It would be nice

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

It would be nice

Post by woundedknees »

to lose the cushion, and maybe jam the receiver at the LOS occasionally, just to disrupt the fow of opposing offenses, dontcha think?

While we're at it, let's throw caution to the wind on 3rd and long, and keep any cushion short of the first down marker... None of these kids seem to be able to change direction fast enough to get back to the receiver on a quick out or a screen.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: It would be nice

Post by UOducksTK1 »

It would be nice. One thing I always liked about Chip is how he would use a quarter or two to see how teams react before going for the jugular. I wish our defense would play like that. Adapt to the offense, and apply different schemes/approaches depending on what's working. I rarely see Oregon try anything creative on defense.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

woundedknees wrote:to lose the cushion, and maybe jam the receiver at the LOS occasionally, just to disrupt the fow of opposing offenses, dontcha think?

While we're at it, let's throw caution to the wind on 3rd and long, and keep any cushion short of the first down marker... None of these kids seem to be able to change direction fast enough to get back to the receiver on a quick out or a screen.
Agree. Why not? Utah scored on almost every possession. Is there any additional risk???
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

no, those things run counter to our current defensive philosophy. don't you guys realize by now that we don't have the talent to do those things anyways?

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I hear ya. It gets frustrating to watch our defensive backs give 15 yard cushions and the receivers run 8 yard curl patterns for instant first downs every other play.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

Problem is we play off the ball so far they turn quick passes into long runs and TDs because we cannont tackle. Our corners can cover but sagging off like that is almost like letting Ray Allen square of for an open 3. Don Pellum needs to cut that cushion down and see what these young guns can do because tackling isnt something they have shown they can do at this point.
Return Of the Quack!
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

What is crazy is there have been several times even with a 8-10 yard cushion the CBs are still getting burned and allowing the receiver to run right past them.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

We should fantasize about dropping the 2 gap alignment and the 3-4 as well.

Edit: And before I forget, actually subbing in a nickelback when the opponent has 3 wideouts on the field!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I think the thing I saw that eats at me more than anything is the multiple 3rd/4th and long situations where the DBs line up with not only a huge cushion, but beyond the down marker... Letting forward progress achieve the needed distance before the ball even arrives is insanity.

I honestly was rooting for the DBs to say "Screw this!", and move up to knock some teeth loose.

In the immortal words of Alice Cooper, "NO MORE MR.NICE GUY".

If the receivers start come off the field saying "He's sick... He's a fiend!", maybe we'll have something to cheer about!
Last edited by woundedknees on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

woundedknees wrote:I think the thing I saw that eats at me more than anything is the multiple 3rd/3th and long situations where the DBs line up with not only a huge cushion, but beyond the down marker... Letting forward progress achieve the needed distance before the ball even arrives is insanity.

I honestly was rooting for the DBs to say "Screw this!", and move up to knock some teeth loose.

In the immortal words of Alice Cooper, "NO MORE MR.NICE GUY".

If the receivers start come off the field saying "He's sick... He's a fiend!", maybe we'll have something to cheer about!
Isn't that what got Cliff Harris in the dog house before his legal troubles? He didn't like the positioning the coaches were expecting of him?
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

Duck07 wrote:no, those things run counter to our current defensive philosophy. don't you guys realize by now that we don't have the talent to do those things anyways?

He's right we should be using press coverage against quick pass philosophies or down and distance trends and we don't. It's not the talent, its the coaching/scheme.

We utilize a broken scheme that asks the DL to "Hold the gapS" not "Own the gap". The space eater, 2 gap approach, just kills the ability to transition to a pass rush when the down and distance poses a run or throw option. It doesn't work. If we utilized a one-gap penetration model, you could utilize press coverage to slow up the wideouts and the DL would be able to create pressure on the QB or GOD forbid, actually sack a qb on quick slants and outs.

DP needs to go. It's coaching and scheme not talent.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

srsmiley007 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
no, those things run counter to our current defensive philosophy. don't you guys realize by now that we don't have the talent to do those things anyways?

He's right we should be using press coverage against quick pass philosophies or down and distance trends and we don't. It's not the talent, its the coaching/scheme.

We utilize a broken scheme that asks the DL to "Hold the gapS" not "Own the gap". The space eater, 2 gap approach, just kills the ability to transition to a pass rush when the down and distance poses or throw option. It doesn't work. If we utilized a one-gap penetration model, you could utilize press coverage to slow up the wideouts and the DL would be able to create pressure on the QB or GOD forbid, actually sack a qb on quick slants and outs.

DP needs to go. It's coaching and scheme not talent.
lol

timberduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by timberduck »

I'm fine with the "soft", bend don't break when it's executed properly. It's the philosophy that DP inherited from Allioti, and it's the philosophy that got us to two NCG games.

Of course, the entire scheme is predicated on a) playing sound enough to not give up explosion plays, b) tightening up in the red zone and holding them to field goals knowing that c) our offense will score touchdowns on most possessions.

But when you're incapable of consistently accomplishing any of the above, the "bend don't break" quickly turns into "bend, then break", or, as we've seen this season, just "break."