"The argument" put in perspective, dead on analyses by Joey

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Sooth
Four Star Recruit

Re: "The argument" put in perspective, dead on analyses by J

Post by Sooth »

I wanted Pellum replaced before he even called a game.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Sooth wrote:I wanted Pellum replaced before he even called a game.
It is amazing that he got the job to begin with. From what I remember reading, at the time, the UO was willing to fork out the big bucks for the right guy.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Lots of different perspectives here, one thing is for sure and I want to point out is everyone here is certainly a die hard Duck fan! That is the most important thing.

Alan
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

fpsduck wrote:
Sooth wrote:I wanted Pellum replaced before he even called a game.
It is amazing that he got the job to begin with. From what I remember reading, at the time, the UO was willing to fork out the big bucks for the right guy.

I don't think that was ever true, just internet rumors.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

Pellum is in over his head. If Oregon wants to remain elite it needs elite coaching or just listen to the old people on this forum who think its acceptable to have the worst D, not just in the Pac-12 but probably west of the Mississippi. So don't tell fans how to react. The Ducks have made it to an elite level and we want to see them remain there. Yes great programs have down years, but when the new guys take the program that has been built over the last decade and and turn it into complete turmoil from Defense to Offense you bet we are going to call for heads to ROLL!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

vegasdom wrote:Pellum is in over his head. If Oregon wants to remain elite it needs elite coaching or just listen to the old people on this forum who think its acceptable to have the worst D, not just in the Pac-12 but probably west of the Mississippi. So don't tell fans how to react. The Ducks have made it to an elite level and we want to see them remain there. Yes great programs have down years, but when the new guys take the program that has been built over the last decade and and turn it into complete turmoil from Defense to Offense you bet we are going to call for heads to ROLL!
Like Joey said, "Relax." The program is not imploding so there's really no need for wholesale changes. They're just going through a bit of a transition with players being thrown into new roles and having a rash of injuries at key positions. Give the coaches and players some time to figure it out. I'm not sure why people thought they'd be exactly where they were last season, especially after losing talented, all-conference players like Mariota, Grasu, Fisher, Armstead, Ifo, Hill, and Dargan to the NFL and then Seisay, Marshall, Tyner, and Brown to injury.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
vegasdom wrote:Pellum is in over his head. If Oregon wants to remain elite it needs elite coaching or just listen to the old people on this forum who think its acceptable to have the worst D, not just in the Pac-12 but probably west of the Mississippi. So don't tell fans how to react. The Ducks have made it to an elite level and we want to see them remain there. Yes great programs have down years, but when the new guys take the program that has been built over the last decade and and turn it into complete turmoil from Defense to Offense you bet we are going to call for heads to ROLL!
Like Joey said, "Relax." The program is not imploding so there's really no need for wholesale changes. They're just going through a bit of a transition with players being thrown into new roles and having a rash of injuries at key positions. Give the coaches and players some time to figure it out. I'm not sure why people thought they'd be exactly where they were last season, especially after losing talented, all-conference players like Mariota, Grasu, Fisher, Armstead, Ifo, Hill, and Dargan to the NFL and then Seisay, Marshall, Tyner, and Brown to injury.
To say they're not where they were last season is not capturing the truth. The disparity between last season and this season is way to big thus far. Is fine if they weren't up to the level of last season, but this far it looks like they dropped from top of the conference to a bottom dweller. Plus, the defense is beyond atrocious, and while I understand pains, they should be nowhere near this bad.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Give the coaches and players some time to figure it out. I'm not sure why people thought they'd be exactly where they were last season, especially after losing talented, all-conference players like Mariota, Grasu, Fisher, Armstead, Ifo, Hill, and Dargan to the NFL and then Seisay, Marshall, Tyner, and Brown to injury.
I honestly thought this team would be as good as last year, but I vastly underestimated the impact of youth in the secondary (based in part to the offseason PR coming out of the A.D. as well as old-fashioned wishful thinking).

Also, Vernon Adams getting hurt really crippled us early. That cost us the MSU game, and there's no telling how the Utah game might have changed had the offense not stalled so hard on its first few possessions.

Now, with Seisay out... yeesh. That was our most experienced guy in a two-deep of massively inexperienced corners. It really could be a rough year, but I'm hoping our young guys are fast learners.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

Outstanding take by Joey and Aaron. I hope all the posters wanting to fire Pellum/Greatwood/Frost/Helfrich/Neal/whoever take this opportunity to watch the video and educate themselves.

Here's a thought- instead of wanting to fire coaches, how about rallying behind them? How about understanding that yes, we've had some struggles this year, but how about getting behind our coaches, believing in our coaches, and supporting our coaches through thick and thin? Contrary to what a lot of you probably think, they're not idiots. None of them are- trust me. They know what's going on. They understand what's happening, they understand we're not firing on all cylinders, and I know they're going to do everything they can to coach these kids and win every single game remaining on our schedule.

We're 2-2, we still have at least 8 games left, 9 if we make a bowl game. There's a TON of football left to be played, so instead of calling for firings mid-season (which never works out by the way), how about showing some SUPPORT for a change.

Perspective is your friend.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If I was as bad at my job, as Pellum has been at his, I'd be fired yesterday, as would anyone here. He ranks dead last in the U.S., with a secondary who starts 3 former 4* and a 3* (who's hurt now) be the nickel corner is a former 4* also. Meanwhile just up the road in Seattle, you have a secondary who's just as young, with less talent, and they just held a Cal team who was averaging 51 puts a game, to 30 points and they have the top d in the conference. Don't tell me what we lost, when I know for a fact we have tons of talent on D. Mental errors, not communicating, being in the wrong alignment that's ALL coaching.

I don't expect us to win every game, but I do expect our guys to compete for 4 quarters. On Saturday they gave up after half, it was the first time I've seen UO do than since the byu game in Vegas.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:If I was as bad at my job, as Pellum has been at his, I'd be fired yesterday, as would anyone here. He ranks dead last in the U.S., with a secondary who starts 3 former 4* and a 3* (who's hurt now) be the nickel corner is a former 4* also. Meanwhile just up the road in Seattle, you have a secondary who's just as young, with less talent, and they just held a Cal team who was averaging 51 puts a game, to 30 points and they have the top d in the conference. Don't tell me what we lost, when I know for a fact we have tons of talent on D. Mental errors, not communicating, being in the wrong alignment that's ALL coaching.

I don't expect us to win every game, but I do expect our guys to compete for 4 quarters. On Saturday they gave up after half, it was the first time I've seen UO do than since the byu game in Vegas.
So you're calling for him to be fired right now? Only a quarter of the way through the season? If so, that is the type of reaction that Joey and Aaron were saying was wrong for fans to be making, especially so early in the season. Based on this supposed solution, I'm glad you're not the one making the decisions since it seems any coach would be on the hot seat after a bad game or two.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

No, but he should be fired as soon as the regular season is over. Pellum hasn't had a bad game or two, it's now 18 bad games. When other coaches say they saw this coming, and that our guys play unsound football on D, maybe the coaching is just bad. It's not just us fans seeing this stuff.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Meanwhile just up the road in Seattle, you have a secondary who's just as young, with less talent, and they just held a Cal team who was averaging 51 puts a game, to 30 points and they have the top d in the conference.
Washington secondary is nothing like Oregon's secondary.

The two sophomores on the starting two-deep in Washington's secondary (safety Budda Baker and corner Sidney Jones) started nearly every game for the Huskies in 2014. Junior cornerback Kevin King was also a starter last year. The only "inexperienced" player in UW's secondary is SENIOR safety Brian Clay, who was a reserve safety who mostly played special teams until now.

Meanwhile, our starting corners for this upcoming game (and last weekend's, too) didn't play a single snap last year, and neither did any of their backups. One of our safeties was a reserve player in 2014 who didn't see much playing time until the end of the year; and our junior safety is a guy who people on this forum continually rag on for not being very good.

To summarize:

UW = 3 prior-year starters and a senior who came off the bench last year
UO = 2 guys who didn't play last year, a soph reserve & a junior who has issues

Whether our players are more talented (or equally talented) as UW's players remains to be seen. We all know that star rankings often mean little once the lights actually go on. Remember what Chip Kelly used to say about quarterbacks (they're like tea bags; you don't know what you've got until you put them in hot water). I think the same can be said about any football recruit, and only time will tell us how good this crop of young cornerbacks really is.

But, without a doubt, we can safely conclude that there's no comparing the experience levels of UW's secondary vs. our secondary. UW has a huge advantage in that area.
Pellum hasn't had a bad game or two, it's now 18 bad games.
You just praised UW for giving up 30 points in a LOSS. And now you're saying Oregon's defense was bad ALL OF last year, even though we held most of our opponents to 20 points or less?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

fpsduck wrote:I was going to Oregon games before Joey was even born...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with holding the coaches accountable for poor performances IMO. It's completely normal for fans to complain about what's going on with the current state of Duck football.

Obviously, wanting a coach fired mid-season is ridiculous. But they definitely need a fire lit under their butts.
+1

Is it that bad to expect better things out of your team when you see a product that simply bad on the field. It is one thing to lose, it is another to look entirely unprepared for your opposition which is down to the coaching. This is why I hold the coached entirely responsible for this debacle. They should be better than this and if this trend continues, it is truly sad from such an experinece staff to which changes must be made to address such issues.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Only coach I think should be fired is DP, defense shouldn't be giving up that many points, especially a team that is a run first team. Offensive line seems to be getting a pass, they haven't been giving our backs the holes to run through as usual. Every elite team has a drop off (USC, Florida, Texas, Michigan) so I'm not flipping out like most people.