Oregon planning new Sports Science named for Mariota

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Oregon planning new Sports Science named for Mariota

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Oregon got another gift from Penny and Phil Knight to transform the Casanova Center's first floor into a state of the art training and sports science facility for all athletes and will be named the Marcus Mariota Sports Performance Complex. Also, the former football locker will be renovated to create a centralized equipment room for the entire athletic department. From what's been said in the past about all these honors, I'm not sure he's the type to want something name after him so it'll be to hear his reaction. I'm also surprised that they didn't add in Ashton Eaton's name to it, considering the name recognition he has after all his accomplishments.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... AI.twitter
mdm0302
Freshman

Re: Oregon planning new Sports Science named for Mariota

Post by mdm0302 »

greenyellow wrote:Looks like Oregon got another gift from Penny and Phil Knight to transform the Casanova Center's first floor into a state of the art training and sports science facility for all athletes and will be named the Marcus Mariota Sports Performance Complex. Also, the former football locker will be renovated to create a centralized equipment room for the entire athletic department. From what's been said in the past about all these honors, I'm not sure he's the type to want something name after him so it'll be to hear his reaction. I'm also surprised that they didn't add in Ashton Eaton's name to it, considering the name recognition he has after all his accomplishments.

+1 on the Ashton Eaton point. This is real cool. I wonder if MM feels uncomfortable with these kind of tributes considering the type of guy he is.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With them also doing renovations at Hayward Field, I could imagine they're saving his name for something over there.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

i would hope so
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

mdm0302 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Looks like Oregon got another gift from Penny and Phil Knight to transform the Casanova Center's first floor into a state of the art training and sports science facility for all athletes and will be named the Marcus Mariota Sports Performance Complex. Also, the former football locker will be renovated to create a centralized equipment room for the entire athletic department. From what's been said in the past about all these honors, I'm not sure he's the type to want something name after him so it'll be to hear his reaction. I'm also surprised that they didn't add in Ashton Eaton's name to it, considering the name recognition he has after all his accomplishments.

+1 on the Ashton Eaton point. This is real cool. I wonder if MM feels uncomfortable with these kind of tributes considering the type of guy he is.
Mariota has to get used to it, it's going to be like this the rest of his life. Don't win Heisman and play so great if you don't want tributes.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

greenyellow wrote:With them also doing renovations at Hayward Field, I could imagine they're saving his name for something over there.
I would imagine his name is set to be a part of the newly expanded Bowerman Facility. With three times the facility space as they previously had I'm sure they can find something to name after Ashton.