Vernon Adams?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Vernon Adams?

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:
Phalanx wrote:This is all pretty common, normal stuff for transfers. It doesn't make me think any less of Adams. I have always thought the chances were slim that he would come in and beat everyone else out on day 1, and Lockie's performance in the spring game seemed to give more fuel to that feeling. The longer Adams is delayed in joining the team, the less chance he has to do his catching up and removing the several-year head start that Lockie, etc. have on him in the program.
I honestly don't see what everyone else saw in Lockie that I missed. Honestly, it was a very average showing. I'm scared to death and obviously so are the coaches or they wouldn't have even invited Adam's to the campus.
I have to disagree, Lockie was shaky last year, he looked good in the spring game. My problem "NOW" with Adams is he's not ready to transfer. By the earliest media report I found on google he had since the beginning of February to get it done, which means probably since mid January. Six months and he's not ready, intel large level? Or what, still has to gel with the team and know the ducks complex system...... Still a Lockie fan, he has too many other weapons to go to who is very familiar with. Adams can't finish a moth test... Or two.
Maybe I have you mixed up with another poster, but aren't you the one who never wanted him? And your a Montana guy?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

No, not me, I did throw a joke out to someone who offered to buy pizza for everyone if he was a no show. But on a serious note this is my first negative on VA...... He should have been ready to jump in and compete.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:No, not me, I did throw a joke out to someone who offered to buy pizza for everyone if he was a no show. But on a serious note this is my first negative on VA...... He should have been ready to jump in and compete.

He should have been, and actually might be. That said you should check out how horrible EWU is at teaching math. They even had to drop the masters program because so many students there fail.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Honestyly who cares as long as he gets here? He is coming here to play football. Not for education, call it what it is.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but the first two words that come to my mind is intelligence and motivation. He can't get a math class done on time and is suppose to step in and learn the Ducks complex offense in just a few months. My thoughts are he is miles and miles behind Lockie.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I get the concern, but honestly guys the percentage of the U of O football team that takes academics seriously is pretty small – like well below 50%. You can be critical of VA for not getting his stuff done, but just realixe you'd have to make the same judgment about a lot of your favorite players.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Tray Dub- what do you base your analysis on.? You made a pretty grandiose statement and I am wondering what you base it on. Do
You work with the teams academic advisors at the Jaqua?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

lmduck wrote:Tray Dub- what do you base your analysis on.? You made a pretty grandiose statement and I am wondering what you base it on. Do
You work with the teams academic advisors at the Jaqua?

I don't, but I just got out of college and I have friends who work with the team, both in the Jaqua and elsewhere. My sense of the players being on average fairly undisciplined about their academics on conversations with these people.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

And how do you explain the fact that thus far the ducks have had no one leave the team due to
Academic issues. I am not saying all of them are Einstein's and I am guessing most are average students but there is nothing wrong with that and UO has a very acceptable APR for football so can't argue with the facts.

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Well, they receive a huge amount of support and they often pick breezy majors. The team has an incentive to keep the APR acceptable and they achieve that, but they are picking kids who are all about athletics, which is rarely (not never) the same kids who are actually interested in academics. That's fine, not a criticism. My point is, if we're going to worry about Vernon's character because he isn't hitting the books, we should worry about a lot of players' characters because a lot of them just barely skimp by. This type of thing is really common with a major football team, ours included.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Tray Dub wrote:Well, they receive a huge amount of support and they often pick breezy majors. The team has an incentive to keep the APR acceptable and they achieve that, but they are picking kids who are all about athletics, which is rarely (not never) the same kids who are actually interested in academics. That's fine, not a criticism. My point is, if we're going to worry about Vernon's character because he isn't hitting the books, we should worry about a lot of players' characters because a lot of them just barely skimp by. This type of thing is really common with a major football team, ours included.
If players don't make the grade they are on academic suspension, has nothing to do with breezing by. But again I'm sure a player can't take golf and yoga for every class and every term......(a joke). It wasn't a surprise for VA he had a math class and the class may have a test or two. I'm a bit disappointed with his work ethic, I don't know how envolved with the Ducks is right now, but he's still technically a EW student, it sounds like he did not graduate yet.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Well, they receive a huge amount of support and they often pick breezy majors. The team has an incentive to keep the APR acceptable and they achieve that, but they are picking kids who are all about athletics, which is rarely (not never) the same kids who are actually interested in academics. That's fine, not a criticism. My point is, if we're going to worry about Vernon's character because he isn't hitting the books, we should worry about a lot of players' characters because a lot of them just barely skimp by. This type of thing is really common with a major football team, ours included.
If players don't make the grade they are on academic suspension, has nothing to do with breezing by. But again I'm sure a player can't take golf and yoga for every class and every term......(a joke). It wasn't a surprise for VA he had a math class and the class may have a test or two. I'm a bit disappointed with his work ethic, I don't know how envolved with the Ducks is right now, but he's still technically a EW student, it sounds like he did not graduate yet.

The problem is that you're ripping a kid based on info that may or may not be right. He told Duck territory he is good to go.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

And according the the Oregonian he told them he had two math test to finish. But you are correct the only thing any of us have to go on is correctness of the media. I may be wrong...... Nuff said, we'll see what happens.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Lots of assumptions being made today Buckmark and thanks for pointing it out. We are making assumptions on GPAs and majors and how dedicated the football team is in the classroom as well as what Vernon did or didn't do. We all know the assumption axiom.

The ducks have a top notch academic support staff and they and the players are doing SOMETHING right. EVERY player the ducks have signed for the last five years has been admitted to school and regardless of their major, the ducks have not incurred an academic casualty in several years. Not saying it can't or won't happen but again there have been lots of assumptions made here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Man I'm a lot more worried about Moi right now. Really need the LB depth.