QB "Competition"

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: QB

Post by woundedknees »

lmduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:Can someone clarify what is meant buy an ex Kal coach? Is Kal his name???? That was a very confusing post,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's cal, it's similar to duck fans calling UW, doogs.
So if I am following things here an ex-CAL coach has insights as to what Helf and Frost are thinking? Not saying it's not possible that there are some who DO have some insights but an ex-CAL coach seems like a major stretch. Akili Smith coached at Cal with Tedford, does that mean it's him?????

Bottom line here is there is so much nonsense around this whole topic that it is beyond humorous at this point.
My money is on Tosh... Bagmen got connection! :-)
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

just saw it on bottom of sportscenter that showed VA got named starter
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Bad day for Alan. Altman lands a top 50 recruit and Adams is named as the starter. haha jk just giving you a hard time, man.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phenom wrote:Bad day for Alan. Altman lands a top 50 recruit and Adams is named as the starter. haha jk just giving you a hard time, man.

Like I said, I have 100% trust in Helfs and Frost's call, Adams has my support. I just wish he was able to get his priorities in line and get here at the beginning of summer work outs.

KoD, you implied Lockie is not as liked in the locker room and Adams....... Did I miss understand?
damascusduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by damascusduck »

Not KOD, but I think he was referring to ability. Not that Lockie isn't liked.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

No, I think Adams already built good/great relationships on and off the field with receivers and other members of the offense.

Lockie is a great guy, BTW. I've had him in class before and he is smart, participates, and likable.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

That is correct. Lockie is not liked by many in the locker room. I won't get into why. I don't want to create some story that will end up on 247 and then spread from there. He's not a bad guy, but he does some things that rub other players the wrong way. Nothing on his character as a human being.

Everyone seems to love Adams. He came in humble and worked hard.
soduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by soduck »

Again thanks for the insider info. It is always appreciated. And I understand this a touchy subject. It is nice to know that the team supports Adams. He has lots of work to do to help us win at MSU. And now he can take the lion share of the first team snaps and that will help him get better faster. Moseley's practice reports will be interesting next week.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

VA seems like a pretty fun guy out on the field based on this Vine
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

“I know it was a hard decision to make, Jeff (Lockie) had a great camp and did everything right. I know it was a tough decision, but the coaches had to make the best one for the team.” Addison said.

Addison with wisdom and a great response to the situation.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

One thing that seems to have separated Adams from Lockie in the race to be the starting quarterback is his ability to keep a play alive with his legs. “Vernon likes to use his legs a lot...Lockie can also be elusive in the pocket, but they are just two different types of quarterbacks,” Freeman added.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Not going to be PC here...Lockie is pretty mediocre. Spring games mean nothing. I said a week or two ago that Adams would need to really screw up to not win the starting job. Talent wise, Lockie is a very limited player. He makes good decisions, but has average mobility and below average arm strength. Likely wouldn't start on any team in the Pac 12.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

I love all of these "Lockie is average" proclamations that are made off of absolutely no actual rationale other than a small sample size of him handing the ball off in garbage time and two snaps against Ohio State. I was in the pro Adams group but that had more to do with the fact that I think VA can be a special QB with the talent Oregon has surrounding him whereas Lockie could be a Darron Thomas type of guy who took what the defense gave him but wasn't necessarily the key to the offense. If VA hadn't qualified, Oregon was still a 9-10 win team that would compete and possibly win the PAC-12 title whereas I think VA puts Oregon in the frontrunner seat in the PAC-12 and could make a push for another playoff berth.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Locke looked quite overwhelmed and lost yards, had penalties and a fumble in his few limited snaps against Texas and Ohio St.

Very small sample size to go off but didn't seem like he was the 'ice in his veins' type.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Re: QB "Competition"

Post by duckduckgoose »

uostudent wrote:Not going to be PC here...Lockie is pretty mediocre. Spring games mean nothing. I said a week or two ago that Adams would need to really screw up to not win the starting job. Talent wise, Lockie is a very limited player. He makes good decisions, but has average mobility and below average arm strength. Likely wouldn't start on any team in the Pac 12.
If Lockie is so mediocre than the Ducks future is pretty grim in the coming years. Since none of the current QBs seem to be able to displace him at the top of the depth chart. Hopefully VA can stay healthy for a whole season since we don't have a QB on the roster that can start on any team in the Pac12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk