Ifo may have torn ACL in today's practice

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Ifo may have torn ACL in today's practice

Post by SuperDuck »

I'm watching "College Football Live" and they were discussing it a few minutes ago. Trever Matich, who I usually have a lot of respect for, said something along the lines of "losing Ifo changes the game, because it's going to make us weaker elsewhere on defense. They'll definitely still have to take away Greene, who's Jameis Winston's primary target. The problem is that 3 of the top 4 backups behind Ifo are freshman that haven't played a lot."

He then started talking about the other FSU receivers, who are also mostly freshman, how many drops they've had this season and how they'll have to clean that up against Oregon.

Did I miss something or did he basically say that it's going to be some of Oregon's freshman corners (except Dior Mathis) vs some of FSU's freshman receivers who've had trouble catching the ball?

Here are Florida State's stats this year:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/tea ... -seminoles

Of course, the receiving yards can be a bit deceiving as Dalvin Cook has emerged as a serious receiving threat, as well. Still, I see a significant dropoff in production from their receivers once you get past Greene and O'Leary, and Greene is their primary deep threat.

I see them testing us deep early and often, but if we show that we can hold our own, which I think we can, I don't think losing Ifo will be as damaging as initially thought.

On the other hand, "if" we play well enough to get past FSU, Alabama will be even more difficult to defend, with Amari Cooper and company, their stout two headed running game and a mobile QB (Sims).
Last edited by SuperDuck on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:36
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

greenyellow wrote:From Rob Moseley:
Troy Hill was asked by a member of the media if he's "next man up" for Ifo. "Am I next man up? I've been up. I don't know what you mean."

Sometimes have to wonder if reporters pay attention at all to who's actually been playing, besides the star players.
Thinking on the best possible angle for the question, could the reporter have meant that now Troy instead of Ifo will be on Greene? But if not, yeah, huh? . . .
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

SuperDuck wrote:.......
Of course, the receiving yards can be a bit deceiving as Dalvin Cook has emerged as a serious receiving threat, as well. Still, I see a significant dropoff in production from their receivers once you get past Greene and O'Leary, and Greene is their primary deep threat.
Their #2 WR is Sophmore Geez Wilson. Only 2 Duck WRs had more catches this year than he did.

Third in WR receptions is Freshman Travis Rudolf, Rivals #1 rated receiver in his class. His 32 receptions are more than Lowe, Brown, Carrington and Nelson have had for us.

Either of these guys are going to be a handful for Seisay and whoever draws the long straw to back him and Hill up.

While I am NOT saying all is lost, I recall entire seasons have been destroyed let alone games when you stick a not ready for prime time corner out there. Corners and safeties playing Nickel are hard to hide. To protect one requires scrapping a whole of options in your coverages and blitz packages.

We are so thin at corner, we can guess at the Nickel, but if either CB needs a blow who are we running out there and will it take 1 or 2 seconds before FSU isolates and targets him?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Greenblood wrote:
greenyellow wrote:From Rob Moseley:
Troy Hill was asked by a member of the media if he's "next man up" for Ifo. "Am I next man up? I've been up. I don't know what you mean."

Sometimes have to wonder if reporters pay attention at all to who's actually been playing, besides the star players.
Thinking on the best possible angle for the question, could the reporter have meant that now Troy instead of Ifo will be on Greene? But if not, yeah, huh? . . .
That's probably what they meant. His he going to play Ifo's role now. Frankly, I think we will be ok with Troy and Seisay. As long as they are healthy.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

We stay in our base quite often so all this talk of bringing extra DBs on the field ignores what our defense typically does. We'll be prepared to put more DBs on the field but a standard 11 set will see us stay in our base 34 against 3 wrs.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Secondary coach John Neal tabbed redshirt-freshman Chris Seisay to start opposite senior Troy Hill, as expected, while also saying senior Dior Mathis will be featured more heavily in the rotation.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what about Dargan playing some at cb
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

thomas time wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what about Dargan playing some at cb
No no no. His hips are too stiff to be a CB.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

thomas time wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what about Dargan playing some at cb
Dargan is a great Safety and ballhawk, but is not a good cover guy.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

thomas time wrote:Secondary coach John Neal tabbed redshirt-freshman Chris Seisay to start opposite senior Troy Hill, as expected, while also saying senior Dior Mathis will be featured more heavily in the rotation.
If there was ever a time for Dior to make amends for Wazzu, this would be the game. Our front 7 is going to have to play lights out and get to Winston quickly all game long.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:.......
Their #2 WR is Sophmore Geez Wilson. Only 2 Duck WRs had more catches this year than he did.

Third in WR receptions is Freshman Travis Rudolf, Rivals #1 rated receiver in his class. His 32 receptions are more than Lowe, Brown, Carrington and Nelson have had for us.

Either of these guys are going to be a handful for Seisay and whoever draws the long straw to back him and Hill up.
I understand what you're saying, but I think the receiver comparison, especially Rudolph, is a bit decieving. There's no doubt that they'll be putting a lot of talent on the field. Still, we haven't had a real "go-to" receiver most of this year. Lowe and Brown have both missed games with injuries. Carrington and Nelson have only really emerged over the last half of the season. We also have Stanford and Devan Allen that were a lot more involved earlier this year, but we haven't seen as much of them recently.

In addition, Oregon is a run first team, where FSU was mostly riding Winston's throwing arm much of the year until the recent emergence of Dalvin Cook energized their running game.

It'll be an interesting chess match. I have a feeling the Oregon coaches may try some new things in the secondary. I can't say what it might be, but they know they're more vulnerable there now. We'll have to wait and see what they have in mind.
John 3:36
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Here's a special message from Ifo to all of us:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=613638952075111
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

5$ wrote:Here's a special message from Ifo to all of us:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=613638952075111
This is such an easy team to root for. Probably my favorite group ever.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Think about how our national perception has changed over the last several years. Blount's punch, Macstolie, We smoked it all, etc. I know our boys are not saints now and weren't all thugs before, but perception IS reality to the public.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

UofDuck wrote:Think about how our national perception has changed over the last several years. Blount's punch, Macstolie, We smoked it all, etc. I know our boys are not saints now and weren't all thugs before, but perception IS reality to the public.
I do think this is an exceptional group of young men, for any program. I don't know if it's possible to recruit this level of talent and character on a regular basis. I hope it is, but I truly don't know.