Should the Ducks start retiring numbers/jerseys?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Should the ducks retire players numbers

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 54
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Re: Should the Ducks start retiring numbers/jerseys?

Post by Zyme »

Yes BB does, but no. We dont need to do this.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I think in Marcus' case I'd retire it. He is the one and only Heismsn winner the school has ever had. He has separation from the others. However I would wait to retire his jersey. Stanford retired Elway's jersey just last year
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I can't believe people are saying no, of course Mariota's number should be retired! I know it's about the team, but I bet if you ask all of the guys that Mariota played with, they would say that his number should be retired. We've never had a player like this, in fact, I don't know if any other college has. To be that humble with that much talent is unbelievable and something that you don't find in college sports today. He absolutely deserves to have his jersey retired, and one reason why is because he himself would vote again it! But this is a fitting way for him to be honored for all of the great things he's done for us. And even though Oregon lost in the national championship, he played a fantastic game, but his coaches and teammates let him down. He was the best player on the field that night but you wouldn't know with all of the drops and the performance from the defense.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

No offense to MM, but where would you stop? If his number is retired then Joeys should be too. What about Ngata or LMJ?? Make a wall of honor but NO retiring of numbers
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duckfan96 wrote:No offense to MM, but where would you stop? If his number is retired then Joeys should be too. What about Ngata or LMJ?? Make a wall of honor but NO retiring of numbers
It stops at Mariota! None of those guys are close to matching what Mariota did for the university.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

It stops with mm? So no one will ever be that good ever again at Oregon? I understand mm was great but you diminish what others did. Oregon finished 2nd with Joey just like they did with MM? Not trying to start a big conflict here just trying to figure out why one person and no one else?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckfan96 wrote:It stops with mm? So no one will ever be that good ever again at Oregon? I understand mm was great but you diminish what others did. Oregon finished 2nd with Joey just like they did with MM? Not trying to start a big conflict here just trying to figure out why one person and no one else?
Agreed. If you're only supposed to honor Heisman winners, then just about every other school that honors non-Heisman winners in their own Rings of Honor are overly inclusive. You don't just honor one player and not the others because they all have their places in Oregon history that are just as worthy to be honored. I'm not sure Marcus would want to be singled out by himself when he's acknowledged there have been many other great Oregon players before him. Also, there are just too many players on a roster and too few numbers to go around to take numbers out of circulation, which is why you put his name and number up as a number to remember but keep it in circulation.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Mariota is Oregon's FIRST ever Heisman Winner, nobody else will ever be that. Obviously we'll all just have to agree to disagree, but Mariota should have his number retired in my opinion.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I've yet to read a cogent argument for doing this.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

No on retiring jerseys, just a can of worms from the get go, sounds like the Ducks don't think much of it either. I'm sure his jersey will be hanging behind the Hiesman in the trophy case. I really like the "ring of honor" idea, it would be a great addition to Autzen and there's a pretty good start for the ring also. I'll problably forget some names, but just off the top of my head;

Mariota
LM James
Harrington
Fouts
Moore, ah....... Rashad
Miller
Renfro
Brooks
Belloti
Kelly? (?Four years enough for the ring?)
Unger
Zimmerman
Ngata

Just off the top of my head, I decided while typing this to start another thread on ring of honor, made sense. Any other names that need to go on the ring?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UofDuck wrote:I think in Marcus' case I'd retire it. He is the one and only Heismsn winner the school has ever had. He has separation from the others. However I would wait to retire his jersey. Stanford retired Elway's jersey just last year
Marcus wouldn't be flattered by this, so why do something that would make him uncomfortable? Do a ring of honor, start with Norm Van Brocklin, Bobby Moore, Mel Renfro, Gary Zimmerman, Bill Musgrave, Joey Harrington, Ngata, LMJ and Marcus.