Phil Steele Has Oregon Ranked #11, Behind USC & Stanford!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StreeterCL
One Star Recruit

Re: Phil Steele Has Oregon Ranked #11, Behind USC & Stanford

Post by StreeterCL »

srsmiley007 wrote:This poll is ridiculous. He has 2 polls the other has us at #6. Talk about covering his bases.

Response: Ducks at #5, Trojan's at #3 (only because of QB), Standford #15.

USC returns most of their pieces with the exception of a star DL & WR. All other draft/graduation losses are likely being replaced with more skilled players who saw PT last year. The notable difference is QB who is quite good and will make them a contender. Not sure about #3 due to depth but talent wise they are loaded.

Oregon's fall is almost all relegated to QB. They have more pieces on defense than before with the exception of DB. Troy Hill got rocked in the NC. Dargen might be the one notable loss that might be challenging to replace. With the exception of replacements for Dargen and IFO there is no dropoff. Armstead is no loss and will successfully be replaced. Seisay if he doesn't make a coverage error was solid and will be good this year.

If Vernon plays as well as he should with the WR's, RB's and OL that we have on deck we could actually be better than last year. Marcus had a piecemeal OL all season, then lost all of our stud Receivers's (Brown, Allen, Carrington & an injured Bayliss-who still played) allowing them to crowd the box in the NC.

Stanfords rank is joke. Top 20 not top 10. Too many key defensive losses, QB consistency is an issue.

The real issue is the schedule for SC & UO. We play UT, USC, MSU, Stanford & ASU which will all likely finish the season in top 25 with 3 of them likely top 10 teams. California could also be challenging. Additionally, our patsy games are against arguably 2 of the top 5 teams from I-AA. SC has almost the same challenging schedule with ND, UA and UCLA in addition to UT and ASU. Depth will be challenged and that's likely where we have an advantage.
I have no idea what Washington State returns, but they scare me much more than Arizona State and Stanford. Just because if our Defense doesn't improve, we might have a 52-49 game on our hands.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

USC is way too high at #3, they lack on the field production and you need a lot of that to justify a ranking that high. The media loves drinking the Trojan kool aid. I have a lot of worries about this season, but I think it'll go well. This will be a big test for the coaches, because if you're being honest, Mariota bailed them out of some bad situations and Frost doesn't have that luxury anymore. It almost feels like Frost knew he had that cause whenever they lost he mentioned something about Mariota being injured. But if you look at some key moments last season, Oregon got outcoached, but Mariota saved their butts. The best example was that play against MSU. Down by two scores, 3rd and long, no momentum at all, Oregon runs a play the MSU D Coordinator saw coming from a mile away. It's perfectly covered and Mariota is under pressure, he makes an incredible play to escape pressure and pitch it to Freeman for the first down which in my mind is the game defining play. If Mariota gets sacked and Oregon punts, I think MSU runs away with that game. I know the coaches will have a lot of talent, but they won't have Mariota to bail them out of bad situations and I'm curious to see how that goes.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StreeterCL wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:This poll is ridiculous. He has 2 polls the other has us at #6. Talk about covering his bases.

Response: Ducks at #5, Trojan's at #3 (only because of QB), Standford #15.

USC returns most of their pieces with the exception of a star DL & WR. All other draft/graduation losses are likely being replaced with more skilled players who saw PT last year. The notable difference is QB who is quite good and will make them a contender. Not sure about #3 due to depth but talent wise they are loaded.

Oregon's fall is almost all relegated to QB. They have more pieces on defense than before with the exception of DB. Troy Hill got rocked in the NC. Dargen might be the one notable loss that might be challenging to replace. With the exception of replacements for Dargen and IFO there is no dropoff. Armstead is no loss and will successfully be replaced. Seisay if he doesn't make a coverage error was solid and will be good this year.

If Vernon plays as well as he should with the WR's, RB's and OL that we have on deck we could actually be better than last year. Marcus had a piecemeal OL all season, then lost all of our stud Receivers's (Brown, Allen, Carrington & an injured Bayliss-who still played) allowing them to crowd the box in the NC.

Stanfords rank is joke. Top 20 not top 10. Too many key defensive losses, QB consistency is an issue.

The real issue is the schedule for SC & UO. We play UT, USC, MSU, Stanford & ASU which will all likely finish the season in top 25 with 3 of them likely top 10 teams. California could also be challenging. Additionally, our patsy games are against arguably 2 of the top 5 teams from I-AA. SC has almost the same challenging schedule with ND, UA and UCLA in addition to UT and ASU. Depth will be challenged and that's likely where we have an advantage.
I have no idea what Washington State returns, but they scare me much more than Arizona State and Stanford. Just because if our Defense doesn't improve, we might have a 52-49 game on our hands.
I'm not worried, DP grew as a D Coordinator throughout the season a lot and turned out to be a good coach. He coached scared and conservative that game, he won't repeat that mistake. Oregon is just too talented for a team like WSU.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I am not sold on Pellum being a good defensive coordinator. I know are others in the same boat as me not feeling confident in Pellum.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Hard to argue against Pellum's defense...........we were in the National Championship. It wasn't pretty, but in the end who could say it wasn't effective?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I am not sold on Pellum being a good defensive coordinator. I know are others in the same boat as me not feeling confident in Pellum.

I for one have nothing but confidence in Pellum ...... "at this point". He has his rookie season, in which he went to the NC game, behind him and a great bunch of assistant coaches helping him out. I believe his confidence level is pretty good right now.
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

Phil Steele's biggest fault is over reliance in numbers and returning players.

He rarely accounts for new players (how could he, really) or coaching. That second point alone is why USC won't sniff anything remotely close to #3 come January.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

QuackininBama wrote:Hard to argue against Pellum's defense...........we were in the National Championship. It wasn't pretty, but in the end who could say it wasn't effective?
Pellum's defense got jacked in the NC game though, primarily with OSU running the same couple of plays over and over and over. I do have serious questions about his ability to adjust to an in-game situation.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:Hard to argue against Pellum's defense...........we were in the National Championship. It wasn't pretty, but in the end who could say it wasn't effective?
Pellum's defense got jacked in the NC game though, primarily with OSU running the same couple of plays over and over and over. I do have serious questions about his ability to adjust to an in-game situation.

To be fair here, Bama and Wisconsin couldn't stop that play either.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

So your saying that Pellum had two games of film to watch and prepare for it and he still got hammered over and over? That doesn't exactly reassure me. :lol:
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Phalanx wrote:
Hah yea, and I seem to recall them also running for 281yds and 2 touchdowns against Bama. So they JACKED the Tide as well. Face it, they WERE that good, nothing to be ashamed about there.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Ohio State's line had all year to gel from one of the shakiest into one of the best units in the nation. And they had a great RB running behind that line.

Meanwhile, our LBs were the weakness of our D, and Meyer exploited the hell out of that.

Our defense did force four turnovers which our offense failed to capitalize on... and our D was doing OK at the start, before our offense started getting swept off the field on each possession.

We got beat all-around -- including on defense -- but it's important to note that our defense didn't get much help from the other side of the ball.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:

So your saying that Pellum had two games of film to watch and prepare for it and he still got hammered over and over? That doesn't exactly reassure me. :lol:
As opposed to Bama and their month and a half to prepare?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Lightning Strikes wrote:Phil Steele's biggest fault is over reliance in numbers and returning players.

He rarely accounts for new players (how could he, really) or coaching. That second point alone is why USC won't sniff anything remotely close to #3 come January.
Just curious, how do you know he doesn't account for new players? Maybe he takes class rankings or player rankings into consideration.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Lightning Strikes wrote:Phil Steele's biggest fault is over reliance in numbers and returning players.

Just curious, how do you know he doesn't account for new players? Maybe he takes class rankings or player rankings into consideration.
I've heard him give radio interviews with Bill King. He always admits that his projections are limited by the unknown impact of new players. Not to mention that his analysis is distributed months before the season to optimize magazine sales. Basically, he's in the business of selling magazines, not making accurate projections.