Darren Carrington Cited

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Darren Carrington Cited

Post by Duck24 »

Cited for an open container after the Utah game. Can't say I blame him or don't understand. I had a few adult beverages after watching them get embarrassed.

In all seriousness though, I know it's not a big deal at all, but given that he is currently suspended for a failed drug test, I'd love to see better decision making.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Re: Darren Carrington Cited

Post by gofightingducks »

I know he is just a college kid being a college kid but Poor judgement considering his current suspension.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'm sure his father would tell you that he's never had a drink in his life.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It is a big deal, first, really you can't wait a little bit to crack a beer? What's next DUI? Dumb, dumb move for someone about to come off suspension for smoking weed. He better not look at social media because of all the MADD folks dumping on him. I do look forward to seeing how Helf handles this. Dumb move!
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

At least he is not doing B & Es with Kiko
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

He got busted for an open container violation, not DUI or anything more like that. Right now, he's trying to figure out his role with the team and that's going to lead to some brainfart moments. These are the type of moments that you use to train someone and see what they are made of, whether they are going forward as a member of your team or somewhere else. It's not a dumb move, he just needs to work through things now. That being said, he is eligible to come back this week to the game scheme. We'll see how they work him into the rotation and whether he's used this time off to keep his game up to snuff or if he disappears like several of the ones before him.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Hjpop, I do very much respect your post, but you're saying drinking and driving is not a dumb move, it doesn't matter if you're the driver or passenger, it's drinking and driving.... Dumb move, more so while you're on suspension for blowing dope.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

No, what I'm saying is that he got busted for Open Container, not DUI. One is a minor violation and should be dealt with internally. The other is a serious issue that will be dealt with on an institutional level (as well as court). You can't equate the two because they are not.

Right now, I do not know the specifics of the alleged violation so I do not comment on that. What I'm saying is that Carrington is in a position where the coaches should be looking out for him as a student and person, not just the player in need of guidance. We have seen players here at Oregon get busted for a violation, suspended, and then go off the rails and do something even more boneheaded that cost them plenty (i.e. Masoli and Lyerla). I hope he can get back to the main reason he came here, to play ball, and this is the week he's able to do so. How he reacts will tell if he remains a valued member of the squad or he gets set adrift.

Nothing about driving drunk in either post, alan. Calm down.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

By all accounts he wasn't even in a vehicle--certainly not driving. He was a 20 year old college student, mingling with other people while carrying a container which contained alcohol. Probably at least 75% of Oregon students are guilty at some point.

According to Eugene police spokeswoman Melinda McLaughlin, officers on "party patrol" found Carrington, 20, in an alley near Eugene's East 14th Avenue and Patterson Street at 2:34 a.m., holding a cup that appeared to contain alcohol. The officers confirmed it was alcohol, and issued a citation in lieu of custody, McLaughlin said.

Several other people in the alley were being cited at the same time, McLaughlin said, and the officers chose not to write additional citations — such as minor in possession — out of their discretion to save time

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... ngt_1.html
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

My apologies, I jumped to the assumption that because he was cited for an open container he was in a vehicle. I didn't think of the possibility he was standing with a beer outside of a party....... Complete Okay college kid thing and a complete dumbazz cop move ...... If it turns out to be true. Again my apologies.

Alan
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Alan wrote:Hjpop, I do very much respect your post, but you're saying drinking and driving is not a dumb move, it doesn't matter if you're the driver or passenger, it's drinking and driving.... Dumb move, more so while you're on suspension for blowing dope.
Um, it matters a lot whether you're drinking as a passenger or drinking as a driver... You don't actually mean that, do you?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Tray Dub wrote:
Alan wrote:Hjpop, I do very much respect your post, but you're saying drinking and driving is not a dumb move, it doesn't matter if you're the driver or passenger, it's drinking and driving.... Dumb move, more so while you're on suspension for blowing dope.
Um, it matters a lot whether you're drinking as a passenger or drinking as a driver... You don't actually mean that, do you?
Two things, first Carrington's is a world class athlete in a top nationally ranked team football team with a chance to make millions in the pros currently on 6 game suspension for testing positive for drugs. I know he's a young college age man, but tell me does it matter to the team, other high round draft picks the ducks currently have, pro scouts, corporate endorsements....... He's a kid, but still a dumbazz move, reminds me of another high draft pick we had, went by the name of "we smoked it all".

Second read the post just above your post, the one o posted almost 2 1/2 before your current post. Even if he was on the lawn with a cup of alcohol...... Dumb move, especially serving a suspension.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Poor judgement considering the circumstances more than anything but not an egregious act, he will probably serve an additional one game suspension internally and hopefully learn from this, if not he could find himself in the same boat as some other talented players not just at Oregon and lose out on a chance at the NFL and a lot of money.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Honestly...who cares. It's alcohol, its college. The feigned moral outrage is laughable.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I'm sur Helf is having a good laugh