agree about the progress of the defense and I have not yet read enough of FSU to form an opinion--but that is an interesting take. Of course every team that plays us says they need to ball control.

I'm not sure I've seen a D-Line ALL control their man as much as what I saw in the Pac-12 Championship. What a perfect time for this defense to peak! And I love what Mattingly and Walker were doing and it appeared that Hardrick was following his assignments better.

FSU is going to be strong up the middle but they are going to hate that they can't have their starting C play against us. Cameron Erving is a really good LT who has moved inside to C. That makes them strong up the middle but it means they've got a freshman at LT instead. I see us winning that battle as last season also saw strong DL play in the bowl game. Conversely, most FSU fans think DE Eddie Goldman is going to have a field day against Jake Fisher. They are under the assumption that our OL and DL have the same talent as the 2010 team. Rather, we've got NFL talent on both sides too. Armstead and Buckner are both 1/2 RD talent at DE and Balducci is a 4+ based on next years progression. Grasu is a 2nd, Fisher 2/3 and Hamani is a 6/7 but his back-up Pisarcik has NFL bloodlines, Hunt is solid prospect and Crosby may end up a 1st when he leaves.

It's going to be a great game.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Duck07 wrote:
FishDuck wrote:I would agree about the progress of the defense and I have not yet read enough of FSU to form an opinion--but that is an interesting take. Of course every team that plays us says they need to ball control.

FSU is going to be strong up the middle but they are going to hate that they can't have their starting C play against us. Cameron Erving is a really good LT who has moved inside to C. That makes them strong up the middle but it means they've got a freshman at LT instead. I see us winning that battle as last season also saw strong DL play in the bowl game. Conversely, most FSU fans think DE Eddie Goldman is going to have a field day against Jake Fisher. They are under the assumption that our OL and DL have the same talent as the 2010 team. Rather, we've got NFL talent on both sides too. Armstead and Buckner are both 1/2 RD talent at DE and Balducci is a 4+ based on next years progression. Grasu is a 2nd, Fisher 2/3 and Hamani is a 6/7 but his back-up Pisarcik has NFL bloodlines, Hunt is solid prospect and Crosby may end up a 1st when he leaves.

It's going to be a great game.
And by the playoffs, Armstead and Buckner will FINALLY be healthy
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Yeah, FSU and its fans are in for a rude awakening. They are really underselling our talent, especially in the trenches. The way our D played the last 3 games, really impressed me. I think both the players and Pellum really started to figure it out, and it all came to a head vs Arizona. I'm excited to see what they do vs FSU, and won't be shocked if we hold them under 24 pts, because let's be honest, they have all the talent in the world but at probabley about the 4-5 best O we played this year.