QB "Competition"

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck541
Four Star Recruit

QB "Competition"

Post by duck541 »

Been awhile since I posted, moved cities and not as close to my connections as I was last season. But anyways, back in town for the week and spoke to one who tells me that Adams is head and shoulders above Lockie and there really isn't much competition at all. Said it's so clear that some in the program are uncomfortable even calling it a battle anymore.
Phalanx
Senior

Re: QB

Post by Phalanx »

Given what we saw from Lockie in the Spring, this is great news - it means that Adams is as talented as many have been saying. Good reason for optimism for the coming season. I wonder how Mahalek and Jonson are figuring into the mix...
bigbenp
Three Star Recruit

Re: QB "Competition"

Post by bigbenp »

I have a feeling, regardless of JL's ability, he's going to provide great support and guidance to VA. I'm excited for the team!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Yeah, from the sound of things it seems like Adams is already doing as well or better than Lockie. I'm more interested in next year's competition TBH. lol
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

So is Lockis starting against EWU no matter what though? Or will Helf take take that back and start VA?
Spokaneduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Spokaneduck »

I have heard the same from some EWU coaches. From what they have told me they have some open communication with a few folks inside the Oregon program. They have all told me that VA talent wise is on another level than Lockie. The only way I see VA not starting is if he can't get the playbook down in time for EWU. His skill set is pretty amazing and he is really fun to watch. Of course knowledge of the system, leadership qualities and fitting into what we are trying to do offensively will play a role in determining who starts. If VA doesn't start it certainly won't be because he isn't the most talented qb.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

That's encouraging. Thanks for sharing.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Good to hear from you, been a while. Thanks for dropping in and giving us some insight
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yeah pretty much heard the same, but yes thanks for sharing. VA has hit the ground running and he looks like the real deal. His touch on deep passes is something we haven't had here in a very long time.

247 thought was reporting Lockie has looked dang impressive too, specifically moreso since VA got on campus. So at the very least, it sounds like adding VA has been multi-beneficial to the Ducks.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:So is Lockis starting against EWU no matter what though? Or will Helf take take that back and start VA?
If VA has been impressive, then why would the coaches even bother starting Lockie the first week? Seemingly you would want VA to get as many meaningful snaps as possible in preparation for MSU and starting Lockie just detracts from that. I'm not doubting that VA is ahead, just the notion that Lockie would get any snaps during week one if we aren't up several TD's.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I do hope that Locke gets to run the playbook this year in mop up time. I'm fine with the tempo being slower handing to 7th string lane rosenberry 3x doesn't help him gain experience.
Jaw327
One Star Recruit

Post by Jaw327 »

Spokaneduck wrote:I have heard the same from some EWU coaches. From what they have told me they have some open communication with a few folks inside the Oregon program. They have all told me that VA talent wise is on another level than Lockie. The only way I see VA not starting is if he can't get the playbook down in time for EWU. His skill set is pretty amazing and he is really fun to watch. Of course knowledge of the system, leadership qualities and fitting into what we are trying to do offensively will play a role in determining who starts. If VA doesn't start it certainly won't be because he isn't the most talented qb.
Why would EWU Coaches be talking to anyone inside of Oregon. They play each other week one. That seems highly unlikely.
And not sure from everything I've been hearing that VA is head and shoulders above Lockie. He certainly didn't jump in to too deep water as he was right there competing within a day or two but it doesn't sound like it's a cut and try case of him being way better.

Although Rob Mosley did say he got first crack with the first team offense on a few drills at today's practice. But he also said he threw three straight incompletions.
Spokaneduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Spokaneduck »

Jaw327 wrote:
Spokaneduck wrote:I have heard the same from some EWU coaches. From what they have told me they have some open communication with a few folks inside the Oregon program. They have all told me that VA talent wise is on another level than Lockie. The only way I see VA not starting is if he can't get the playbook down in time for EWU. His skill set is pretty amazing and he is really fun to watch. Of course knowledge of the system, leadership qualities and fitting into what we are trying to do offensively will play a role in determining who starts. If VA doesn't start it certainly won't be because he isn't the most talented qb.
Why would EWU Coaches be talking to anyone inside of Oregon. They play each other week one. That seems highly unlikely.
And not sure from everything I've been hearing that VA is head and shoulders above Lockie. He certainly didn't jump in to too deep water as he was right there competing within a day or two but it doesn't sound like it's a cut and try case of him being way better.

Although Rob Mosley did say he got first crack with the first team offense on a few drills at today's practice. But he also said he threw three straight incompletions.
Coaching circles are pretty tight. They aren't sharing game plans with each other. Every year you hear about coaches visiting other team's practices. The EWU coaches I see know some of the U of O coaches pretty well. When I asked them if they have heard anything regarding VA's progress at Oregon they all have said the same thing. Talent wise there is no question who has more ability. It is the other stuff that I mentioned in the post that could also factor into who ultimately starts. Of course Oregon won't share everything with EWU, especially with the game coming up. I just passed along what I have heard.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Bassett was also the RB with the "1".
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Jaw327 wrote:

Oh my gawd!!! The sky is falling!!!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine