Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Chip going after Mariota?

Post by karlhungis »

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015 ... _quar.html

Man, this would be a dream come true.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Re: Chip going after Mariota?

Post by Cedar Tree »

I would be ecstatic and become an instant Eagles fan if this happens (I don't have, and have never had an NFL team that I genuinely considered myself a fan of).
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

I think they would have to give up several draft picks and/or McCoy to get up high enough. Given their defensive deficiencies, and their lack of decent RB depth, I just don't see this move working out too well for Philadelphia. Sanchez proved that that offense can be ran by a less than mobile QB, Defense is where Phili needs to spend the draft picks.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

Other than the Rams this would be my pick for him so I'm cool with it.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

One of the draft guys over at NFL.com has Mariota going to the Chiefs at 18...Philly could afford to go after him if he was still around by then.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

fpsduck wrote:One of the draft guys over at NFL.com has Mariota going to the Chiefs at 18...Philly could afford to go after him if he was still around by then.
Chiefs? Didn't they just give Alex Smith a huge contract?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Last year, all the pundits had chip slavering over DeAnthony. Then Chip passed over him several times, and took Josh Huff instead. I think Chip is doing a double-reverse psychology. Nick Foles has been working out pretty well, he just needs to heal up. I don't see Chip spending multiple firsts on Marcus, no matter how much he likes him. If Mariota fell to #20, that might be a different story.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

karlhungis wrote:
fpsduck wrote:One of the draft guys over at NFL.com has Mariota going to the Chiefs at 18...Philly could afford to go after him if he was still around by then.
Chiefs? Didn't they just give Alex Smith a huge contract?
IDK, bu they also picked up Aaron Murray in last year's draft.

Taking Mariota with their first pick seems like a stretch alright.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

squintsdd wrote:I think they would have to give up several draft picks and/or McCoy to get up high enough. Given their defensive deficiencies, and their lack of decent RB depth, I just don't see this move working out too well for Philadelphia. Sanchez proved that that offense can be ran by a less than mobile QB, Defense is where Phili needs to spend the draft picks.
Lack of decent RB depth? They've got Shady McCoy, Darren Sproles and Chris Polk (not to mention Kenjon Barner)...that's pretty strong. Foles and Sanchez both suck...Chip needs a QB. Not saying he'll trade up to get MM, but a QB that's the right fit in his offense is the only thing missing...well that and a ton of help on defense!
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

alabamaduck wrote:
squintsdd wrote:I think they would have to give up several draft picks and/or McCoy to get up high enough. Given their defensive deficiencies, and their lack of decent RB depth, I just don't see this move working out too well for Philadelphia. Sanchez proved that that offense can be ran by a less than mobile QB, Defense is where Phili needs to spend the draft picks.
Lack of decent RB depth? They've got Shady McCoy, Darren Sproles and Chris Polk (not to mention Kenjon Barner)...that's pretty strong. Foles and Sanchez both suck...Chip needs a QB. Not saying he'll trade up to get MM, but a QB that's the right fit in his offense is the only thing missing...well that and a ton of help on defense!
They'd likely have to give up Shady to move up. Sproles, Polk and Barner is terrible RB depth. Also, if Foles and Sanchez suck, why did they win the NFC East with Foles last year and win 10 games this year? They have so many other holes on the team, I don't think they'd mortgage their next 2-3 drafts for one player, regardless of Chip's relationship with that player.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

stlDUCKfan wrote:Other than the Rams this would be my pick for him so I'm cool with it.
+1
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Duck24 wrote:
alabamaduck wrote:
They'd likely have to give up Shady to move up. Sproles, Polk and Barner is terrible RB depth. Also, if Foles and Sanchez suck, why did they win the NFC East with Foles last year and win 10 games this year? They have so many other holes on the team, I don't think they'd mortgage their next 2-3 drafts for one player, regardless of Chip's relationship with that player.
I'm not talking about their depth if they traded McCoy because that would never happen. As for Sanchez and Foles, Philly won in spite of them. Sanchez washed out in NY and was exposed after a few good starts in Philly. As for Foles, he was nothing special even at Arizona, but Chip made him look great his first year...this year before he got hurt, not so much.

Philly's got holes on defense, but their offense is solid other than at QB. Remember, their o-line was decimated by injuries early in the season this year.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

RBs are not worth much in today's NFL. Chip would have to give up more than Shady to move up that high.
iosa
High School Drop Out

Post by iosa »

As an Eagles fan I would be ok with a trade up in the 10-12 range where it should only cost a 2nd and maybe an extra 4th round pick. I don't want them to spend more than 2 draft picks. Now I trust Chip so if he think Marcus is the missing piece of our offense, he should definitely grab him.
ImageImage
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

alabamaduck wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
alabamaduck wrote:
I'm not talking about their depth if they traded McCoy because that would never happen. As for Sanchez and Foles, Philly won in spite of them. Sanchez washed out in NY and was exposed after a few good starts in Philly. As for Foles, he was nothing special even at Arizona, but Chip made him look great his first year...this year before he got hurt, not so much.

Philly's got holes on defense, but their offense is solid other than at QB. Remember, their o-line was decimated by injuries early in the season this year.
You failed reading comprehension 101. My first post mentioned that they would likely have to trade McCoy to get up high enough for Mariota, so you can't really include him in the RB depth when you respond to my post can you? Foles is a decent QB, and did extremely well under Kelly. Sanchez is Average and also did fairly well, better than he ever did with the Jets anyway. With what they had at QB they were still 5th in total offense. Can you guess where there were in total defense? Go on, I'll let you look it up......28th. So there's my point, Kelly showed the offense can run just fine without having to give up all his draft picks. they need to focus on the defense, and look to get Foles healthy, maybe look at upgrading at QB slightly, but they don't need to give away everything for Mariota.