Charles Nelson Question, NOT based on fact

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Charles Nelson Question, NOT based on fact

Post by pezsez1 »

Title is so nobody jumps to any conclusions about why I'm asking this.

That said...

Some people have voiced concern over our DB depth being a bit thin. And next year, we're going to have an embarrassment of riches on the offensive side of the ball... not just with guys coming back, but with some highly heralded new recruits.

With that in mind, what are the odds Charles Nelson makes the move to the defensive side of the ball? With his tackling and playmaking ability, I'd have to think he'd be a possible starter on defense. Can't say the same for him on offense, though. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ME some Charles Nelson, but I think he'd see the field a lot more on defense... and we really have a need for a player of his caliber in our defensive backfield.

What do you guys think? Could it happen? We all know he's taken reps with the D in practice, but would this be a worthwhile move? Or at this point, is he better off just staying with the offense?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Charles Nelson Question, NOT based on fact

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Some insiders said it was a sure thing.......but I personally couldn't pick up if they were being sarcastic or not.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Also, I'm thinking his size might be working against him as a CB. He's only 5'9" and Oregon has been recruiting bigger CBs to defend against all the big WRs in the Pac-12 so I imagine he doesn't fit there as well. This past year, only Dior Mathis would have been the same height as Nelson while the rest of the CBs were between 5'10" and 6'1". Then look at this year's signed DBs and you'll see no one at Nelson's height.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

If there is adequate talent on the offensive side of the ball that would make it possible for him to switch then I think it would be a mistake not too. He can still return kicks but rather than having an impact 5-10 offensive plays a game he could be contributing 50-60 plays a game. I think the argument can be made that it's where his talent really lies; we've seen what a big hitting and sure tackler he is. It's what they should have done with DAT. They never gave the him the ball, might as well have let him be a DB and make 10x the impact on the game.

Obviously if moving him leaves a hole on the offensive side of the ball then you don't do it. I have a hard time imagining that James, Merritt, Griffin and Lovette wouldn't be able to fill his role though.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

He's a perfect defensive back. It would be beneficial to both parties if he made the move.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I would have him spend this whole Spring at DB for some cross training. We have so little depth and even less proven experience it wouldn't take many injuries to make the Secondary into a real weakness. Heck they likely will be one with no injuries.

If at the end of Spring practice he looks like a starter at Corner keep him there. If he looks like the 3rd best Corner, Nickel Back/Slot corner would be a perfect fit for his aggressive tackling, speed and lack of size.

If he looks like the 4th or 5th best corner then you have to make a decision. Try to make him our first 2 way player in decades? Keep him on defense full-time as a seldom used reserve? (he wouldnt like that I would guess.)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Helfrich just mentioned in his presser Q&A that they're looking at the possibility of moving a couple offensive guys to the secondary but it's still up in the air because of how good some of the younger DBs are looking in winter workouts.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

greenyellow wrote:Also, I'm thinking his size might be working against him as a CB. He's only 5'9" and Oregon has been recruiting bigger CBs to defend against all the big WRs in the Pac-12 so I imagine he doesn't fit there as well. This past year, only Dior Mathis would have been the same height as Nelson while the rest of the CBs were between 5'10" and 6'1". Then look at this year's signed DBs and you'll see no one at Nelson's height.
Fairly certain that Ifo is not 5'10.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:If there is adequate talent on the offensive side of the ball that would make it possible for him to switch then I think it would be a mistake not too. He can still return kicks but rather than having an impact 5-10 offensive plays a game he could be contributing 50-60 plays a game. I think the argument can be made that it's where his talent really lies; we've seen what a big hitting and sure tackler he is. It's what they should have done with DAT. They never gave the him the ball, might as well have let him be a DB and make 10x the impact on the game.

Obviously if moving him leaves a hole on the offensive side of the ball then you don't do it. I have a hard time imagining that James, Merritt, Griffin and Lovette wouldn't be able to fill his role though.
Don't forget Addison as well.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phenom wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Also, I'm thinking his size might be working against him as a CB. He's only 5'9" and Oregon has been recruiting bigger CBs to defend against all the big WRs in the Pac-12 so I imagine he doesn't fit there as well. This past year, only Dior Mathis would have been the same height as Nelson while the rest of the CBs were between 5'10" and 6'1". Then look at this year's signed DBs and you'll see no one at Nelson's height.
Fairly certain that Ifo is not 5'10.
He's listed at 5'10" on GoDucks so that's what I'm going with.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Ifo is 5'10 at best. Cliff Harris was closer to 5'10 than 6'0. I highly doubt that Ugo Amadi is 5'10.

Height at corner isn't nearly as important people think. I'll take an undersized fast corner over a big, slow one.

With more teams playing zone and nickle, it's pretty much necessary to have a 3rd corner on the field who can cover the slot. I would love to see Nelson move over to defense.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Duck07
All-American

Re: Chip Nelson Question, NOT based on fact

Post by Duck07 »

This might be a little (lot) outlandish to suggest, but I think Nelson has some of the same attributes that make Earl Thomas the best FS in football. I don't think Chip is best suited as an outside CB but rather at FS/Nickel. He's got great speed and agility, hits like a dump truck and while we saw Ifo play extremely well outside, I can't help but think that whoever drafts Ifo is going to move him to FS. As has been said, Chip already knows the position and he can still do ST as a defensive player so its not like we'd be removing all opportunities for him to be a play-maker either.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

chip is his new nickname?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dd10snoop28 wrote:chip is his new nickname?
This was started a while ago that Charles is the new Chip! I don't think FishDuck knows yet but soon enough man, soon enough...
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Chip Nelson Question, NOT based on fact

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:This might be a little (lot) outlandish to suggest, but I think Nelson has some of the same attributes that make Earl Thomas the best FS in football. I don't think Chip is best suited as an outside CB but rather at FS/Nickel. He's got great speed and agility, hits like a dump truck and while we saw Ifo play extremely well outside, I can't help but think that whoever drafts Ifo is going to move him to FS. As has been said, Chip already knows the position and he can still do ST as a defensive player so its not like we'd be removing all opportunities for him to be a play-maker either.
I agree. I also think we'll be in Nickel more than 50% of the time.

I expect to see very little man coverage next year and seldom rushing more than 4 as we don't have one let alone two or three DB's that have proven they can hold up in isolated one on one coverage.

I don't know whether Nelson will actually be switched or if he does whether he can crack the rotation, but the one thing I am fairly certain of is, if he gets on field on D he'll be the fiercest pound for pound hitter on the team.