QB "Competition"

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: QB

Post by Duck24 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Locke looked quite overwhelmed and lost yards, had penalties and a fumble in his few limited snaps against Texas and Ohio St.

Very small sample size to go off but didn't seem like he was the 'ice in his veins' type.
Why is that a surprise to you? You think he is going to step into a high pressure situation, with guys he doesn't practice with and have be Mariota? It is a new snap count/cadence for the OL, a change in timing for the skill players, ball comes out different with a new QB etc. It isn't going to be a seamless transition in that type of situation. Given an entire spring and fall with those guys, I think you'd get a performance much closer to the spring game than his five meaningful game snaps.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Locke looked quite overwhelmed and lost yards, had penalties and a fumble in his few limited snaps against Texas and Ohio St.

Very small sample size to go off but didn't seem like he was the 'ice in his veins' type.
Why is that a surprise to you? You think he is going to step into a high pressure situation, with guys he doesn't practice with and have be Mariota? It is a new snap count/cadence for the OL, a change in timing for the skill players, ball comes out different with a new QB etc. It isn't going to be a seamless transition in that type of situation. Given an entire spring and fall with those guys, I think you'd get a performance much closer to the spring game than his five meaningful game snaps.
I agree completely 24, on top of that when Lockie was in during the mop up time he wasn't surrounded by the 1's he had 2's, 3's, 4's and walk ons in with him. While playing against ones and twos much of the time. If Adams didn't come to Oregon and beat him out Lockie would be starting for not only a Pac 12 school but most likely the best team in the Pac 12....... He's a Pac12 QB and he's the next man up if Adams goes down or falters.

Adams won the job, Lockie is his backup, it may be a good time to stop slamming Lockie......... Although just think of the fun this board will have next season with a new QB compitition! :lol:
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

I think Lockie would do just fine, but I can't want to see VA at QB. He just looks like a better QB overall and has tons of experience. Maybe VA goes to Michigan State and throws 3 picks in the first half and Lockie saves the day. lol
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

I think Lockie will be fine when he plays this season and if he ends up the starter next season, the upside of VA is so much greater though and its not as if he is a freshman. I see Lockie as more of a game manager than a play maker and the guys behind him are so young and or have faced injuries so I am not surprised or worried about the future for the Ducks at QB.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

Ya, Lockie is not going to start next season either. That kid from Cali is legit! He was the only QB that could movie the ball effectively against #1 Gorman(High Shcool) last year. Even Alie sees the field before he does.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

I agree completely 24, on top of that when Lockie was in during the mop up time he wasn't surrounded by the 1's he had 2's, 3's, 4's and walk ons in with him. While playing against ones and twos much of the time. If Adams didn't come to Oregon and beat him out Lockie would be starting for not only a Pac 12 school but most likely the best team in the Pac 12....... He's a Pac12 QB and he's the next man up if Adams goes down or falters.

Adams won the job, Lockie is his backup, it may be a good time to stop slamming Lockie......... Although just think of the fun this board will have next season with a new QB compitition! :lol:
Just watched 3 qtrs. of Colorado vs Hawaii. LOCKIE would start for Colorado, probably OSU & WSU. We would win 9-10 games with him. I don't think we would get back to NC with him. Not sure we will get there with VA, but worth the gamble. Are we so spoiled that we slam a kid because he might not be quite as good as the previous superstar. Lockie is still a DUCK. That's good enough for me.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Lockie has barely played any meaningful snaps and when he did he looked completely overwhelmed. You may not think it's fair to judge him off of those few snaps but it's certainly more valid than claiming he could start for most of the Pac-12 North and win 10 games. That isn't based on anything other than wishful thinking.

IMO it's not a valid excuse anyways, plenty of guys come in cold off the bench and play just fine. Darron Thomas came in two games into his freshman year against BSU and lit it up. Lockie in his 3rd year in the program could barely handle a snap ha. I don't think anyone is bashing him, simply being critical of his game. Which frankly, isn't very good based on what we've seen.

I really don't understand fans who become enamored with the backup that's never even played. The entire off-season the media generated all this hype around Lockie that was pretty much baseless. Things like "experience" and "leadership" that were simply assumed and not based in reality. I'm sure he's a good dude but he probably doesn't have any business starting for an elite football team and that's alright. It's not like they cut him from the team.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Guys like Lockie are still very valuable. If VA goes down, then Lockie won't be a total scrub out there... he should be good enough to move the offense and hopefully win a game or two.

Meanwhile, in practice, he's like another coach on the field.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
t-tyronus
One Star Recruit

Post by t-tyronus »

Moseley in today's "Mac n Mose" video: halfway through the first scrimmage, "this isn't a competition at all."