Rand Getlin (Yahoo!): Oregon DL Arik Armstead leaning toward

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Rand Getlin (Yahoo!): Oregon DL Arik Armstead leaning to

Post by buckmarkduck »

QuackininBama wrote:
KingofDucks wrote:Ya, a few weeks ago, I was hearing that he's gone and Buckner is leaning towards staying.
WOW, thats interesting. I think Buck is WAY more polished then Armstead.
Yeah my source told me a few weeks ago, that the coaches had stopped recruiting some DL because one of the DL they though was leaving said he isn't. Take fwiw, because he can always change his mind, but Im pretty sure it was Buckner who told them that. Hope he stays, he could be special next year. Give him a year next to both Alex B and big Rex, and he could dominate.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

The Ducks will be in great shape on the defensive line next season if Buckner returns. The starting three may not have the same pure talent/potential, but the overall quality of depth should be much improved with the experience gained by all the players this year. Buckner will continue to be the rock. Balducci improved a lot as the season progressed and should play at that higher level the whole year as a senior. Like most JC linemen, Talia should make a big jump in his second year in the program. Kamp should continue to be a solid, versatile backup at multiple DL positions as a senior. Maloata, Mondeaux and Daniel all gained valuable experience and should be much better next season for it. I don't know if Bair is going to stay at OL or move back to DL, but he could potentially provide even more depth. That is without even factoring young talents like Jalen Jelks and Canton Kaumatule being added to the mix (I think all the other DL recruits will redshirt).

The only glaring concern on defense next season from a depth/experience standpoint is corner.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

gogreen55 wrote:The Ducks will be in great shape on the defensive line next season if Buckner returns. The starting three may not have the same pure talent/potential, but the overall quality of depth should be much improved with the experience gained by all the players this year. Buckner will continue to be the rock. Balducci improved a lot as the season progressed and should play at that higher level the whole year as a senior. Like most JC linemen, Talia should make a big jump in his second year in the program. Kamp should continue to be a solid, versatile backup at multiple DL positions as a senior. Maloata, Mondeaux and Daniel all gained valuable experience and should be much better next season for it. I don't know if Bair is going to stay at OL or move back to DL, but he could potentially provide even more depth. That is without even factoring young talents like Jalen Jelks and Canton Kaumatule being added to the mix (I think all the other DL recruits will redshirt).

The only glaring concern on defense next season from a depth/experience standpoint is corner.
I'd argue that Canton has more talent and potential than Arik does, and that he's much further along at the same stage. I honestly think, if he stays healthy, he will be our best DL since Ngata.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Yeah, I agree about Canton over the course of his career. Just looking at next season though, I temper my expectations a bit when it comes to true freshmen on the DL.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

QuackininBama wrote:
KingofDucks wrote:Ya, a few weeks ago, I was hearing that he's gone and Buckner is leaning towards staying.
WOW, thats interesting. I think Buck is WAY more polished then Armstead.
Upside. I think the potential for AA is as high as another DL in the draft. If coaches think there's untapped potential, they will take the risk on a guy like AA. Like the article said, everything about him is perfect, just needs to polish up and keep improving.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Ten underclassmen who should forgo 2015 NFL Draft
Oregon DL Arik Armstead

There's word that Armstead is strongly leaning toward entering the 2015 draft, but I think he could use another year in school. He has a basketball background and is a very intriguing athlete who improved as the season progressed. Armstead is like an erector set -- he's big and long-levered. Another year of working on maintaining leverage against blockers and getting stronger could help him a lot.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfl-draft

Like I was saying, someone needs to talk some sense into him.