Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Vernon Adams to decide Monday

Post by QuackininBama »

Duck24 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
ArkansasDuck wrote:Got on the EWU board and boy have they turned on Adams pretty quickly. I mean I understand being upset but dang some of the butt hurt is pretty bad
They should be. They went from a championship caliber team to God knows what. How pissed would we be if Mariota would have opted to transfer to Alabama instead of go pro or stay at Oregon?
Not sure it's totally comparable, I think it's more comparable to Mariota going pro. We obviously selfishly want him to stay but it's such a clear upgrade for him personally that you can't blame him or if an Oregon QB had transferred to say Nebraska 30 years ago.
Think of it this way. Marcus had three choices following this season since he graduated. Stay, go pro or transfer to another school and be immediately eligible. If he would have opted to transfer and essentially torch our championship dreams, a riot would ensue on this board. Imagine if he transferred to a team we play this season like Adams did. Nobody would be wishing him the best of luck. Given how some people melt down when a recruit doesn't choose Oregon, I can't even imagine what would have happened if he transferred to say Michigan State. Now I highly doubt he even entertained the idea of transferring, all I'm saying is nobody should be surprised that EWU fans are pissed.
The difference is, this isn't a lateral move, this is a promotion. Mariota could have stayed another year, but he choose the promotion instead. I doubt EW fans are pissed. If they truly like Adams then they want to see him succeed, and going to one of the most high profile teams in the entire nation will give him the opportunity to showcase his skills to NFL scouts. I don't see how any fan of Adams could be upset over this.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Video interview Adams gave to discuss his decision. Seems he's wanted to play for Oregon since he was a kid so this was his one opportunity to accomplish that.

http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/2806 ... -to-oregon
He passes the interview test. Look forward to hearing how he practices.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

With passing ability Adams brings to the table, combined with Oregon's WR corps., could the Ducks have a more significant deep passing game?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

With passing ability Adams brings to the table, combined with Oregon's WR corps., could the Ducks have a more significant deep passing game?

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Mariota threw for over 4000 yards last year which was by far an Oregon record. I think we will continue to do well passing the ball next year but it would be quite surprising if we could equal or surpass what we did this past season.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Yeah, I'm sure his receivers at EWU were a lot better than the ones he'll have at Oregon. :roll: :lol: :lol:

MontanaDuck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Watching this playoff game against Montana...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkUZfQAyy3Q

I am not a talent scout, but he really doesn't impress me as someone who will come in and make us forget about Mariota. He doesn't run for yardage very often, which to me is a huge issue in our offense. He seems to lose focus if he is forced to scramble, and his lack of stature causes some passes to get blocked. He is a good passer if he gets some protection, and he certainly knows how to thread the needle and move the chains, but he doesn't have the strongest arm in the world - he lofts a lot of throws and relies on his receivers to come down with the ball.

That's just my own observation. I would be curious to know what others thought of this game. I definitely think the coaches made the right call in not guaranteeing him the starting gig. Given the challenges of coming into a new program and getting to know all of the personnel, I don't think it's a guarantee that he would rise head and shoulders above Lockie, Mahalek, and Waller.
Agree 100%. As someone who has watched him play over the last four years... VA's receivers make him look better than he is. If he can have the same chemistry with his receivers at Oregon as he does at EWU, he will do a serviceable job, but I'm afraid that the opponent's higher talent level will be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

nogerO wrote:Yeah, I'm sure his receivers at EWU were a lot better than the ones he'll have at Oregon. :roll: :lol: :lol:

MontanaDuck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:Watching this playoff game against Montana...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkUZfQAyy3Q

I am not a talent scout, but he really doesn't impress me as someone who will come in and make us forget about Mariota. He doesn't run for yardage very often, which to me is a huge issue in our offense. He seems to lose focus if he is forced to scramble, and his lack of stature causes some passes to get blocked. He is a good passer if he gets some protection, and he certainly knows how to thread the needle and move the chains, but he doesn't have the strongest arm in the world - he lofts a lot of throws and relies on his receivers to come down with the ball.

That's just my own observation. I would be curious to know what others thought of this game. I definitely think the coaches made the right call in not guaranteeing him the starting gig. Given the challenges of coming into a new program and getting to know all of the personnel, I don't think it's a guarantee that he would rise head and shoulders above Lockie, Mahalek, and Waller.
I

Agree 100%. As someone who has watched him play over the last four years... VA's receivers make him look better than he is. If he can have the same chemistry with his receivers at Oregon as he does at EWU, he will do a serviceable job, but I'm afraid that the opponent's higher talent level will be a problem. I think the floor for him is a "serviceable job." If the receivers at oregon are close to the ones at ewu he will be a star

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

nogerO wrote:Yeah, I'm sure his receivers at EWU were a lot better than the ones he'll have at Oregon. :roll: :lol: :lol:

MontanaDuck wrote:
Agree 100%. As someone who has watched him play over the last four years... VA's receivers make him look better than he is. If he can have the same chemistry with his receivers at Oregon as he does at EWU, he will do a serviceable job, but I'm afraid that the opponent's higher talent level will be a problem.

The issue is whether Oregon's receivers will be superior enough to the DB's guarding them to go up and get the balls that Adams likes to loft into coverage. Yes, we have good receivers, but the DB's are also good.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

You guys keep forgetting about our gimmick offense. IF Vernon Adams was transferring to Florida State then OBVIOUSLY he cannot throw the kind of ball that Jameis could. Replacing Marcus at Oregon is much easier because Marcus only had to throw to wide open WRs.

Duh.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck07 wrote:You guys keep forgetting about our gimmick offense. IF Vernon Adams was transferring to Florida State then OBVIOUSLY he cannot throw the kind of ball that Jameis could. Replacing Marcus at Oregon is much easier because Marcus only had to throw to wide open WRs.

Duh.
Yes, I forgot. Never mind; I guess there's nothing to worry about.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Move on... Nothing to see here!

Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

Well, that's nice, Adams' former coach decided to take a potshot at us:

"I don't see [Ohio State coach] Urban Meyer going to Northern Iowa for his next guy."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... coach-says
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Duck07 wrote:You guys keep forgetting about our gimmick offense. IF Vernon Adams was transferring to Florida State then OBVIOUSLY he cannot throw the kind of ball that Jameis could. Replacing Marcus at Oregon is much easier because Marcus only had to throw to wide open WRs.

Duh.
Plug and play
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Lot's of double talk coming from Baldwin.

See you in September, pal.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

"I don't see [Ohio State coach] Urban Meyer going to Northern Iowa for his next guy."
If this coach thinks Urban Meyer wouldn't do anything in the name of winning, then I question whether he watches anything but his own games.

And yep, see you in September! Can't come soon enough.
Willie Taggart is a dick.