Depth Chart released

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Re: Depth Chart released

Post by Greenblood »

And isn't there one name -- and one name only -- on the depth chart of which we've heard (or discussed) little or nothing about? I'm talking about Ivan Faulhaber, who is backing up French at OLB along with Heard. What did I miss about Ivan?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Greenblood wrote:And isn't there one name -- and one name only -- on the depth chart of which we've heard (or discussed) little or nothing about? I'm talking about Ivan Faulhaber, who is backing up French at OLB along with Heard. What did I miss about Ivan?
He's been a mainstay in Rob's reports and looked good in the spring game.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Taylor Allie listed as the #3 QB.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Phenom wrote:
Greenblood wrote:And isn't there one name -- and one name only -- on the depth chart of which we've heard (or discussed) little or nothing about? I'm talking about Ivan Faulhaber, who is backing up French at OLB along with Heard. What did I miss about Ivan?
He's been a mainstay in Rob's reports and looked good in the spring game.
Thanks, good to know. Apparently I wasn't paying very close attention.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

RanDux wrote:Taylor Allie listed as the #3 QB.
Where?
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Greenblood wrote:
Where?
The very last sentence of the 2 deep, where he is listed as the holder: "The holder in all 15 games in 2014; rushed and threw for 2-point conversions in 2014; Oregon’s No. 3 QB"
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

RanDux wrote:
Greenblood wrote:
Where?
The very last sentence of the 2 deep, where he is listed as the holder: "The holder in all 15 games in 2014; rushed and threw for 2-point conversions in 2014; Oregon’s No. 3 QB"
I clearly don't pay close enough attention to detail. Thanks, and good for Taylor.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

Greenblood wrote:Have to think it will disappoint many that Mattingly isn't on the listed two-deep.
i really don't look at it that way. We all know he is talented. He may have underwhelmed during fall camp but i think the depth chart result speaks great volumes for the other guys.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Pretty incredible that Griffin is already the #2 CB after only a week at that position. I would still like to see Nelson get some snaps on that side of the ball.
Honestly, its not at all if you listened to the John Neal interview lat week. Neal was gushing over him. Griffin's interview was also impressive
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

GrantDuck wrote:Biggest surprises/things of note:
-Merritt beats out Ofodile and a couple others for that #2 WR spot. No RS for him for sure now.
​-No Malik Lovette.
-Bralon Addison not starting. Still, #4 WR, will play a ton, surely. May still be the starting PR.
-No Carrington or D. Allen. I think they still haven't heard re: Carrington. I still think that situation is the NCAA being absolutely ridiculous. Allen still coming off that ACL, not a big surprise there.
-That DE position is loaded. Have to hope Balducci and Maloata step up. If so, will be a top 10 DL nationally. Something I never thought I'd say about Oregon.
-A little disappointed not to see Taj Griffin on the RB chart. I think he's more talented than our #2 or #3 guys with Tyner out. Hopefully by midseason.
-Not sure if Mattingly is hurt at LB, but odd not to see him after hype last season. He had a rough NC game with regards to assignment football, so either it's that or he's injured.
-Excited to see Khalil Oliver and some of the other young DB's. Last time we were this young we were so worried in the secondary we ended up with Thurmond and Byrd, so I'm hoping coach Neal will work his magic. The first 2 games will both be against good passing teams. Last year Ifo/Troy Hill dominated against Sparty which sparked the 2nd half comeback along with Armstead.
-Nervous about Robinson at starting safety and Hardrick at ILB.
-Excited to see more of Jimmy Swain at ILB. Reminded me of Michael Clay in the Spring Game as a relatively smaller guy that can really tackle at that spot.
-Crazy to see Ty Griffin literally transfer from QB to DB mid camp and still break the 2 deep.

Actually even a little bit surprised at VA being named the outright starter.

Let the 1 year VA project begin!

Good point on "assignment football" with Mattingly. I think that the coaches value that way more than natural ability and talent. But who knows, he could be injured.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

Phenom wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:-Nervous about Robinson at starting safety...
Why?
Yeah, I don't get this at all.
ya Neal was saying ALOT of good things about him in that interview last week as well.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Pretty incredible that Griffin is already the #2 CB after only a week at that position. I would still like to see Nelson get some snaps on that side of the ball.

Nelson doesn't even want to play D, unless he's absolutely needed. His heart is on o, so why force him to play D when we don't need him?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

KingofDucks wrote:Points of interest and my thoughts:

RB: Benoit listed as the #2
I think we all got a sense that he had a great offseason. But I think he and TBJ are co-#2's. They will both spell Freeman, but the down and distance will dictate who plays.

WR: Stanford ahead of Addison. Marshall spread out wide.
I think Addison will be a starter after a few games back. He needs to get acclimated. This isn't a surprise. We also rotate so many receivers, it won't matter. Should be interesting to see if Lovette or Ofodile will be redshirted and what will happen when Allen and Carrington are back. Curious to see Marshall at the FL position, rather than in the slot.

DE: Canton behind Buckner.
I'm curious if Canton will switch to the other end and take over Talia's starting spot at some point.

NG: Maloata over Manu and Baker
I'm curious if Manu and/or Baker will redshirt or play.

Also of note, our defense rotates so much that everyone in the 2-deep will get plenty of playing time.
In the interview, Lubick mentioned that the 2-deep is just something that he had to put on paper. Addison could more than likely end up starting depending on the game. But yeah, I'm sure they are going to ease him in the first game, to get caught up to speed.

I also know that it was announced a few days earlier that Ty Griffin would crack the lineup, but that still blows my mind that he's one of our first corners off the bench. Are Ihenacho and McGraw just not up to par yet, or are they a better fit at the safety positions?

And like Greenblood said, I'm a little surprised Mattingly didn't crack the 2-deep.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote: -Nervous about Robinson at starting safety and Hardrick at ILB.!
Why Robinson? I've seen/heard good things from him. I'm always nervous with Hardrick, but I have a feeling he pulls it together this year. Plus we got awesome depth behind him, so not too worried if things don't go great.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote: -Nervous about Robinson at starting safety and Hardrick at ILB.!
Why Robinson? I've seen/heard good things from him. I'm always nervous with Hardrick, but I have a feeling he pulls it together this year. Plus we got awesome depth behind him, so not too worried if things don't go great.
He didn't play well last year in games(bad angles in tackling were the main issue) and Dargan was a turnover producing machine who he's replacing.

Obviously, players can make big jumps from year one of games to year 2 and I hope he does based on what Coach Neal has been glowing about.