GM: Dallas Mavericks

Re: Predictions for 2015

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early
lawduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by lawduck »

mattc94 wrote:Two or three losses. But I predicted that last year and look where we ended up.
FWIW, we did end up with two losses this year....
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

It's really hard to predict how a team will fare with a new QB, even if the QB is VA.

I just can't wait for the season to start honestly... I'm also curious to hear more about the defense switching to a 4-3 defense.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I hope I am wrong but I still see 3 losses. Michigan State... USC... and Stanford. We could also potentially lose to ASU or Washington. I am not sold on our defense. It was badly exploited against Ohio State with our linebackers being out of position and the tackling being horrible. That combined with the loss of our first ever Heisman will have me concerned going into 2015. It might be interesting to see how much support Helfrich will have if loses 3 or 4 games and the defense does not make drastic improvements. I truly hope I am wrong and that we have a qb who will step up. The addition of Vernon Adams could make that a possibility. Spring will definitely be interesting to watch when it comes to the qb spot. Mahalak... Lockie... Waller... and Adams if is here for spring ball. Will any of them step up?
Spokaneduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Spokaneduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I hope I am wrong but I still see 3 losses. Michigan State... USC... and Stanford. We could also potentially lose to ASU or Washington. I am not sold on our defense. It was badly exploited against Ohio State with our linebackers being out of position and the tackling being horrible. That combined with the loss of our first ever Heisman will have me concerned going into 2015. It might be interesting to see how much support Helfrich will have if loses 3 or 4 games and the defense does not make drastic improvements. I truly hope I am wrong and that we have a qb who will step up. The addition of Vernon Adams could make that a possibility. Spring will definitely be interesting to watch when it comes to the qb spot. Mahalak... Lockie... Waller... and Adams if is here for spring ball. Will any of them step up?
Adams isn't scheduled to graduate from EWU until June 12th so it is unlikely he will be playing in the Spring game. I am excited to see the others compete and try to earn their spot. I fully expect VA to be the starting quarterback come September but the Spring game will give us all a peek at the future.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I hope I am wrong but I still see 3 losses. Michigan State... USC... and Stanford. We could also potentially lose to ASU or Washington. I am not sold on our defense. It was badly exploited against Ohio State with our linebackers being out of position and the tackling being horrible. That combined with the loss of our first ever Heisman will have me concerned going into 2015. It might be interesting to see how much support Helfrich will have if loses 3 or 4 games and the defense does not make drastic improvements. I truly hope I am wrong and that we have a qb who will step up. The addition of Vernon Adams could make that a possibility. Spring will definitely be interesting to watch when it comes to the qb spot. Mahalak... Lockie... Waller... and Adams if is here for spring ball. Will any of them step up?
Our defense did fine against pro style teams, it's the spread teams that got us.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

If want to say it is spread offenses that got us then must ask the question.. if Oregon is one of the top offenses in the country and we run a spread offense... then how is it our defense is so bad against them. I know can say they are different from ours but you would think somewhere the defense would work extremely hard on correcting their problems. The Ohio State game am not saying we lost because of our defense... I think we lost it everywhere possible. Ohio State played their A game... while our beloved ducks wellllllll might have played a C game. In a game of that magnitude that does not cut it. If we do not see drastic improvement in our linebackers and our tackling I am fearful we will lose more games than some will be use to. I will still support our ducks regardless.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

It's not accurate to say our defense was bad last season. Most of the year, we were pretty good. Lots of people on this board came around to that belief by the end of the year.

Against Ohio State, our defense didn't get any help from our offense (which is what usually happens when Oregon loses). Seriously, when's the last time we lost a 45-42 shootout or something crazy like that? In the national championship game our offense made bonehead mistakes early on, then went completely flat, allowing Ohio State's offense to pick up steam and wear down our D (which still got like four or five turnovers, which our offense completely failed to take advantage of).

I get it that people are still hurt about losing the natty, but you can't take one game and say, "Look what happened here, the whole season was bad!" When really, our D was formidable against several other good offenses, including Michigan State.

Can our defense be better against elite teams? Absolutely. But can our offense be better against elite teams, too? With equal conviction, absolutely.

I get railed sometimes for sticking up for the D, but I really don't like seeing everyone pile on the D while giving our offense a free pass. It's important to keep perspective. On any team, when the offense continually puts the defense in poor position to succeed, chances are bad things will happen.
The Ohio State game am not saying we lost because of our defense... I think we lost it everywhere possible.
Yes, couldn't agree more.

And this rant is kind of a response to what I've seen in a couple of threads. Hopefully those JUCO LBs make an impact in the same way Joe Walker did.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think we lose to Michigan St and USC. We will still win the North but the 2 losses will knock us out of playoff contention, even if we win the P12 title game.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think we lose to Michigan St and USC. We will still win the North but the 2 losses will knock us out of playoff contention, even if we win the P12 title game.
True, unless there is a 2007/8 where the final AP top six after the bowls were all 2 loss teams. Lose early to MSU with VA yet to take over at QB and that loss barely counts if the bubble is made up of other 2 loss teams.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think we lose to Michigan St and USC. We will still win the North but the 2 losses will knock us out of playoff contention, even if we win the P12 title game.
You think Sark can win at Autzen?
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Boom wrote:
You think Sark can win at Autzen?
NOPE,
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

National champs or bust.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

pezsez1 wrote:It's not accurate to say our defense was bad last season. Most of the year, we were pretty good. Lots of people on this board came around to that belief by the end of the year.

Against Ohio State, our defense didn't get any help from our offense (which is what usually happens when Oregon loses). Seriously, when's the last time we lost a 45-42 shootout or something crazy like that? In the national championship game our offense made bonehead mistakes early on, then went completely flat, allowing Ohio State's offense to pick up steam and wear down our D (which still got like four or five turnovers, which our offense completely failed to take advantage of).

I get it that people are still hurt about losing the natty, but you can't take one game and say, "Look what happened here, the whole season was bad!" When really, our D was formidable against several other good offenses, including Michigan State.

Can our defense be better against elite teams? Absolutely. But can our offense be better against elite teams, too? With equal conviction, absolutely.

I get railed sometimes for sticking up for the D, but I really don't like seeing everyone pile on the D while giving our offense a free pass. It's important to keep perspective. On any team, when the offense continually puts the defense in poor position to succeed, chances are bad things will happen.
The Ohio State game am not saying we lost because of our defense... I think we lost it everywhere possible.
Yes, couldn't agree more.

And this rant is kind of a response to what I've seen in a couple of threads. Hopefully those JUCO LBs make an impact in the same way Joe Walker did.

- You are for the most part accurate. We got killed once they saw how our lack of real receivers. They switched to man and put 9 in the box which destroyed us. We won the turnover battle but without a real receiving core (thanks Carrington) there was no real threat. All we had were possesion receivers. Nothing that could really torch them. Then they rolled us with the bloody trap. LB's got exposed with that. 4-3 with a true Monster Safety should help. Willing to bet that they had this in mind with Bostick and Fotu.