Vernon Adams visiting Oregon?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Vernon Adams visiting Oregon?

Post by buckmarkduck »

greenyellow wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Masoli had 3 weeks at UO before starting, and leading us to 10 wins. If he can learn enough of our O in that short of time, then a 5th year Sr. should have no problem over a summer. Besides no one is asking him to be the man, just get the ball to a roster full of playmakers.
Masoli committed in May and showed up for summer workouts, which allowed him time to gel with teammates and learn the offense before being thrown into it during fall camp. Also, he wasn't the full-time starter until midway through the season so he didn't win the job outright after only a few weeks of camp. I'm not sure Adams wants to transfer if there's a high possibility that he won't play much if he doesn't win the job initially.
He wasn't cleared until 2 a days. He may have been in Eugene, but he couldn't actually practice until he was.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

Do you need to be cleared to do summer workouts though? I thought by their nature they were kind of player organized and not governed by typical NCAA practice rules. I'm sure not being able to practice for a big chunk of fall camp hurts, but being able to learn the passing trees from teammates during summer workouts is still an advantage.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregonian wrote:Do you need to be cleared to do summer workouts though? I thought by their nature they were kind of player organized and not governed by typical NCAA practice rules. I'm sure not being able to practice for a big chunk of fall camp hurts, but being able to learn the passing trees from teammates during summer workouts is still an advantage.
I don't think so because they are informal, voluntary workouts held and organized by the players with minimal involvement from the coaching staff, except for the strength and conditioning coaches.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Oregonian wrote:Do you need to be cleared to do summer workouts though? I thought by their nature they were kind of player organized and not governed by typical NCAA practice rules. I'm sure not being able to practice for a big chunk of fall camp hurts, but being able to learn the passing trees from teammates during summer workouts is still an advantage.
Pretty sure he had a wrist injury at the same time as well, which wasn't healed until practices began.
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

Just for fun, if Adams committed to Oregon how would 247, Rivals, etc assess his "star" rating? That could be interesting since he has passed for over 10K yards at a more competitive level than high school QBs in this class. His performances against UW and OSU were insane.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

ducksvb6 wrote:Just for fun, if Adams committed to Oregon how would 247, Rivals, etc assess his "star" rating? That could be interesting since he has passed for over 10K yards at a more competitive level than high school QBs in this class. His performances against UW and OSU were insane.
Did they rate Russell Wilson when he went from NC State to Wisconsin, or Masoli when he went to Ole Miss?

I feel like they could definitely rate him as a pseudo-JUCO product. He's definitely faced better competition. I think he'd be at least a 3*, probably a 4*.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I don't think they rate transfers. At most they'll list him on commit page but I would be surprised if they did that even.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:I already posted in the War Room that I don't think this is a done deal. Adams has clearly stated he's not coming to Oregon to sit on the bench and be a backup and the Oregon coaches have said that they won't guarantee anyone the starting job.

The fact that he'd miss spring ball is huge. Dennis Dizon may have picked up the offense in fall camp under Chip Kelly, but at least least Dixon was familiar with the spread, after running a version of it under Gary Crowton the year before. Also, Chip prepared Justin Roper for the Sun Bowl in around 18 days, too. The guy was a genius.

Adams also said that he loves it in Cheney, WA and has no problem remaining there for his senior year as they have "unfinished business", referring to the FCS title.

We'll see.
Adams runs a very similar offense to what we do, much more similar than the transition from Crowton's offense to Chip's. I'm still not certain on the Adams timeline, I have heard everything from he has gotten his release and can leave whenever to he can't get here til end of August but no one 'in the know' has confirmed anything.
Nigel Burton, former Portland State HC who faced both Eastern Washington and Oregon, disagrees

... In terms of offensive philosophy, Burton said, Oregon and Eastern Washington don’t have much in common but the statistics.

“Their offenses are very different,” Burton said. “The tempo is not the same. The terminology will be completely different.

“Oregon does a lot more stretch-read things, things to the edges, quick releases. At Eastern, they were OK with just letting him drop back and do his thing.”

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3271 ... t.html.csp
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

I don't care what offense he ran. Get him here asap.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Yep I agree need get him, hopefully everything goes great on the visit
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

More guys competing for the job the better.... And he wouldn't need to be the starter from day 1. Didn't Masoli take over about half way through his first year?
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Boom wrote:More guys competing for the job the better.... And he wouldn't need to be the starter from day 1. Didn't Masoli take over about half way through his first year?

I believe it was the 4th game of the season. Roper got injured late in the game @ Purdue.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Roper was better than Masoli
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Roper was better than Masoli
Roper was horrible. Seriously, he couldn't even start at Montana, get over the blind hate for Masoli.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Justin Roper wasn't a bad QB... he would have been fine with the right coaching.

That said, Masoli was waaaaaaaaaay better for our offense. And you can't coach Masoli's bowling-ball toughness.
Willie Taggart is a dick.