Depth Chart released

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Depth Chart released

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon has released the Week 1 depth chart and it shows that Adams will be the starting QB. Let the overanalysis begin.

Also check out reactions from coaches/players:
http://ducksattack.com/oregon-announces-depth-chart/
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Re: Depth Chart released

Post by KingofDucks »

Points of interest and my thoughts:

RB: Benoit listed as the #2
I think we all got a sense that he had a great offseason. But I think he and TBJ are co-#2's. They will both spell Freeman, but the down and distance will dictate who plays.

WR: Stanford ahead of Addison. Marshall spread out wide.
I think Addison will be a starter after a few games back. He needs to get acclimated. This isn't a surprise. We also rotate so many receivers, it won't matter. Should be interesting to see if Lovette or Ofodile will be redshirted and what will happen when Allen and Carrington are back. Curious to see Marshall at the FL position, rather than in the slot.

DE: Canton behind Buckner.
I'm curious if Canton will switch to the other end and take over Talia's starting spot at some point.

NG: Maloata over Manu and Baker
I'm curious if Manu and/or Baker will redshirt or play.

Also of note, our defense rotates so much that everyone in the 2-deep will get plenty of playing time.
Last edited by KingofDucks on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Most of it was what I expected. I'm more interested in seeing who redshirts and who doesn't.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

Phenom wrote:Most of it was what I expected. I'm more interested in seeing who redshirts and who doesn't.
Ditto. I'm more interested in the 3-deep than the 2-deep.
duckfbfan15
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckfbfan15 »

I am shocked that Mattingly isn't in the 2 deep. I wonder if we will redshirt Taj. Looks like we will be playing 8 receivers once Carrington and Devon Allen Return.

GO HARD, GO OREGON, GO DUCKS!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The depth at WR is just crazy, considering Carrington and Allen are not on the 2-deep. Oregon has 8 or 9 WRs who all could start and there wouldn't be any real drop-off in talent.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Have to think it will disappoint many that Mattingly isn't on the listed two-deep.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Pretty incredible that Griffin is already the #2 CB after only a week at that position. I would still like to see Nelson get some snaps on that side of the ball.
damascusduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by damascusduck »

KingofDucks wrote:Points of interest and my thoughts:

RB: Benoit listed as the #2
I think we all got a sense that he had a great offseason. But I think he and TBJ are co-#2's. They will both spell Freeman, but the down and distance will dictate who plays.

WR: Stanford ahead of Addison. Marshall spread out wide.
I think Addison will be a starter after a few games back. He needs to get acclimated. This isn't a surprise. We also rotate so many receivers, it won't matter. Should be interesting to see if Lovette or Ofodile will be redshirted and what will happen when Allen and Carrington are back. Curious to see Marshall at the FL position, rather than in the slot.

DE: Canton behind Buckner.
I'm curious if Canton will switch to the other end and take over Talia's starting spot at some point.

NG: Maloata over Manu and Baker
I'm curious if Manu and/or Baker will redshirt or play.

Also of note, our defense rotates so much that everyone in the 2-deep will get plenty of playing time.
Henry Mondeaux may have something to say about that since he is also listed as the starter at the other DE.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Lots of questions about the current two deep, Addison is my biggest, but KoD explained it well. We'll see how things shake out in a few weeks. Also, after Mundt's game against Tennessee I was reall looking forward to seeing him be a star. I guess he still hasn't got that blocking thing down.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Biggest surprises/things of note:
-Merritt beats out Ofodile and a couple others for that #2 WR spot. No RS for him for sure now.
​-No Malik Lovette.
-Bralon Addison not starting. Still, #4 WR, will play a ton, surely. May still be the starting PR.
-No Carrington or D. Allen. I think they still haven't heard re: Carrington. I still think that situation is the NCAA being absolutely ridiculous. Allen still coming off that ACL, not a big surprise there.
-That DE position is loaded. Have to hope Balducci and Maloata step up. If so, will be a top 10 DL nationally. Something I never thought I'd say about Oregon.
-A little disappointed not to see Taj Griffin on the RB chart. I think he's more talented than our #2 or #3 guys with Tyner out. Hopefully by midseason.
-Not sure if Mattingly is hurt at LB, but odd not to see him after hype last season. He had a rough NC game with regards to assignment football, so either it's that or he's injured.
-Excited to see Khalil Oliver and some of the other young DB's. Last time we were this young we were so worried in the secondary we ended up with Thurmond and Byrd, so I'm hoping coach Neal will work his magic. The first 2 games will both be against good passing teams. Last year Ifo/Troy Hill dominated against Sparty which sparked the 2nd half comeback along with Armstead.
-Nervous about Robinson at starting safety and Hardrick at ILB.
-Excited to see more of Jimmy Swain at ILB. Reminded me of Michael Clay in the Spring Game as a relatively smaller guy that can really tackle at that spot.
-Crazy to see Ty Griffin literally transfer from QB to DB mid camp and still break the 2 deep.

Actually even a little bit surprised at VA being named the outright starter.

Let the 1 year VA project begin!
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Pretty incredible that Griffin is already the #2 CB after only a week at that position. I would still like to see Nelson get some snaps on that side of the ball.
Yeah, saw that; good for Ty. But I'm a little concerned that it's also partly a statement about just how green we are (so to speak) at that position.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

GrantDuck wrote:-Nervous about Robinson at starting safety...
Why?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

gogreen55 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:-Nervous about Robinson at starting safety...
Why?
Yeah, I don't get this at all.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GrantDuck wrote:-Excited to see more of Jimmy Swain at ILB. Reminded me of Michael Clay in the Spring Game as a relatively smaller guy that can really tackle at that spot.
Jimmie Swain is 6'2 235
Michael Clay was 5'10 210

...don't see it.