We aren't nearly as bad as we showed. Here is why:

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Re: We aren't nearly as bad as we showed. Here is why:

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:I actually have quite a bit of confidence in Lockie's ability to make those short, quick downfield throws that will keep opposing defenses from blitzing so heavily. Lockie only really struggled on the slower-developing plays when he was either trying to go deep or throw into the endzone.

I have total confidence in VA to make those throws, too, but not until he's 100 percent. He was making those throws easily against EW, and the offense rolled with no issues.
Agreed. I'm just not very concerned about the 10-15 yard passing game moving forward. I am concerned about the line's ability to create holes for our RBs and protect the QB.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote: I can't say what Lockie's deal is but VA's issue may have something to do with having a broken figure. IMO, once he's back healthy a lot of our offensive issue will work themselves out.
When his finger heals he'll still be short with a low release point. I think the coaches learning to work around his limitations will be the key to integrating Adams back in; if that indeed happens. The pressure beating short inside slants into areas vacated by blitzing linebackers that worked great for Thomas and Mariota will always be a challenge for VA. More bootleg perhaps where you would previously work the short middle?

In 2009 we had our worse O-Line (youth and no experience) of the Oregon Spread era and a shorter QB. For 3 games our offense stunk. Then Chip adapted to that reality and the offense took off. Maybe Helf and Frost have it in them to do the same, though their track record of adapting when Marcus lost his mobility with his knee problem in 2013 was not stellar.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:I actually have quite a bit of confidence in Lockie's ability to make those short, quick downfield throws that will keep opposing defenses from blitzing so heavily. Lockie only really struggled on the slower-developing plays when he was either trying to go deep or throw into the endzone.

I have total confidence in VA to make those throws, too, but not until he's 100 percent. He was making those throws easily against EW, and the offense rolled with no issues.
Agreed. I'm just not very concerned about the 10-15 yard passing game moving forward. I am concerned about the line's ability to create holes for our RBs and protect the QB.
I think the bigger issue is that the O isn't even a threat to throw a deep ball. Teams don't have to play cover 2 or anything else that would require their safeties to make deep drops. Teams can just sit with 8-9 in the box, take away our run and quick throws and watch them flounder. Even though we didn't often throw deep bombs with Marcus, they still had to respect his ability to make the deep throw. Compounding the issue is we can't get WR's more than 20 yard downfield anyways before the pocket collapses sending our QB running.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Not attacking posters but rather coaches and players, excuses don't change the result or score of a loss. I'm really tired of seeing so many excuses from the coaches and players. You didn't see this under Chip. If you know what the problems are then why aren't they being fixed? I'm not claiming to be some sort of genius but two points. First, by week 4 basic problems like communication should be fixed by now. Second, it's starting to sound like a broken record with the excuses.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Not attacking posters but rather coaches and players, excuses don't change the result or score of a loss. I'm really tired of seeing so many excuses from the coaches and players. You didn't see this under Chip. If you know what the problems are then why aren't they being fixed? I'm not claiming to be some sort of genius but two points. First, by week 4 basic problems like communication should be fixed by now. Second, it's starting to sound like a broken record with the excuses.
I think if we were seeing improvement week over week, the excuses would be easier to accept. The issue is that they are regressing on both sides of the ball.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck24 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Not attacking posters but rather coaches and players, excuses don't change the result or score of a loss. I'm really tired of seeing so many excuses from the coaches and players. You didn't see this under Chip. If you know what the problems are then why aren't they being fixed? I'm not claiming to be some sort of genius but two points. First, by week 4 basic problems like communication should be fixed by now. Second, it's starting to sound like a broken record with the excuses.
I think if we were seeing improvement week over week, the excuses would be easier to accept. The issue is that they are regressing on both sides of the ball.
That's a good point, but also the opponent and injuries should be considered. But again, I don't like hearing coaches use excuses, only time it's justified is when there are a crazy amount of injuries like in 07. But I can't figure out how they make excuses for such basic things, I mean, if you know what to do, then do it! Maybe that's over simplifying things, I'm not football genius or anywhere close to that, but again it feels like I see the same basic excuses every week.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I prefer to hear the coaches and players discuss their hardships. Otherwise, we wouldn't ever learn about anything they are dealing with.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

pezsez1 wrote:I prefer to hear the coaches and players discuss their hardships. Otherwise, we wouldn't ever learn about anything they are dealing with.
Agreed, it's nice to hear them speak openly and honestly about the problems. Although wouldn't you like to hear and see improvements in what those hardships are?

After a while, excuses aren't excuses, they become the norm and what is expected. Through four weeks, that has been the case with this team.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yeah... so far, I haven't heard any of the players or coaches taking anything away from Utah or Michigan State. They've given full credit to those teams for beating them.

However, they're also answering questions when asked about certain hardships being faced by this team, and so far we're not hearing any contradictory statements from players and coaches.

I don't know what else can be expected... unless nobody speaks with the media, or they just go Marshaun Lynch and start giving one-word answers to everything.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

DAT_man_again wrote:I was watching Talking Ducks last night, and they showed the replay of the 3rd and 1 when Wilson ran for 62 yards. During the pre-snap, one of the backs shifted to the right side of the line, and our safety was suppose to follow him across the field. However, (and I don't know who it was), our safety for some reason stayed put. If he had just followed his assignment, he would have been right in the gap where Wilson ran through. Just a completely blown coverage. Led to 7 points.

Also, during one of Wilson's touchdown passes, the corner (Ugo Amadi I think) let his guy run past him and stayed put as if he were trying to provide run support. It was clear he was expecting safety help. However, the safety was covering the other wideout, and Amadi's guy just blew past both of them and was WIDE OPEN behind them. Another 7 due to complete miscommunication. Then look at the rest of these:

Fake punt/camera help: Led to 7.
Brilliantly executed punt return: 7.
Halfback pass: 7.

That is 35 POINTS attributed to trick plays, and miscommunication/blown coverages. It wasn't like our corners were simply getting burned, they just were just not communicating and not doing their job.

Mix in 3 turnovers and you get a 42 point beat down. Make no mistake: Utah is not 42 points better than us. We are still supremely talented; more so than almost every single team left on our schedule. We can and we WILL get better. A lot of you predicting 6-6 and 7-5 seasons need to relax. These games happen. Not very often but they do happen.
I'm pretty confident that Utah would have scored close to the amount of points they did without the trick plays. They moved the ball pretty consistently.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

chapelhillduck wrote:our secondary of freshman and sophomores are making mistakes that young players make

When the safety's are a RS Jr and a RS So, I don't expect the mistakes I'm seeing. Both guys are in there 4 and 3rd year as ducks, they should understand how to communicate and what to do at this point.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

That is the defense, but the offense is struggling too and now it sounds like Adams may be out until the UW game.

On top of that Colorado has not surrendered a sack ulterior this year and they are plus 5 in turnover margin. I am very worried. We will be one dimensional on offense, are facing the best receiver in the PAC on defense, and are playing a team that has significantly cleaned up thier mistakes from a season ago.

This is not going to be easy.
DAT_man_again wrote:I was watching Talking Ducks last night, and they showed the replay of the 3rd and 1 when Wilson ran for 62 yards. During the pre-snap, one of the backs shifted to the right side of the line, and our safety was suppose to follow him across the field. However, (and I don't know who it was), our safety for some reason stayed put. If he had just followed his assignment, he would have been right in the gap where Wilson ran through. Just a completely blown coverage. Led to 7 points.

Also, during one of Wilson's touchdown passes, the corner (Ugo Amadi I think) let his guy run past him and stayed put as if he were trying to provide run support. It was clear he was expecting safety help. However, the safety was covering the other wideout, and Amadi's guy just blew past both of them and was WIDE OPEN behind them. Another 7 due to complete miscommunication. Then look at the rest of these:

Fake punt/camera help: Led to 7.
Brilliantly executed punt return: 7.
Halfback pass: 7.

That is 35 POINTS attributed to trick plays, and miscommunication/blown coverages. It wasn't like our corners were simply getting burned, they just were just not communicating and not doing their job.

Mix in 3 turnovers and you get a 42 point beat down. Make no mistake: Utah is not 42 points better than us. We are still supremely talented; more so than almost every single team left on our schedule. We can and we WILL get better. A lot of you predicting 6-6 and 7-5 seasons need to relax. These games happen. Not very often but they do happen.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

This is not going to be easy.
It won't be easy, but Oregon still has so many weapons that our offense shouldn't be a problem.

I really believe that Lockie will be fine as long as he's not thrust into a game with us already trailing by two scores. And I'm also expecting Frost to finally add some wrinkles into our ground game and not just send Royce up the middle over and over.

I wish the staff would use Royce more like Chip used to use LaGarette Blount... make him more of a second-half back who gashes teams once they've been worn down a bit. We'd make those defenses nice and tired by forcing them to chase TBJ or Taj.