Rand Getlin (Yahoo!): Oregon DL Arik Armstead leaning toward

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Rand Getlin (Yahoo!): Oregon DL Arik Armstead leaning toward

Post by JustisM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--o ... 54411.html

Not a big surprise here, but it's interesting he bumped up his insurance policy 3 M in-season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Rand Getlin (Yahoo!): Oregon DL Arik Armstead leaning to

Post by UOducksTK1 »

He's projected to go 2nd round by most, so if he could bump his stock even a little to get into the 1st round, he's most definitely gone.

Although, if he stayed another year, perhaps he could improve on that?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:He's projected to go 2nd round by most, so if he could bump his stock even a little to get into the 1st round, he's most definitely gone.

There is a significant amount of difference between the contracts in the top half of the 1st vs mid 2nd. The counter is that the earlier you get to the league, the better chance at a 2nd and 3rd contract. I'm of the mindset that you're better off to grow in college and be a dominant player entering the league vs having to acclimate.
JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Post by JustisM »

Duck07 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:He's projected to go 2nd round by most, so if he could bump his stock even a little to get into the 1st round, he's most definitely gone.

There is a significant amount of difference between the contracts in the top half of the 1st vs mid 2nd. The counter is that the earlier you get to the league, the better chance at a 2nd and 3rd contract. I'm of the mindset that you're better off to grow in college and be a dominant player entering the league vs having to acclimate.
They don't give out 5M+ insurance policies to guys that are projected to go outside of the first round, FWIW.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

I have class with his girlfriend, he's 100% gone after this year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

JustisM wrote: They don't give out 5M+ insurance policies to guys that are projected to go outside of the first round, FWIW.
5M is a mid 2nd rd contract. Ifo might have lost $ by coming back whereas Leonard Williams at USC probably doubled his contract from 7 to 14 (late 1st to top 10). Arik could find himself in a similar position and the same goes for Buckner. Marcus could come back for another year, even slide in the draft through no fault of his own, and still be fine because he can rack up the endorsement $. Which is why I think Nike will sign him to a BIG deal in 1 year, not 6 weeks :mrgreen:
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

He could definitely use another year but I don't think that matters to him. I hope he does well.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

Ya, a few weeks ago, I was hearing that he's gone and Buckner is leaning towards staying.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

KingofDucks wrote:Ya, a few weeks ago, I was hearing that he's gone and Buckner is leaning towards staying.
Yeah pretty much everyone with inside knowledge of the team is saying the same.

I think he could really benefit himself by staying another year.....but not sure if anyone remembers but his brother was a top player and stayed in school and they found health problems at USC and it ended his football career. I think that plays into it a lot and Arik wants to get that payday as soon as he can.
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

KoD- I have heard the same about Buckner. That is that he is "likely" staying.
MM in Cali
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Well if we have to lose one let it be Armstead. He's a beast and all but he's hurt a lot. I figure if he stays he misses at least 2-3 games with something like that nagging ankle injury that bothered him what seemed like all year.

On the other hand Buckner seems to be almost injury proof and if he's banged up you would hardly notice.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Let's hope he has a DOMINANT playoff and will go in the first round. ;)
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

EncinitasDuck wrote:Well if we have to lose one let it be Armstead. He's a beast and all but he's hurt a lot. I figure if he stays he misses at least 2-3 games with something like that nagging ankle injury that bothered him what seemed like all year.

On the other hand Buckner seems to be almost injury proof and if he's banged up you would hardly notice.
I was thinking the same thing. I hate to see him leave but a continued pattern of injuries would likely affect his draft stock. I hope he plays spectacular in the postseason, though. :D

Next man up!
John 3:36
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

KingofDucks wrote:Ya, a few weeks ago, I was hearing that he's gone and Buckner is leaning towards staying.
WOW, thats interesting. I think Buck is WAY more polished then Armstead.
JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Post by JustisM »

Duck07 wrote:
JustisM wrote: They don't give out 5M+ insurance policies to guys that are projected to go outside of the first round, FWIW.
5M is a mid 2nd rd contract. Ifo might have lost $ by coming back whereas Leonard Williams at USC probably doubled his contract from 7 to 14 (late 1st to top 10). Arik could find himself in a similar position and the same goes for Buckner. Marcus could come back for another year, even slide in the draft through no fault of his own, and still be fine because he can rack up the endorsement $. Which is why I think Nike will sign him to a BIG deal in 1 year, not 6 weeks :mrgreen:
Insurance policies=/=contract. Those work a bit different. I think Jermichael Finley could only get in that range, FWIW, to put that into perspective.

Ifo is probably best as a FS at this point. He'll be a slot CB at the next level.