QB "Competition"

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Re: QB

Post by srsmiley007 »

duck541 wrote:Been awhile since I posted, moved cities and not as close to my connections as I was last season. But anyways, back in town for the week and spoke to one who tells me that Adams is head and shoulders above Lockie and there really isn't much competition at all. Said it's so clear that some in the program are uncomfortable even calling it a battle anymore.
KOD, (or Duck541) can you comment further on this?

While I like Lockie short term, is this for real? All of the hype in Moseley's reports appear to tout Lockie more than Adams along with Adams quotes on the playbook and being way behind JL. With the exception of this tidbit above from 541, the comments and quotes on GODUCKs.com and other video seem to be playing up Lockie and for that matter, Taylor more so than Adams. To me, that spells doom as it relates to him starting.

That said, this is the single biggest issue for us. I think everyone is going to be seriously surprised with our growth everywhere else. I believe the supporting cast on both defense and offense is better than last year and after watching VA's film, think that he's clearly a better talent than JL. Everyone is dismissing us at 2-3 losses and I expect the OL, DL, LB's, WR's, RB's to all be better than last year. So before I lose my mind and start thinking "Natty" I want to temper my expectations if JL is going to be the QB.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

srsmiley007 wrote:
duck541 wrote:Been awhile since I posted, moved cities and not as close to my connections as I was last season. But anyways, back in town for the week and spoke to one who tells me that Adams is head and shoulders above Lockie and there really isn't much competition at all. Said it's so clear that some in the program are uncomfortable even calling it a battle anymore.
KOD, (or Duck541) can you comment further on this?

While I like Lockie short term, is this for real? All of the hype in Moseley's reports appear to tout Lockie more than Adams along with Adams quotes on the playbook and being way behind JL. With the exception of this tidbit above from 541, the comments and quotes on GODUCKs.com and other video seem to be playing up Lockie and for that matter, Taylor more so than Adams. To me, that spells doom as it relates to him starting.

That said, this is the single biggest issue for us. I think everyone is going to be seriously surprised with our growth everywhere else. I believe the supporting cast on both defense and offense is better than last year and after watching VA's film, think that he's clearly a better talent than JL. Everyone is dismissing us at 2-3 losses and I expect the OL, DL, LB's, WR's, RB's to all be better than last year. So before I lose my mind and start thinking "Natty" I want to temper my expectations if JL is going to be the QB.
VA has 37 career starts and has thrown for 10,400yrds and 110 touchdowns. Lockie has zero career starts and has seen the field twice. Seems fairly obvious that VA is going to start regardless of the playbook. Just my opinion though.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

All of the hype in Moseley's reports appear to tout Lockie more than Adams along with Adams quotes on the playbook and being way behind JL.
Don't forget who Rob works for now.

He's no longer bound by duty to give us the unfiltered truth. He now works for a highly secretive athletic department that recently called the cops on a Pac-12 Network reporter for having too good a view of the practice field.

Obviously, the coaching staff would prefer to operate in a vacuum and keep everyone guessing about the QB situation until the last possible moment. So when you see Rob's notes portray them as neck-and-neck (which is my take on it), you also have to take that with a grain of salt. If one of them is really separating from the other, we're not going to read about it in Rob's practice notes. Otherwise, the coaches would come right out and tell us.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:
All of the hype in Moseley's reports appear to tout Lockie more than Adams along with Adams quotes on the playbook and being way behind JL.

He's no longer bound by duty to give us the unfiltered truth. He now works for a highly secretive athletic department that recently called the cops on a Pac-12 Network reporter for having too good a view of the practice field.

Obviously, the coaching staff would prefer to operate in a vacuum and keep everyone guessing about the QB situation until the last possible moment. So when you see Rob's notes portray them as neck-and-neck (which is my take on it), you also have to take that with a grain of salt. If one of them is really separating from the other, we're not going to read about it in Rob's practice notes. Otherwise, the coaches would come right out and tell us.
This.

He probably has guidelines of what he can and can not say. Also, we probably don't want to tip our hand too soon.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:

Exactly! Back in 2012 it sounded like Mariota and BB were head to head, but anyone who watched the ducks that entire season knew it was never close.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

A couple of insiders at 247 are saying that it's not close either. VA is the superior player.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

duck541 has great sources. Probably better than mine. I trust what he posts.

And yes, I'm hearing the same thing about VA.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Funny some Kal guy is trying to claim, that he's hearing from our coaches (he's an ex Kal coach) that they like Vern, but the players like Lockie. He seems to think it's going to cause problems in the locker room.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Aren't Moseley's practice reports the only thing refuting the idea VA is way ahead? It seems like the only ones who think Lockie is gonna win the job are the people who either don't actually know anything or, like Moseley, are purposely non-revealing.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

buckmarkduck wrote:Funny some Kal guy is trying to claim, that he's hearing from our coaches (he's an ex Kal coach) that they like Vern, but the players like Lockie. He seems to think it's going to cause problems in the locker room.
I won't get too deep into it, but that is certainly not the case. Quite the opposite in regards to Lockie.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I don't know what it is but this battle just seems like the DT/Costa battle before the 2010 season. Everyone thought the experienced Lockie/Costa would win out over the inexperienced VA/DT but it's ending up that experience isn't the only thing the coaches are looking for in a starting QB.
lmduck

Re: QB "Competition"

Post by lmduck »

Can someone clarify what is meant buy an ex Kal coach? Is Kal his name???? That was a very confusing post,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

Thanks fella's. I feel much better now...whew....

I guess the good news is that Lockie may appear to be a competent backup so we can rush the QB a touch more. This should work out well.

We take down MSU and that will change everything. I wonder how the loss of Narduzzi will factor into that game. Should be a good season...
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lmduck wrote:Can someone clarify what is meant buy an ex Kal coach? Is Kal his name???? That was a very confusing post,

It's cal, it's similar to duck fans calling UW, doogs.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:Can someone clarify what is meant buy an ex Kal coach? Is Kal his name???? That was a very confusing post,

It's cal, it's similar to duck fans calling UW, doogs.
So if I am following things here an ex-CAL coach has insights as to what Helf and Frost are thinking? Not saying it's not possible that there are some who DO have some insights but an ex-CAL coach seems like a major stretch. Akili Smith coached at Cal with Tedford, does that mean it's him?????

Bottom line here is there is so much nonsense around this whole topic that it is beyond humorous at this point.