alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Chip going after Mariota?

Post by alabamaduck »

squintsdd wrote:
alabamaduck wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
alabamaduck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:I think they would have to give up several draft picks and/or McCoy to get up high enough. Given their defensive deficiencies, and their lack of decent RB depth, I just don't see this move working out too well for Philadelphia. Sanchez proved that that offense can be ran by a less than mobile QB, Defense is where Phili needs to spend the draft picks.
Lack of decent RB depth? They've got Shady McCoy, Darren Sproles and Chris Polk (not to mention Kenjon Barner)...that's pretty strong. Foles and Sanchez both suck...Chip needs a QB. Not saying he'll trade up to get MM, but a QB that's the right fit in his offense is the only thing missing...well that and a ton of help on defense!
They'd likely have to give up Shady to move up. Sproles, Polk and Barner is terrible RB depth. Also, if Foles and Sanchez suck, why did they win the NFC East with Foles last year and win 10 games this year? They have so many other holes on the team, I don't think they'd mortgage their next 2-3 drafts for one player, regardless of Chip's relationship with that player.
I'm not talking about their depth if they traded McCoy because that would never happen. As for Sanchez and Foles, Philly won in spite of them. Sanchez washed out in NY and was exposed after a few good starts in Philly. As for Foles, he was nothing special even at Arizona, but Chip made him look great his first year...this year before he got hurt, not so much.

Philly's got holes on defense, but their offense is solid other than at QB. Remember, their o-line was decimated by injuries early in the season this year.
You failed reading comprehension 101. My first post mentioned that they would likely have to trade McCoy to get up high enough for Mariota, so you can't really include him in the RB depth when you respond to my post can you? Foles is a decent QB, and did extremely well under Kelly. Sanchez is Average and also did fairly well, better than he ever did with the Jets anyway. With what they had at QB they were still 5th in total offense. Can you guess where there were in total defense? Go on, I'll let you look it up......28th. So there's my point, Kelly showed the offense can run just fine without having to give up all his draft picks. they need to focus on the defense, and look to get Foles healthy, maybe look at upgrading at QB slightly, but they don't need to give away everything for Mariota.
In fact i didn't fail reading comprehension 101. You said they would either have to trade McCoy OR several picks. They won't trade McCoy so he IS in fact included in their depth chart, but way to be a dick
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

alabamaduck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:
alabamaduck wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
alabamaduck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:I think they would have to give up several draft picks and/or McCoy to get up high enough. Given their defensive deficiencies, and their lack of decent RB depth, I just don't see this move working out too well for Philadelphia. Sanchez proved that that offense can be ran by a less than mobile QB, Defense is where Phili needs to spend the draft picks.
Lack of decent RB depth? They've got Shady McCoy, Darren Sproles and Chris Polk (not to mention Kenjon Barner)...that's pretty strong. Foles and Sanchez both suck...Chip needs a QB. Not saying he'll trade up to get MM, but a QB that's the right fit in his offense is the only thing missing...well that and a ton of help on defense!
They'd likely have to give up Shady to move up. Sproles, Polk and Barner is terrible RB depth. Also, if Foles and Sanchez suck, why did they win the NFC East with Foles last year and win 10 games this year? They have so many other holes on the team, I don't think they'd mortgage their next 2-3 drafts for one player, regardless of Chip's relationship with that player.
I'm not talking about their depth if they traded McCoy because that would never happen. As for Sanchez and Foles, Philly won in spite of them. Sanchez washed out in NY and was exposed after a few good starts in Philly. As for Foles, he was nothing special even at Arizona, but Chip made him look great his first year...this year before he got hurt, not so much.

Philly's got holes on defense, but their offense is solid other than at QB. Remember, their o-line was decimated by injuries early in the season this year.
You failed reading comprehension 101. My first post mentioned that they would likely have to trade McCoy to get up high enough for Mariota, so you can't really include him in the RB depth when you respond to my post can you? Foles is a decent QB, and did extremely well under Kelly. Sanchez is Average and also did fairly well, better than he ever did with the Jets anyway. With what they had at QB they were still 5th in total offense. Can you guess where there were in total defense? Go on, I'll let you look it up......28th. So there's my point, Kelly showed the offense can run just fine without having to give up all his draft picks. they need to focus on the defense, and look to get Foles healthy, maybe look at upgrading at QB slightly, but they don't need to give away everything for Mariota.
In fact i didn't fail reading comprehension 101. You said they would either have to trade McCoy OR several picks. They won't trade McCoy so he IS in fact included in their depth chart, but way to be a dick
I actually said AND/OR, implying that they would most likely have to trade McCoy, but regardless of which route they choose it doesn't change the fact that they have a lack of depth. Sproles is not a true running back and is rarely used as one, McCoy wasn't McCoy last year, Polk is average at best, and I'm not wearing any green tinted shades when it comes to barner. You're right though, I was a little dickish. I apologize for that.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Ok just for arguments sake, let's say Marcus isn't taken in the top 8 or 9. Philly can trade their first rd #20 and second Rd picks and move up to 12. Then if someone takes Marcus say 9,10 or 11 they can swap picks and throw in a couple more picks (second next year?) and have their QB. Ditka draft? FFS. Some of you need to pay attention, it's free...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

nogerO wrote:Ok just for arguments sake, let's say Marcus isn't taken in the top 8 or 9. Philly can trade their first rd #20 and second Rd picks and move up to 12. Then if someone takes Marcus say 9,10 or 11 they can swap picks and throw in a couple more picks (second next year?) and have their QB. Ditka draft? FFS. Some of you need to pay attention, it's free...
I seriously doubt mariota leaves the top 5. I'd be shocked if he left the top 3
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Do people realize how Chip could change the landscape of football with the get of Marcus Mariota? Really, just think about it.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

MFRDuckFan wrote:Do people realize how Chip could change the landscape of football with the get of Marcus Mariota? Really, just think about it.
and if say Marcus were to struggle just a tad bit like 99% of rookies do it could possibly cost Chip his job. I like Chip and would love to see him get Marcus but like last year when DaT was available Chip isn't going to go all out for someone. Spurrier did at Washington and we all know how that worked out in DC.
Weston
Three Star Recruit

Post by Weston »

squintsdd wrote:
nogerO wrote:Ok just for arguments sake, let's say Marcus isn't taken in the top 8 or 9. Philly can trade their first rd #20 and second Rd picks and move up to 12. Then if someone takes Marcus say 9,10 or 11 they can swap picks and throw in a couple more picks (second next year?) and have their QB. Ditka draft? FFS. Some of you need to pay attention, it's free...
Really? The man in the know says Marcus will go 18th (sic!) to KC.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-draf ... oks/215607
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

FlDuckFan wrote:
MFRDuckFan wrote:Do people realize how Chip could change the landscape of football with the get of Marcus Mariota? Really, just think about it.
and if say Marcus were to struggle just a tad bit like 99% of rookies do it could possibly cost Chip his job. I like Chip and would love to see him get Marcus but like last year when DaT was available Chip isn't going to go all out for someone. Spurrier did at Washington and we all know how that worked out in DC.
Marcus could bring so much to Chip's vision. Gotta remember how Chip can tailor an offense to personnel and there are lots of options. I'd love to see Marcus settle behind someone and get his feet wet for a year or so, but with these big dollars for QB's I have not seen that happen. Marcus brings a huge intelligence & nuance to Chip's offense he just does not currently have. It would be fun to watch. I don't see it being a "typical" rookie experience.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Weston wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

At least he has Armstead at #31.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Weston wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

2 Huskies in the top 10?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

karlhungis wrote:
Weston wrote:
squintsdd wrote:

2 Huskies in the top 10?
And another one projected at #12. Are they all early entries?
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Thought this was funny......................

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

MFRDuckFan wrote:Thought this was funny......................

ROFL, that was great! I'd pos-rep ya but..........yea :twisted:
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Rumor alert... Browns trying a fly sweep around the rules to get Mariota?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the ... id=U142DHP

MM's trainer has ben announced as the Brown's new QB coach, but will not join the team completing his work with Marcus.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Even if the Browns wanted Mariota, they'd have to agree to trade multiple picks to move up and hope that someone like Tampa Bay or Tennessee is willing to move and accept their package over other potential offers. If they had a top 3 pick it'd be different but there are so many variables that I don't think you could call it tampering even if MM ended up in Cleveland.