Eastern Washington @ Oregon (Sept 5th, 5pm Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: Eastern Washington @ Oregon (Sept 5th, 5pm Pac-12 Net)

Post by FlDuckFan »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I'm pretty comfortable with who we have at LB. I think we'll be better than we have the last two seasons.
LB play is why we lost to Ohio State last year. Not that hard to stop counter trey, I have coached 11 yr old's to stop it. It's all on the LB's being physical and taking out the extra blocker.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Linebacker not be a factor this year? Barring any injuries... Based on what evaluation?
Based on the feeling of people that actually know what is going on behind the scenes. Barring a bunch of injuries, the front 7 (including the linebackers) is not likely to be a concern on the team this season. It is a hard concept for most fans to wrap their heads around, but in college football it happens all the time. What is a perceived weakness on a team one season can become a non-weakness, or even a strength, the following season. French, Ragin, Mattingly and Swain will all be dramatically improved this season after the experience they gained last season and simply having an extra year under their belt in the program. The light has come on for French and he is practicing at a different level. Ragin and Mattingly were both nursing injuries last season, in addition to it being their first years seeing playing time in the Oregon system. Swain was a true freshman. He is a great talent that has bulked up since last season and looks ready to be a much bigger contributor in the rotation. Joe Walker and Tyson Coleman are poised for good senior seasons. Torrodney Prevot is in his 3rd season in the program and is practicing at a higher level.

In addition to players simply improving, they will also be playing under a defensive coordinator that is not a rookie. Unless a person focuses solely on the championship game (Ohio State steamrolled every opponent they faced down the stretch of last season, including Alabama), it was clear the Oregon defense improved as the season went along, with Pellum and the boys getting on the same page. That learning curve is behind them, as evidenced by the defense being far ahead at this point compared to recent years.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

FlDuckFan wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I'm pretty comfortable with who we have at LB. I think we'll be better than we have the last two seasons.
LB play is why we lost to Ohio State last year. Not that hard to stop counter trey, I have coached 11 yr old's to stop it. It's all on the LB's being physical and taking out the extra blocker.
Malone isn't on our team anymore, and I think guys like Walker are going to really blow it up this year. Plus, I like Swain and Mattingly off the bench. Those are both two bigger/physical guys.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

gogreen55 wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:Linebacker not be a factor this year? Barring any injuries... Based on what evaluation?
Based on the feeling of people that actually know what is going on behind the scenes. Barring a bunch of injuries, the front 7 (including the linebackers) is not likely to be a concern on the team this season. It is a hard concept for most fans to wrap their heads around, but in college football it happens all the time. What is a perceived weakness on a team one season can become a non-weakness, or even a strength, the following season. French, Ragin, Mattingly and Swain will all be dramatically improved this season after the experience they gained last season and simply having an extra year under their belt in the program. The light has come on for French and he is practicing at a different level. Ragin and Mattingly were both nursing injuries last season, in addition to it being their first years seeing playing time in the Oregon system. Swain was a true freshman. He is a great talent that has bulked up since last season and looks ready to be a much bigger contributor in the rotation. Joe Walker and Tyson Coleman are poised for good senior seasons. Torrodney Prevot is in his 3rd season in the program and is practicing at a higher level.

In addition to players simply improving, they will also be playing under a defensive coordinator that is not a rookie. Unless a person focuses solely on the championship game (Ohio State steamrolled every opponent they faced down the stretch of last season, including Alabama), it was clear the Oregon defense improved as the season went along, with Pellum and the boys getting on the same page. That learning curve is behind them, as evidenced by the defense being far ahead at this point compared to recent years.
This.

blazer prophet
One Star Recruit

Post by blazer prophet »

Sadly, and team the last two seasons that bothered to run the middle ate us up. Every loss was a result of that as well as close games. I'm not convinced it's the players as mush as the defensive scheme and coaching. We have to figure a way to defend that or we'll get abused.

But being this is a scrimmage game prior to MSU, my big thing is lack of injuries and finding some rhythm for our QB- whoever it may be.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

There's no reason by mid-season this shouldn't be a top 15 defense.

IF we see more Pillows Pellum this year he HAS to be gone.
UofDuck
Senior

Eastern Washington @ Oregon (Sept 5th, 5pm Pac-12 Net)

Post by UofDuck »

blazer prophet wrote:Sadly, and team the last two seasons that bothered to run the middle ate us up. Every loss was a result of that as well as close games. I'm not convinced it's the players as mush as the defensive scheme and coaching. We have to figure a way to defend that or we'll get abused.

But being this is a scrimmage game prior to MSU, my big thing is lack of injuries and finding some rhythm for our QB- whoever it may be.
I'd add very little QB pressure as a major contributor. Oddly enough, rushing only 3 should have allowed better run D, but it didn't seem to.

But "Pillows" was too funny, Grant.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Had to really laugh and shake my head after reading EWU's fan board, particularly the threads after VA got named the starter. Many are thinking they are to going to score at will against Oregon and that Oregon won't be able to move the ball since their DC will know how to gameplan against VA. Plus, there are a couple that seem to want their D to hit VA hard enough to take him out of the game. They just seem so salty and full of bravado (guess that's what happens when many are also UW fans) that should make a win against them feel pretty good.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

GrantDuck wrote:There's no reason by mid-season this shouldn't be a top 15 defense.

IF we see more Pillows Pellum this year he HAS to be gone.
Too true. I think that the rush and the scheme is getting slightly modified though based upon some of the subtle hints. We never had the DL talent to adequately transition to a pressure 4 down DL approach. Now that we have the horses it sounds as if they'll be implementing some 4--3 looks. I think this could get interesting..... In fairness, our "D" just appeared gassed from being on the field so much in the Natty. Of course, our LB's looked awful. I'm still not a Hardrick fan and want to see more Mattingly. The DB's actually have me pretty excited. Arrion and Seisay add so much more size to the positions. Hope that all that practice against our world class WR group makes them elevate their game. This could get interesting......
GoEagles
High School Drop Out

Post by GoEagles »

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to register, say hi, and wish you a great season (excepting the first game, of course, in which I would like your team to unthinkably self-destruct). Not all EWU fans hate Oregon - in fact, lots of us love the Ducks and root for you every year, with the exception of when you're playing us. It hurt to lose VA, but there's no place I'd have rather seen him go - although it sucks to have to play against him. If you haven't figured it out yet, he's the real deal. Hoping you choke in that first game and then go on to win a championship.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

greenyellow wrote:Had to really laugh and shake my head after reading EWU's fan board, particularly the threads after VA got named the starter. Many are thinking they are to going to score at will against Oregon and that Oregon won't be able to move the ball since their DC will know how to gameplan against VA. Plus, there are a couple that seem to want their D to hit VA hard enough to take him out of the game. They just seem so salty and full of bravado (guess that's what happens when many are also UW fans) that should make a win against them feel pretty good.
So do we get to count a win against EWU as part of our win streak against UW? :)
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Looking at the EWU depth chart for the Oregon game, I'm not seeing many reasons for them to be optimistic on defense. Size isn't everything, but they are definitely an overall smallish defense by Pac-12 standards (with the exception of a couple nose tackles that go 300+ pounds). They also aren't a real veteran group, with only one senior listed in the starting lineup. They have a couple freshmen and a sophomore starting in the secondary. If the Ducks don't shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and silly penalties, it should be a good day for the Oregon offense.

The real question is how the Oregon defense will do. EWU has a good sized offensive line (their starting 5 is actually heavier than the Oregon starting OL on average) and all 5 of their starting offensive linemen are seniors, combined with a senior tight end. We know they have really good receivers. I don't know how good their running backs are, but I am sure they are plenty capable. If their QB performs adequately, the Oregon defense will need to be on top of their game. I don't think people should panic if EWU moves the ball and puts up some points since their offense is probably better than a couple (if not more) of the teams in the Pac-12.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GoEagles wrote:Hey Folks,

Just wanted to register, say hi, and wish you a great season (excepting the first game, of course, in which I would like your team to unthinkably self-destruct). Not all EWU fans hate Oregon - in fact, lots of us love the Ducks and root for you every year, with the exception of when you're playing us. It hurt to lose VA, but there's no place I'd have rather seen him go - although it sucks to have to play against him. If you haven't figured it out yet, he's the real deal. Hoping you choke in that first game and then go on to win a championship.
Thanks for joining, looking forward to the matchup against you guys.

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:Looking at the EWU depth chart for the Oregon game, I'm not seeing many reasons for them to be optimistic on defense. Size isn't everything, but they are definitely an overall smallish defense by Pac-12 standards (with the exception of a couple nose tackles that go 300+ pounds). They also aren't a real veteran group, with only one senior listed in the starting lineup. They have a couple freshmen and a sophomore starting in the secondary. If the Ducks don't shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and silly penalties, it should be a good day for the Oregon offense.

The real question is how the Oregon defense will do. EWU has a good sized offensive line (their starting 5 is actually heavier than the Oregon starting OL on average) and all 5 of their starting offensive linemen are seniors, combined with a senior tight end. We know they have really good receivers. I don't know how good their running backs are, but I am sure they are plenty capable. If their QB performs adequately, the Oregon defense will need to be on top of their game. I don't think people should panic if EWU moves the ball and puts up some points since their offense is probably better than a couple (if not more) of the teams in the Pac-12.
Excellent analysis.
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

Does anyone know the Vegas line for this game? My resource (http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... as/?s=2803) still doesn't have anything up.