Carrington's dad speaks out about suspension

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Carrington's dad speaks out about suspension

Post by greenyellow »

Darren Carrington Sr. said that his son didn't smoke marijuana at all during the season and tested positive because he was hanging around others that were. He's since discussed with his son that he needs to make smarter choices in choosing who and what he hangs around. Definitely an interesting read that gives some context to the situation.

http://www.csnnw.com/ducks/darren-carri ... -marijuana
woundedknees
All-American

Re: Carrington's dad speaks out about suspension

Post by woundedknees »

I supervised a group of HS kids serving concessions at a Grateful Dead concert, lo, these many years ago.

The pungent odor was contained in a drifting pall that flowed over the rim of Autzen, and could be sniffed a mile away.

I wonder what a test would have revealed in my system, shortly after that (I am definitely not a user, nor have I ever done so)?

This is an article published last October 21, which refers to a limited test to check how second hand smoke effects non smokers.

http://www.newsweek.com/could-second-ha ... est-278913

"The 12 nonsmoking participants were then tasked with peeing into a cup 13 times over the next 34 hours. Their urine was tested for 9-carboxy-THC, the marijuana metabolite commonly measured in standard drug tests."

"The results, published this month in the Journal of Analytical Toxicology, gives nonsmokers with weed-using friends reason to breathe easy. The scientists found urine levels of this metabolite surpassed typically detectable levels (50 nanogram per milliliter) in only one experiment participant, and this happened during a brief window four to six hours after exposure."

"Using a more sensitive test, however, which is not usually employed in the workplace, scientists could detect blood THC levels above the 20 nanogram per milliliter in several participants in the hours after exposure. But these concentrations dipped below this threshold for all participants within 24 hours, according to the study, conducted by researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and elsewhere."

Doesn't seem to give Carrington much hope for an appeal... Although his levels were way below the testing threshold that would have kept him from passing any pre-hire drug screening I have ever heard of. The NCAA really needs to rethink their standards.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Yeah, I'm not sold on the second hand smoke excuse...he would probably have to be in a vehicle with the windows rolled up to see any significant blood levels.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

This is the standard claim from all people that get nabbed by a drug test. Better than Bill Clinton's "didn't inhale" claim I suppose. Regardless, I hope his suspension gets shortened somehow. A six game suspension for a first time positive test for marijuana is absurd.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

The NCAA threshold for testing positive is insanely low I believe so while I normally find these second hand smoke excuses to me bullshit I'd certainly like to believe him.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Newsweek last November

So researchers paired several regular pot smokers and nonsmokers and put them in a sealed compartment together for an hour, while one smoked a joint containing a relatively strong strain of marijuana.

The 12 nonsmoking participants were then tasked with peeing into a cup 13 times over the next 34 hours. Their urine was tested for 9-carboxy-THC, the marijuana metabolite commonly measured in standard drug tests....

Using a more sensitive test, however, which is not usually employed in the workplace, scientists could detect blood THC levels above the 20 nanogram per milliliter in several participants in the hours after exposure. But these concentrations dipped below this threshold for all participants within 24 hours, according to the study, conducted by researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and elsewhere.

Remember the NCAA limit is 5 nanograms--at that level is appears completely possible.

http://www.newsweek.com/could-second-ha ... est-278913
timberduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by timberduck »

Considering how common marijuana consumption is in Eugene and UO's culture, one would likely only need to be a moderate partaker of the university's social scene to be exposed to it on a regular basis, and theoretically pop hot on a test.

That said, he probably did smoke. Occam's razor and all...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Dear NCAA, I was acting as a designated driver and...
dotcomse
One Star Recruit

Particularly on the Saturday after the Rose

Post by dotcomse »

Which was the Saturday before school started, it seems possible that Carrington attended a party where he caught enough THC to get to 5ng/mL on Sunday. Of course, there could be spin control by his father, but the very fact that the NCAA limit is low enough to even be having this conversation is ludicrous. Maybe if you're a professional, you can be held to a certain standard, but these are still ostensibly college students with college friends that like to go to college parties. They shouldn't be held accountable for second-hand smoke.

That limit has GOT to go up.
WangOSU
One Star Recruit

Post by WangOSU »

greenyellow wrote:Darren Carrington Sr. said that his son didn't smoke marijuana at all during the season and tested positive because he was hanging around others that were. He's since discussed with his son that he needs to make smarter choices in choosing who and what he hangs around. Definitely an interesting read that gives some context to the situation.

http://www.csnnw.com/ducks/darren-carri ... -marijuana
Noah Spence, an OSU DE, pissed hot for extacy. He claimed that someone spiked his drink, and everyone believed him.

THEEEEEEEEN he went ahead and failed his reinstatement drug test.

Moral of the story, kids lie, especially when they get in trouble. Could Carrington be telling the truth? Sure. But Occam's Razor says he most likely smoked the wacky tabacky.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

I see a lot of discussion about how low the threshold his for the NCAAs test, but no discussion of what amount of THC was found in the test on Carrington. I assume we don't know that number, but just in case was it reported somewhere? I feel like that would answer all of these concerns...

Side discussion has anyone ever been suspended by the NCAA for the very tiny amount that they test for? Or are all of the players that have been suspended failed the test with much larger amounts. My point is this, while the threshold appears to be ridiculously low, that only matters if players are being suspended for failing at that low threshold...just a thought...(obviously this thought avoids the "why are we testing for marijuana in the first place?" argument)
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

"Carrington Sr. said his son tested positive for 15 nano grams of THC per milliliter of blood. The NCAA threshold for testing positive is five nano grams," And yes it is ridiculous that the NCAA test for pot. Do they test for alcohol, also illegal, for many athletes. Do they suspend or get involved when there is a duii, or minor in possession, NO. This should be for performance enhancing drugs only, peds. Otherwise butt out of school's and team's own policy. How is pot performance enhancing. Oh, it used to be illegal.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

MerDuck wrote:I see a lot of discussion about how low the threshold his for the NCAAs test, but no discussion of what amount of THC was found in the test on Carrington. I assume we don't know that number, but just in case was it reported somewhere? I feel like that would answer all of these concerns...

Side discussion has anyone ever been suspended by the NCAA for the very tiny amount that they test for? Or are all of the players that have been suspended failed the test with much larger amounts. My point is this, while the threshold appears to be ridiculously low, that only matters if players are being suspended for failing at that low threshold...just a thought...(obviously this thought avoids the "why are we testing for marijuana in the first place?" argument)
From the article linked earlier in this thread...Carrington Sr. said his son tested positive for 15 nanograms of THC per milliliter of blood. The NCAA threshold for testing positive is five nanograms,
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

You could hot box a VW bug to portland and back. If you aren't the one smoking you won't piss dirty.