Waller apparently now signed FAA and plans to enroll early

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Waller apparently now signed FAA and plans to enroll ear

Post by UOducksTK1 »

If we must make the Mariota comparison, Mahalak is probably the most comparable of Mahalak, Lockie, and Waller. I think Lockie and Mahalak are more polished passers, whereas Waller relies on his feet much more. Lockie, on the other hand, probably won't do much with his feet. I think Mahalak is the best all around of all 3, but will that translate on the field as a Duck? Who knows... This years spring game will be especially interesting.

Mahalak only attempted 20 passes as a Junior. As a senior, he did this: 160 of 260 (61.5%), 2795 yards (215 ypg), 38 TDs, and only four interceptions. He also ran for 575 yards and seven touchdowns.

Waller's stats:
Senior 122-224 (54%), 1692 (153.8 ypg), 14 TDs, and 6 Ints (840 rush yards and 13 touchdowns)
Junior 127-235 (54%), 1669 yards (139.1 ypg), 12 Tds, and 7 Ints (1293 rush yards and 13 touchdowns)

And then we've seen Jeff Lockie, but if you want to see his HS stats: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jeff-lo ... -stats.htm

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And throw in the fact that Ty Griffin has been impressing in practice -- and hey, even how Alie was talked up by some of the coaching staff in spring (though that didn't seem to be shown in the Spring Game, unfortunately) -- and we certainly appear to be looking at some really excellent depth at the QB position in 2015, assuredly much better than this year in terms of number of players who can give the Ducks quality snaps.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

If someone like Darron Thomas can run the offense with his speed and athleticism, then I don't think any of the guys Oregon has on the roster have anything to worry about. The coaches will tailor the offense to fit that QB's strengths and make it work.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Greenblood wrote:And throw in the fact that Ty Griffin has been impressing in practice -- and hey, even how Alie was talked up by some of the coaching staff in spring (though that didn't seem to be shown in the Spring Game, unfortunately) -- and we certainly appear to be looking at some really excellent depth at the QB position in 2015, assuredly much better than this year in terms of number of players who can give the Ducks quality snaps.
Really good point on Ty Griffin. We need to remember that many Georgia Tech fans were looking at him to be their starting QB THIS year following his spring game performance. Whether it's our offense or not, the fact many viewed him as ready to take the reigns of a D1 offense nearly a year ago should be viewed as a positive. By the spring game, he could ready to show well.

Personally, I'm rooting for all of our QB's and will not be picking a personal "favorite" to cheer for. I also, don't think we can rely too much on what happened in HS. These QB's will have a nearly unlimited amount of unreal skill position players around them to take heat off of them.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

ncduck wrote:
Greenblood wrote:And throw in the fact that Ty Griffin has been impressing in practice -- and hey, even how Alie was talked up by some of the coaching staff in spring (though that didn't seem to be shown in the Spring Game, unfortunately) -- and we certainly appear to be looking at some really excellent depth at the QB position in 2015, assuredly much better than this year in terms of number of players who can give the Ducks quality snaps.
Really good point on Ty Griffin. We need to remember that many Georgia Tech fans were looking at him to be their starting QB THIS year following his spring game performance. Whether it's our offense or not, the fact many viewed him as ready to take the reigns of a D1 offense nearly a year ago should be viewed as a positive. By the spring game, he could ready to show well.

Personally, I'm rooting for all of our QB's and will not be picking a personal "favorite" to cheer for. I also, don't think we can rely too much on what happened in HS. These QB's will have a nearly unlimited amount of unreal skill position players around them to take heat off of them.
Yeah, it's the first year in a while where I'm not kinda rooting or backing a certain player. I feel like all of them (even Griffin as others above mentioned) have a decent chance of making it happen.

It wouldn't shock me if we see two quarterbacks play to start the season, before settling on one.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Griffin is by far the most gifted runner but he is incredibly raw as a QB. I think he only attempted like 50 passes his senior year of HS cause of how often they ran the ball.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Who said that though? The only place I've seen any positive on Griffin as a Qb, is here. Everyplace else i see them compairing him the Chris Harper, great athlete and a so so Qb.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Who said that though? The only place I've seen any positive on Griffin as a Qb, is here. Everyplace else i see them compairing him the Chris Harper, great athlete and a so so Qb.
Moseley has written several times about how much he's improved and how impressive (in short bursts) he's looked during scout team scrimmages and while playing the scout team QB.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Goducks.com, Mosley has mentioned griffen many times during the season.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

greenyellow wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Moseley has written several times about how much he's improved and how impressive (in short bursts) he's looked during scout team scrimmages and while playing the scout team QB.
Mosley said that players on defense side said that Griffin had some serious wheel around the edge when he did zone read option. Made few Touchdown throws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

fpsduck wrote:Excellent!

I still don't see him stealing the starting QB job from Marcus next year though...
NICE TRY COWBOY!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Regarding Griffin, yeah, mainly Moseley's reports; seems like there may have been a recent "Mac & Mose" video where there was mention of his having a pretty strong arm as well. I don't think he's the reincarnation of Michael Vick in ability, but I'll be disappointed if he isn't a real factor in the spring.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Greenblood wrote:Regarding Griffin, yeah, mainly Moseley's reports; seems like there may have been a recent "Mac & Mose" video where there was mention of his having a pretty strong arm as well. I don't think he's the reincarnation of Michael Vick in ability, but I'll be disappointed if he isn't a real factor in the spring.
They were saying he has a strong arm with improved mechanics for accuracy from working with Oregon's coaches. He still has stretches where he reverts to his old habits and his accuracy takes a hit but is still pretty night and day from when he first got here to now.