Vernon Adams visiting Oregon?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Vernon Adams visiting Oregon?

Post by QuackininBama »

While his skills are undeniable, I'm not sure you can pick up this offense in a couple months and start in the Pac-12. If he was invited by our coaches then they must feel none of our current quarterbacks are ready yet because I would rather the new guy take his lumps this year and be a 3 year starter rather than get a one year stop gap player.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

MontanaDuck wrote:
Phenom wrote:
MontanaDuck wrote:Ehhhh I'm happy to see him transfer as a Griz fan (he has been our bane), but I am less than thrilled to see him at Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you say that?
His personality is a polar opposite of Marcus. The kid has swagger, but it can be excessive at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So? We could have used some swagger vs OSU. Nothing against marcus, but in games he trailed, we rarely came back. Sometimes swagger, or self believe can be contagious. Don't take what I'm saying wrong, he isn't better than marcus as a Qb in anyway, or putting down MM.

I'm guessing you don't like that he dances on the field.
http://vimeo.com/98390750
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Some of our best players had "swag". Cliffy (Harris) comes to mind. Kiko was dirty AND talked all the smack. It can be a good thing.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I like the swag. I loved mm but sometimes I wish he would have barked back at guys, and taken hits personally, like the one Bosa put on him. Adams won't take that ish, and I would imagine that hit would have fired him up.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

Obviously the Duck coaching staff felt comfortable enough with this kids SWAG, character and personality that they were willing to offer him a scholarship. I'm good with that! If he comes....I can't wait 'til Fall Camp!!!! In Helf we trust!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

QuackininBama wrote:While his skills are undeniable, I'm not sure you can pick up this offense in a couple months and start in the Pac-12. If he was invited by our coaches then they must feel none of our current quarterbacks are ready yet because I would rather the new guy take his lumps this year and be a 3 year starter rather than get a one year stop gap player.
I just don't understand this logic.
- Cam Newton at Auburn
- Russell Wilson at Wisconsin
- Nick Fairley at Auburn

You can also point to a ton of baseball teams making a deal at the deadline to get one more pitcher or one more bat for that championship run.

Next year/This year should be all that matters right now, and Adams gives us the best shot at winning in 2015. In 2016 the coaches will find the guy that can help us best win at that point.
ArkansasDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ArkansasDuck »

I loved the way Marcus handled his business, never celebrated and always just acted like he was supposed to be awesome. He was professional, curteous, and just an overall good guy. I do see how a little fire could help things, though I'd certainly hate to see taunting, jawing at the crowds and just being a general jerkface like Winston was this year.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I already posted in the War Room that I don't think this is a done deal. Adams has clearly stated he's not coming to Oregon to sit on the bench and be a backup and the Oregon coaches have said that they won't guarantee anyone the starting job.

The fact that he'd miss spring ball is huge. Dennis Dizon may have picked up the offense in fall camp under Chip Kelly, but at least least Dixon was familiar with the spread, after running a version of it under Gary Crowton the year before. Also, Chip prepared Justin Roper for the Sun Bowl in around 18 days, too. The guy was a genius.

Adams also said that he loves it in Cheney, WA and has no problem remaining there for his senior year as they have "unfinished business", referring to the FCS title.

We'll see.
John 3:36
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

While it's detrimental to my Trojans, I hope this kid plays for the ducks this season. You can tell just from his highlights that he really loves playing the game and is having fun with It. In an ideal world, that's how it should be.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

SuperDuck wrote:I already posted in the War Room that I don't think this is a done deal. Adams has clearly stated he's not coming to Oregon to sit on the bench and be a backup and the Oregon coaches have said that they won't guarantee anyone the starting job.

The fact that he'd miss spring ball is huge. Dennis Dizon may have picked up the offense in fall camp under Chip Kelly, but at least least Dixon was familiar with the spread, after running a version of it under Gary Crowton the year before. Also, Chip prepared Justin Roper for the Sun Bowl in around 18 days, too. The guy was a genius.

Adams also said that he loves it in Cheney, WA and has no problem remaining there for his senior year as they have "unfinished business", referring to the FCS title.

We'll see.
Adams runs a very similar offense to what we do, much more similar than the transition from Crowton's offense to Chip's. I'm still not certain on the Adams timeline, I have heard everything from he has gotten his release and can leave whenever to he can't get here til end of August but no one 'in the know' has confirmed anything.
Spokaneduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Spokaneduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:How's Adams' character? I'd like to have more Mariotas and less Masolis.
VA is a good kid. He definitely plays with some swagger and flair but hasn't had any off the field issues. The local sports radio show I listen to talked a lot about him this year. The hosts said VA is always willing to talk with them at practice, he is always polite and has volunteered a lot in the community. They also said he is like Richard Sherman in the way that he always knows where the camera is and enjoys being in the spotlight. I haven't heard any negatives about his character. He is a college kid who likes to have fun but does it in the right way.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

SuperDuck wrote:I already posted in the War Room that I don't think this is a done deal. Adams has clearly stated he's not coming to Oregon to sit on the bench and be a backup and the Oregon coaches have said that they won't guarantee anyone the starting job.

We'll see.
Chip came in time for spring practices that season so Dennis had more than just fall camp to pick up the offense. Adams' situation is not as conducive to getting the starting job because he'll be a newcomer trying to gel with all the players who've been in the program already while also learning a new system that may or may not be similar (in terms of plays and terminology) to what he ran at EWU. I think it's 50-50 whether he actually comes here.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Masoli had 3 weeks at UO before starting, and leading us to 10 wins. If he can learn enough of our O in that short of time, then a 5th year Sr. should have no problem over a summer. Besides no one is asking him to be the man, just get the ball to a roster full of playmakers.
nogerO
Senior

If this happens

Post by nogerO »

the first time the rest of the squad gets to see him in action will probably quell at the "team chemistry" issues one way or another. Kid can play.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:Masoli had 3 weeks at UO before starting, and leading us to 10 wins. If he can learn enough of our O in that short of time, then a 5th year Sr. should have no problem over a summer. Besides no one is asking him to be the man, just get the ball to a roster full of playmakers.
Masoli committed in May and showed up for summer workouts, which allowed him time to gel with teammates and learn the offense before being thrown into it during fall camp. Also, he wasn't the full-time starter until midway through the season so he didn't win the job outright after only a few weeks of camp. I'm not sure Adams wants to transfer if there's a high possibility that he won't play much if he doesn't win the job initially.