Chip going after Mariota?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

squintsdd
Sophomore

Re: Chip going after Mariota?

Post by squintsdd »

Cleveland is where quarterbacks go to ruin their career. I hope they don't make a move to get him.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Tampa Bay let go of McCown so they look like they'll be taking the #1 QB on their board almost assuredly.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Duck07 wrote:Tampa Bay let go of McCown so they look like they'll be taking the #1 QB on their board almost assuredly.

Lovie Snith has Dirk Koetter as OC, but what is Mike Bajakian's background? Isn't he supposed to have some experience with the spread?

From a 2012 article, at the time he joined the staff at UT, with Butch Jones:

http://www.nooga.com/158959/meet-uts-ne ... -bajakian/

"Offensively, we are going to be a team that takes care of the football,” Jones said. “We are going to run a no-huddle offense. I don't like to use the term "spread," because I think that the word "finesse" is associated with that. We are going to be a physical style of offense and be a pro-style offense.”
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

If Winston keeps eating like he does, Mariota's the first pick by a landslide. Man
is Winston out of shape now.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

mattc94 wrote:If Winston keeps eating like he does, Mariota's the first pick by a landslide. Man
is Winston out of shape now.
I don't think that's the case anymore since he's training at the same place as Mariota in San Diego and is not much heavier than Mariota now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 19933.html
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Boy, the media sure doesn't like Marcus very much. (Per sports talk pundits) Apparently he is not a vocal enough leader / too shy to be a good QB in the NFL, doesn't work through his progressions well and a system QB. Meanwhile, Winston seems to be solidifying his position as the number one QB in the draft. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if it drops Mariota in the draft so he ends up in a better situation.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by srduck »

And how many Super Bowls have those media pundits coached and won? How many top flight NFL qbs have those media pundits developed and coached? Last time I looked neither Mayock, Kiper, Rob Rang or Bucky Brooks was responsible for the development of Manning or Brady.

I don't imagine that as they are preparing for the draft and studying tape of college guys that Belicheck, Kelly or even Elway are thinking to themselves they better call Mike Mayock or Mel Kiper to see what they think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

karlhungis wrote:Boy, the media sure doesn't like Marcus very much. (Per sports talk pundits) Apparently he is not a vocal enough leader / too shy to be a good QB in the NFL, doesn't work through his progressions well and a system QB. Meanwhile, Winston seems to be solidifying his position as the number one QB in the draft. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if it drops Mariota in the draft so he ends up in a better situation.
Let him (MM) slide...let him slide...let him slide! I'm all good with that. I'd love to see Marcus slide to the 10th spot in the 1st round to the Rams and Coach Fisher, then let him hold the clip board behind Bradford for a season. Then take the reins over for Bradford when the team moves to LA! Fisher is putting together a REALLY good team. If this were to happen, I'd retire my 49ers hat and start rooting for the team I grew up watching as a kid...the LA Rams! Go Marcus...and GOOOO Ducks!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

karlhungis wrote:Boy, the media sure doesn't like Marcus very much. (Per sports talk pundits) Apparently he is not a vocal enough leader / too shy to be a good QB in the NFL, doesn't work through his progressions well and a system QB. Meanwhile, Winston seems to be solidifying his position as the number one QB in the draft. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if it drops Mariota in the draft so he ends up in a better situation.

Ron Jaworski addressed this yesterday on ESPN. He said the vocal leadership stuff is nonsense. He said that every successful QB he's ever known has a calm, cool demeaner in the huddle. It's like saying "I got this" without yelling and screaming. Marcus will also be very good at leading by example. His work ethic and competitiveness will shine in the eyes of some veterans and those guys can get the team to rally around him.

Regarding his progressions, Jaworski did say that although Mariota was good at finding his #1 receiver most of the time, if #1 was taken away he seemed to struggle going through his progressions. This is where he'll need time to grow.

Personally, I hope he slides, too. I've stated before that I think the best places for him to land would be St. Louis, New Orleans and Philadelphia, though him going to the Eagles isn't very likely. Another thing about him going to the Eagles would be his dependence on Chip to succeed. If Chip left or was fired after 3-4 more years Mariota could be a rookie all over again, depending on the offense the new coaching staff ran and how willing they'd be to work around his strengths. Look at guys like Nick Foles and Matt Barkley. They'll have to start all over somewhere else eventually, maybe even this year.

It would be awesome to see Marcus holding a clipboard for Drew Brees for 2-3 years before taking over the starting job in New Orleans. :)
John 3:36
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

SuperDuck wrote:

Ron Jaworski addressed this yesterday on ESPN. He said the vocal leadership stuff is nonsense. He said that every successful QB he's ever known has a calm, cool demeaner in the huddle. It's like saying "I got this" without yelling and screaming. Marcus will also be very good at leading by example. His work ethic and competitiveness will shine in the eyes of some veterans and those guys can get the team to rally around him.

Regarding his progressions, Jaworski did say that although Mariota was good at finding his #1 receiver most of the time, if #1 was taken away he seemed to struggle going through his progressions. This is where he'll need time to grow.

Personally, I hope he slides, too. I've stated before that I think the best places for him to land would be St. Louis, New Orleans and Philadelphia, though him going to the Eagles isn't very likely. Another thing about him going to the Eagles would be his dependence on Chip to succeed. If Chip left or was fired after 3-4 more years Mariota could be a rookie all over again, depending on the offense the new coaching staff ran and how willing they'd be to work around his strengths. Look at guys like Nick Foles and Matt Barkley. They'll have to start all over somewhere else eventually, maybe even this year.

It would be awesome to see Marcus holding a clipboard for Drew Brees for 2-3 years before taking over the starting job in New Orleans. :)
I will never forget Jameis being told to "calm the f*ck down" by Jimbo in the Rose Bowl. Which guy would you rather have in your huddle?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

karlhungis wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

I will never forget Jameis being told to "calm the f*ck down" by Jimbo in the Rose Bowl. Which guy would you rather have in your huddle?
Marcus ;)
John 3:36
ducktales32
High School Drop Out

Post by ducktales32 »

SuperDuck wrote: Personally, I hope he slides, too. I've stated before that I think the best places for him to land would be St. Louis, New Orleans and Philadelphia, though him going to the Eagles isn't very likely. Another thing about him going to the Eagles would be his dependence on Chip to succeed. If Chip left or was fired after 3-4 more years Mariota could be a rookie all over again, depending on the offense the new coaching staff ran and how willing they'd be to work around his strengths. Look at guys like Nick Foles and Matt Barkley. They'll have to start all over somewhere else eventually, maybe even this year.

Looks more and more like TB is picking Winston. It would suck if Mariota fell to the Jets at 6. Everything points to them picking him, if he's there. It would be a dream for me if he fell to St. Louis or New Orleans.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

duck territory has an article about the eagles doing everything they can to get Marcus, either Eagles or Rams is where I'm hoping for Marcus. Jets do have tons of cap room and a decent defense so maybe they could not screw it up, but probably not.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

ducktales32 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote: Personally, I hope he slides, too. I've stated before that I think the best places for him to land would be St. Louis, New Orleans and Philadelphia, though him going to the Eagles isn't very likely. Another thing about him going to the Eagles would be his dependence on Chip to succeed. If Chip left or was fired after 3-4 more years Mariota could be a rookie all over again, depending on the offense the new coaching staff ran and how willing they'd be to work around his strengths. Look at guys like Nick Foles and Matt Barkley. They'll have to start all over somewhere else eventually, maybe even this year.

Looks more and more like TB is picking Winston. It would suck if Mariota fell to the Jets at 6. Everything points to them picking him, if he's there. It would be a dream for me if he fell to St. Louis or New Orleans.
Oh lord, what Lovie said is not affirmation that they're taking Winston. Everything that gets said over the next 2 months goes with giant grains of Himalayan Rock Salt - it's all part of the subterfuge of the draft. While I'm sure the Titans like Sean Mannion the most in this draft at QB, just because they said they aren't taking a QB at #2 doesn't mean its the gospel truth.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Duck07 wrote:
ducktales32 wrote:

Oh lord, what Lovie said is not affirmation that they're taking Winston. Everything that gets said over the next 2 months goes with giant grains of Himalayan Rock Salt - it's all part of the subterfuge of the draft. While I'm sure the Titans like Sean Mannion the most in this draft at QB, just because they said they aren't taking a QB at #2 doesn't mean its the gospel truth.
Truth. The media is drowning in boredom right now so any little nugget that can be twisted into some sort of hot topic or innuendo will be. ESPN was reporting just yesterday that since Lovie is close to Tony Dungy, who swears by Marcus, and the Bucs hired Koetter as OC, who has a history with Helf, that they think the Bucs will take Marcus.