All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Vernon Adams to decide Monday

Post by lukeyrid13 »

DAT_man_again wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:
we all feel inferior
:roll:

I don't know about you, but I couldn't feel any better/badder/prouder about being an OREGON DUCK.

There is nothing I would rather be than a student of the school and a fan of this team. But the fact of the matter is we haven't won the big one and so it is pretty normal to think (even on a subconscious level) that urban is a better recruiter. I think the biggest fear I have is that yeah we can dominate the pac 12. And even beat programs like FSU and USC and Wisconsin. But when it comes to the games with the best of the best we have been physically dominated on more than one occasion. So do we really have the best players? I think we do, but it's a legit fear. So that kind of plays into the fear of Urban being a better recruiter.
When we lose, it is pretty much only to top 5 teams. I think a lot of our scrutiny comes with the fact that we have so few losses and we don't get upset(closing ears when you say Arizona). People point to: Auburn, LSU, Ohio St, Stanford and remember those losses cause they're typically our only loss in a season and in a high profile game. When FSU loses to NC-State or Ohio St loses to Va Tech those games aren't broken down and scrutinized as much because they weren't billed as big games and no one points out that Va Tech dominated the LOS a lot of the time against Ohio St cause they weren't watching.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
DAT_man_again wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:
we all feel inferior
:roll:

I don't know about you, but I couldn't feel any better/badder/prouder about being an OREGON DUCK.

There is nothing I would rather be than a student of the school and a fan of this team. But the fact of the matter is we haven't won the big one and so it is pretty normal to think (even on a subconscious level) that urban is a better recruiter. I think the biggest fear I have is that yeah we can dominate the pac 12. And even beat programs like FSU and USC and Wisconsin. But when it comes to the games with the best of the best we have been physically dominated on more than one occasion. So do we really have the best players? I think we do, but it's a legit fear. So that kind of plays into the fear of Urban being a better recruiter.
When we lose, it is pretty much only to top 5 teams. I think a lot of our scrutiny comes with the fact that we have so few losses and we don't get upset(closing ears when you say Arizona). People point to: Auburn, LSU, Ohio St, Stanford and remember those losses cause they're typically our only loss in a season and in a high profile game. When FSU loses to NC-State or Ohio St loses to Va Tech those games aren't broken down and scrutinized as much because they weren't billed as big games and no one points out that Va Tech dominated the LOS a lot of the time against Ohio St cause they weren't watching.
I call BS on the last game. Our pot smoking friend (Carrington), Allen's injury and early drops by Nelson and Stanford changed the whole scope of the game. We were without a burner which allowed them to go 8 in the box after the 1st quarter. It changed the whole dynamic of the offense and even the defense. We won the turnover battle and Marcus had no one to throw too. This one is on the selfish CA who had to get high on break. Sorry but that's a fact. Our defense was never designed (in terms of personnel) to be dominant unless we get lights out LB's. The 3-5 is based upon that. This was always Aliotti's flaws and thank goodness DP new the flaw. They have been working upon getting the personnel to support a 4-3-5 defense. You can see this with the acquisition of Fotu and Bostick. I think this will be huge next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us right in the thick of it with Adams and the the DL we have in place next year. Bostick and the Secondary have to play up to snuff but I think we're fine in the secondary with 2 of the pieces (Siesay and Daniels) whats unknown is both depth and the others. If they play up to snuff we'll dominate and I think, be better than last year. Remember, with the exception of QB and RB, DL and LB we were a piecemeal team last season. This year, the only question is QB and Secondary. I think OL will actually be better this year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'd love to run a 4-3-5 defense but its not allowed.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

12th Man? I thought that was what a lot of teams tried against the Ducks, late in some of the blowouts...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:I'd love to run a 4-3-5 defense but its not allowed.
That's just the kind of cutting-edge defensive philosophy Pellum brings to the table.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phalanx wrote:
That's just the kind of cutting-edge defensive philosophy Pellum brings to the table.
What if it was like a Total Recall 12th man? Another set of eyes on the field! :lol:
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Duck07 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
What if it was like a Total Recall 12th man? Another set of eyes on the field! :lol:
To paraphrase a childhood rhyme... 2 spies U R, 2 spies I C. I C U have 2 spies 4 me!

(For those of you who don't get the reference: YY (Translates as Too Wise) U R, YY U B. I C U R YY 4 me!)

Yeah, I know it's silly. Monday came a day late, this week!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Phalanx wrote:
He'd still rush 3 somehow
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

chapelhillduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
He'd still rush 3 somehow
Sure. He'd just drop his 3 tech into a short zone in the middle.
MontanaDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by MontanaDuck »

nogerO wrote:Yeah, I'm sure his receivers at EWU were a lot better than the ones he'll have at Oregon. :roll: :lol: :lol:

MontanaDuck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Watching this playoff game against Montana...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkUZfQAyy3Q

I am not a talent scout, but he really doesn't impress me as someone who will come in and make us forget about Mariota. He doesn't run for yardage very often, which to me is a huge issue in our offense. He seems to lose focus if he is forced to scramble, and his lack of stature causes some passes to get blocked. He is a good passer if he gets some protection, and he certainly knows how to thread the needle and move the chains, but he doesn't have the strongest arm in the world - he lofts a lot of throws and relies on his receivers to come down with the ball.

That's just my own observation. I would be curious to know what others thought of this game. I definitely think the coaches made the right call in not guaranteeing him the starting gig. Given the challenges of coming into a new program and getting to know all of the personnel, I don't think it's a guarantee that he would rise head and shoulders above Lockie, Mahalek, and Waller.
Agree 100%. As someone who has watched him play over the last four years... VA's receivers make him look better than he is. If he can have the same chemistry with his receivers at Oregon as he does at EWU, he will do a serviceable job, but I'm afraid that the opponent's higher talent level will be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt Oregon has superior talent, but what made the EWU passing game so effective was the talented duo of VA and Cooper Kupp. Kupp is a superior athlete at the FCS level and few teams could match up defensively. Adams got bailed out a ton because Kupp could physically dominate the DBs he was matched up with.

VA is talented for sure, but I'm not convinced there is going to be receivers to bail him out like Cooper Kupp. The talent gap was much larger at the FCS level.

MontanaDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by MontanaDuck »

Phalanx wrote:
nogerO wrote:Yeah, I'm sure his receivers at EWU were a lot better than the ones he'll have at Oregon. :roll: :lol: :lol:

MontanaDuck wrote:
Agree 100%. As someone who has watched him play over the last four years... VA's receivers make him look better than he is. If he can have the same chemistry with his receivers at Oregon as he does at EWU, he will do a serviceable job, but I'm afraid that the opponent's higher talent level will be a problem.

The issue is whether Oregon's receivers will be superior enough to the DB's guarding them to go up and get the balls that Adams likes to loft into coverage. Yes, we have good receivers, but the DB's are also good.
My thoughts exactly.