Sam Bradford To Eagles For Nick Foles (Goodbye Marcus)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Sam Bradford To Eagles For Nick Foles (Goodbye Marcus)

Post by Alan »

gofightingducks wrote:I think there may be something bigger behind this. A larger plan. Very interesting moves by Chip. I hope it all works out
X2,

chip is too smart for this, somthing is in his mind. Frank Gore at 32, lots of this system backs out there. MM may still be in play, without a doubt the most I'll pay attention to the draft in years.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Bradford has one year left on his deal i believe...perhaps Chips still wants MM but wants to let him sit for a year?
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

There was an article about a month ago indicating that there were several Top 10 teams that were more interested in Bradford than Mariota because, despite the injury problems, he's a proven NFL commodity. I found it a bit odd of a comparison at the time, but it's interesting to see it at play now. Perhaps there's a trade partner that is more interested in Bradford than they were Foles and Kelly is putting together a package to get Mariota still. I think it's very telling that there's a conditional pick in there if Bradford doesn't play for the Eagles this year - the deal seems incredibly lopsided if this trade were truly intended to make Bradford the Eagles QB, it's not as bad in terms of value exchanged if Chip doesn't have any intention for Bradford to suit up for them. Granted, that can also be read as an insurance policy due to Bradford's health, but if that's the case the Eagles are still mostly getting hosed by this deal.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I admit it is a confusing move, but I also have to laugh a little bit at all the Foles love. The guy was considered a joke when Chip first started with the Eagles, a third rounder and lifetime backup who couldn't even beat out Michael Vick for the starting gig. Now Foles is all-world and should never be traded. Chip must chuckle to himself as he hears some of the opinions swirling on the internets.

I have no idea what he is doing, and the picks thing is even more perplexing, but it makes for an interesting offseason, anyway.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Read that the browns were interested in Bradford prior to free agency opening up. There could be a trade in the works with Cleveland
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Ya people talking about how Chip won't go after Marcus now, but with Bradford injuries I don't see this from stopping Chip from going after Marcus.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I wouldn't be surprised if Chip picked up Bradford and will use him as trade bait with any team that looks like they might draft MM.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

What value does a QB who has suffered three season ending injuries during his NFL career have? I know better than to question Chip but what is he doing? In what universe do you trade a QB who has been successful for you and has no significant cap dollars as well as a 2nd round pick for a guy who has missed more games due to injuries than he has played who has a large cap hit and a 5th rounder? When I read the details of that trade, it reminded me of turning off fair trades in Madden and trading my OK QB and crap draft picks for a superstar QB and that teams top picks. I know he has a strong system and believes in it quite a bit and hope I'm eating crow in 9 months but that trade was questionable at best.

Edit: One the bright side of this trade, Stephen A. Smith looks like a big idiot now that he has traded away his white QB... :lol:
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Duck24 wrote:What value does a QB who has suffered three season ending injuries during his NFL career have? I know better than to question Chip but what is he doing? In what universe do you trade a QB who has been successful for you and has no significant cap dollars as well as a 2nd round pick for a guy who has missed more games due to injuries than he has played who has a large cap hit and a 5th rounder? When I read the details of that trade, it reminded me of turning off fair trades in Madden and trading my OK QB and crap draft picks for a superstar QB and that teams top picks. I know he has a strong system and believes in it quite a bit and hope I'm eating crow in 9 months but that trade was questionable at best.

Edit: One the bright side of this trade, Stephen A. Smith looks like a big idiot now that he has traded away his white QB... :lol:
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Birds surrender next year's second-rounder no matter what. However, the Rams will hand over a fourth-round selection if Bradford plays less than 50 percent of Philly's offensive snaps in '15, and that pick can become a third-rounder in the event he doesn't play at all this coming season due to injury.
There is a very good chance that they get a 2016 draft pick back from St. Louis.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Something else that we forget about is that teams are required to hit a cap minimum. Because Chip wasn't able to land some of the guys he wanted, he may be forced to bring in another big salary to meet those requirements. Also it looks like Ryan Matthews will be signing with the Eagles. If he stays healthy he would be a cheaper back that can catch the ball and fits in better. He less about trying to bounce around people and more of a straight ahead runner the McCoy.

There are all sorts of reasons things could be playing out the way they are. I'm interested in seeing the results now.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

squintsdd wrote:Something else that we forget about is that teams are required to hit a cap minimum. Because Chip wasn't able to land some of the guys he wanted, he may be forced to bring in another big salary to meet those requirements. Also it looks like Ryan Matthews will be signing with the Eagles. If he stays healthy he would be a cheaper back that can catch the ball and fits in better. He less about trying to bounce around people and more of a straight ahead runner the McCoy.

There are all sorts of reasons things could be playing out the way they are. I'm interested in seeing the results now.
Problem he has is he's prone to fumbling and been injured a lot. Chip is taking a lot of risks on players with injury histories. Of all the players he's gotten this off-season (Maxwell, Thurmond, Alonso, Bradford, and Matthews), only Maxwell played in more than 10 games last year.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

greenyellow wrote:
squintsdd wrote:Something else that we forget about is that teams are required to hit a cap minimum. Because Chip wasn't able to land some of the guys he wanted, he may be forced to bring in another big salary to meet those requirements. Also it looks like Ryan Matthews will be signing with the Eagles. If he stays healthy he would be a cheaper back that can catch the ball and fits in better. He less about trying to bounce around people and more of a straight ahead runner the McCoy.

Problem he has is he's prone to fumbling and been injured a lot. Chip is taking a lot of risks on players with injury histories. Of all the players he's gotten this off-season (Maxwell, Thurmond, Alonso, Bradford, and Matthews), only Maxwell played in more than 10 games last year.
True. You gotta figure he's really banking on the injury bug staying away, which is tough to swallow given these players histories, but if all these guys can stay helthy this could be a very very good team. Now he just needs to fill a void at receiver.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

squintsdd wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

True. You gotta figure he's really banking on the injury bug staying away, which is tough to swallow given these players histories, but if all these guys can stay helthy this could be a very very good team. Now he just needs to fill a void at receiver.
And at safety. They still haven't gotten another starting safety so I think they're going to fill that need, and WR, in the draft.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

fpsduck wrote:
Duck24 wrote:What value does a QB who has suffered three season ending injuries during his NFL career have? I know better than to question Chip but what is he doing? In what universe do you trade a QB who has been successful for you and has no significant cap dollars as well as a 2nd round pick for a guy who has missed more games due to injuries than he has played who has a large cap hit and a 5th rounder? When I read the details of that trade, it reminded me of turning off fair trades in Madden and trading my OK QB and crap draft picks for a superstar QB and that teams top picks. I know he has a strong system and believes in it quite a bit and hope I'm eating crow in 9 months but that trade was questionable at best.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Birds surrender next year's second-rounder no matter what. However, the Rams will hand over a fourth-round selection if Bradford plays less than 50 percent of Philly's offensive snaps in '15, and that pick can become a third-rounder in the event he doesn't play at all this coming season due to injury.
There is a very good chance that they get a 2016 draft pick back from St. Louis.
So they traded a higher performing QB and higher draft pick (guaranteed 2nd rounder) for a QB coming off two season ending injuries and the possibility of a 3rd rounder...
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Foles looked terribad last year...worse than Sanchez. I am not a huge fan of this trade, but I can see why Chip did it. he doesn't want something safe that might compete for a playoff spot, he wants to win the NFC East and beyond. That's why he's making these moves.