Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

VA latest says he'll be here a few days after fall camp

Post by UOducksTK1 »

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3333 ... p.html.csp

Fall camp begins August 10th, so hopefully not too long after that.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: VA latest says he'll be here a few days after fall camp

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

He also said couple months ago was only 2 math tests... which then became 2 classes in Math. I am not exactly buying anything he is saying and I can't help but feel this whole thing is a major distraction for Lockie and the other qb's and players. They may say otherwise but would imagine if he ever truly gets here... they might be wondering if do not play well then will be replaced by the one and done guy.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Just pretty much confirms what most of us already figured, he might start practice with the Ducks no sooner then four days after fall camp starts. He'll have about three weeks to get in synch with the team as well as learn the system. I read somewhere yesterday, I think by an ESPN writer, they believe Lockie will be the guy, Adams just dropped the ball on his shot at starting right away. I think most of us can see our confidence level falling on Adams.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

This has been ongoing for months now. Why has he not taken care of business? I agree that there is a distraction factor here which I would think the coaches are handling, but the distraction should never have been there. I don't like this. Hope Lockie kicks ass. Not sure how Adams expects to be ready and to push Lockie out of the starting position. It's all a bit weird to me.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Where is the distraction? The kids arn't even working out yet, what difference does it make? This is what happens when there is to many months between games, every little subject is analyzed and dissected to death until everyone is foaming at the mouth over what amounts to nothing.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

QuackininBama wrote:Where is the distraction? The kids arn't even working out yet, what difference does it make? This is what happens when there is to many months between games, every little subject is analyzed and dissected to death until everyone is foaming at the mouth over what amounts to nothing.
Nick Aliotti...“I think it’s very difficult, I really do,” Aliotti said of Adams’ tight window to get up to speed with the offense and win over the locker room. “When you have a bunch of guys that have gone through winter conditioning, summer football, all the years ahead of him that they’ve already put in … I would have to think that Jeff Lockie, knowing what I know of Jeff, has ingratiated himself with this group of men to where they have to feel good about Jeff.

“That being said, if Vernon Adams comes in and he’s lights out in three weeks, that won’t be a problem. If Vernon Adams comes in and he’s not lights out and he doesn’t fit into the culture … it becomes extremely difficult. And now, potentially, there could be a big problem amongst the team.”

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3333 ... b.html.csp
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

This isn't actually news. He has been on schedule to finish his summer course. The EWU summer term ends 3 days after camp starts and has thus always been scheduled to arrive to camp 4 days late.

VA has been in Eugene since before spring ball. The guy has had the playbook since then, was given a conditioning routine for the summer (even if he can't use team facilities), and has been working with his receivers since then - just not at team facilities.

I'm so fucking tired of all the unnecessary panic by Duck fans. Granted, it's the local media's fault for handling the "story" very poorly by releasing articles like this that have a facade of news but don't actually provide any new information.

This isn't a slight on anyone here, it's just my frustration in general. Only thing you need to be concerned is that he PASSES this course. Assuming he does, he will be the starter and he will be plenty prepared and in rhythm with his receivers. Don't worry about that.
StreeterCL
One Star Recruit

Post by StreeterCL »

KoD,

Thank you.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

maxduck wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:Where is the distraction? The kids arn't even working out yet, what difference does it make? This is what happens when there is to many months between games, every little subject is analyzed and dissected to death until everyone is foaming at the mouth over what amounts to nothing.
Nick Aliotti...“I think it’s very difficult, I really do,” Aliotti said of Adams’ tight window to get up to speed with the offense and win over the locker room. “When you have a bunch of guys that have gone through winter conditioning, summer football, all the years ahead of him that they’ve already put in … I would have to think that Jeff Lockie, knowing what I know of Jeff, has ingratiated himself with this group of men to where they have to feel good about Jeff.

“That being said, if Vernon Adams comes in and he’s lights out in three weeks, that won’t be a problem. If Vernon Adams comes in and he’s not lights out and he doesn’t fit into the culture … it becomes extremely difficult. And now, potentially, there could be a big problem amongst the team.”

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3333 ... b.html.csp
Exactly my point. Nothing has changed. VA was always scheduled to arrive late, he's a transfer so we knew he was going to miss winter conditioning and summer ball, and we know its difficult to learn an offense in only 4 weeks. We knew all of this prior to him even arriving in Eugene so there is no distraction. In fact the REAL distraction is if he does come in and light it up and MM and Lockie feel slighted by not starting. So actually his success will be a distraction if anything.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I shouldn't be stepping into this again but ....... I will. I agree with a lot of what KoD said, I hate the down time in football. It seems to be filled with a bunch of bad rumors spread by wanna be journalist. The part I don't agree with is I'm tired of all the "VA will rule fans", kid can't even pass a math class required for a recreational management degree from EWU, not to be confused with a math class required for Chemical Engineering. That statement is in no way a slight on KoD, I too am sick of all the media BS

The Ducks have two senior graduate transfers, almost two with luck. One graduated from a little known school in South Bend, Indiana, is on campus working out with the team using the Ducks facilities. The other is tiring to finish a math class in a Eugene apartment so he can finish his degree from a little school in Chaney, Washington. One way is the right way to transfer and the other leaves lots of doubt in my mind and probably others too.

Some good points brought up about being a distraction, unfortunately I believe it is a distraction and will continue to be one. The QB's, Lockie, MM and the gang have to wondering what's going to happen as the season draws closer. On the other hand if VA comes in and gets the job in about three weeks, that will shake things up and no doubt be a problem with some of the team. The only way I can see it as not being a distraction is if VA would have taken care of his business and been able to work out with the team during summer conditioning, it would have given time for the team to settle into things.

Absolutely no panic from me, I feel confident Lockie is able to get the job done with all the weapons he has, just disappointment and concern about VA mental ability.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

Alan wrote:I shouldn't be stepping into this again but ....... I will. I agree with a lot of what KoD said, I hate the down time in football. It seems to be filled with a bunch of bad rumors spread by wanna be journalist. The part I don't agree with is I'm tired of all the "VA will rule fans", kid can't even pass a math class required for a recreational management degree from EWU, not to be confused with a math class required for Chemical Engineering. That statement is in no way a slight on KoD, I too am sick of all the media BS

The Ducks have two senior graduate transfers, almost two with luck. One graduated from a little known school in South Bend, Indiana, is on campus working out with the team using the Ducks facilities. The other is tiring to finish a math class in a Eugene apartment so he can finish his degree from a little school in Chaney, Washington. One way is the right way to transfer and the other leaves lots of doubt in my mind and probably others too.

Some good points brought up about being a distraction, unfortunately I believe it is a distraction and will continue to be one. The QB's, Lockie, MM and the gang have to wondering what's going to happen as the season draws closer. On the other hand if VA comes in and gets the job in about three weeks, that will shake things up and no doubt be a problem with some of the team. The only way I can see it as not being a distraction is if VA would have taken care of his business and been able to work out with the team during summer conditioning, it would have given time for the team to settle into things.

Absolutely no panic from me, I feel confident Lockie is able to get the job done with all the weapons he has, just disappointment and concern about VA mental ability.
I think a lot of people are judging VA's mental capacity from very far away. They don't know the kid, don't know the circumstances in which he has had trouble with math, and don't know what his make-up truly is. I've heard nothing but great things from his time at EWU and from my sources. I have plenty of confidence in him.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

What is really fascinating and maybe a bit unusual about this topic is there is not very much middle ground in people's opinions. Most are sure it's going to go one way for sure, they just disagree on which way. One thing is 100% certain, we will all know how the QB situation shakes out before the Ducks take the field against EW, I for one am ready to get into some real football and be done with all the what ifs.

KoD, my previous comment was not meant in any way as a slight against you or your sources. I have a lot of respect for your input and you are one of the truly reliable sources I have found in my short time here. I know there are other reliable sources here as well, I'm new enough I'm still getting a feel for things.

Great, sane and interesting conversation on VA all, thanks!

Alan
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

Alan wrote:What is really fascinating and maybe a bit unusual about this topic is there is not very much middle ground in people's opinions. Most are sure it's going to go one way for sure, they just disagree on which way. One thing is 100% certain, we will all know how the QB situation shakes out before the Ducks take the field against EW, I for one am ready to get into some real football and be done with all the what ifs.

KoD, my previous comment was not meant in any way as a slight against you or your sources. I have a lot of respect for your input and you are one of the truly reliable sources I have found in my short time here. I know there are other reliable sources here as well, I'm new enough I'm still getting a feel for things.

Great, sane and interesting conversation on VA all, thanks!

Alan
Don't ever apologize or worry about disagreeing with me. This is an open forum. My opinion is no more important than your's.

I'm just talking about in general. A lot of people are quick to judge VA's mental make-up based on very vague reports about finishing a math class. I think we're all very far away from the situation and should probably hold our judgement on the kid.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

KingofDucks wrote:This isn't actually news. He has been on schedule to finish his summer course. The EWU summer term ends 3 days after camp starts and has thus always been scheduled to arrive to camp 4 days late.

VA has been in Eugene since before spring ball. The guy has had the playbook since then, was given a conditioning routine for the summer (even if he can't use team facilities), and has been working with his receivers since then - just not at team facilities.

I'm so fucking tired of all the unnecessary panic by Duck fans. Granted, it's the local media's fault for handling the "story" very poorly by releasing articles like this that have a facade of news but don't actually provide any new information.

This isn't a slight on anyone here, it's just my frustration in general. Only thing you need to be concerned is that he PASSES this course. Assuming he does, he will be the starter and he will be plenty prepared and in rhythm with his receivers. Don't worry about that.
It's been like that for decades in the area. Look at how the whole NCAA investigation was handled. Media and even some local "fans" are more interested in creating news than reporting it and the result is a lot of false speculation and baseless rumors. Look at the piece this week that the Oregonian put out on Altman, totally uncalled for.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

KOD or anyone else; do you know if he is allowed to use the Jaqua center or any tutors or any on campus resources or the like?