Where is Mahalak?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

Where is Mahalak?

Post by jimmy12 »

The QB play cannot be worse. Chip was known for developing QBs. Where is the QB development?
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Re: Where is Mahalak?

Post by neezy3 »

It left with him obviously? Mahalak must be really bad if he can't crack this lineup consisting of walk-on talent. How is it possible for a perennial top 10 team not to have a qb that can throw 10 yards.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

jimmy12 wrote:The QB play cannot be worse. Chip was known for developing QBs. Where is the QB development?

Chip never won with chicken crap. He made the O simplistic enough that guys like Dixon could just play, but when he had bad QBs, they didn't get better. Chris Harper was a 4*, but nothing chip could do would help him throw the ball better. Our O would be stuck in the same spot even if chip was here calling the plays. No O looks good with bad qb play.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:The QB play cannot be worse. Chip was known for developing QBs. Where is the QB development?

Chip never won with chicken crap. He made the O simplistic enough that guys like Dixon could just play, but when he had bad QBs, they didn't get better. Chris Harper was a 4*, but nothing chip could do would help him throw the ball better. Our O would be stuck in the same spot even if chip was here calling the plays. No O looks good with bad qb play.
Harper was a 4* ATH that wanted to play QB. He wasn't a 4*QB.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Helfrich has 'developed' more QBs than Chip (Grant Hedrick, Andrew Walter, Mariota). Who did Chip 'develop' beyond implementing an offense that finally fit Dixon?

In reality, all the eggs were in the Morgan Mahalak basket. While he could still pan out, that was just a lot of risk. I'm not as sold that Jonsen will have made long enough strides in a year of sitting out to push to start next year.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
Helfrich has 'developed' more QBs than Chip (Grant Hedrick, Andrew Walter, Mariota). Who did Chip 'develop' beyond implementing an offense that finally fit Dixon?

In reality, all the eggs were in the Morgan Mahalak basket. While he could still pan out, that was just a lot of risk. I'm not as sold that Jonsen will have made long enough strides in a year of sitting out to push to start next year.

Travis will start, no doubt about it minus anymore injuries.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Masoli, Thomas, Dixon, MM
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

jimmy12 wrote:Masoli, Thomas, Dixon, MM
Thomas' primary QB coach was Helfrich. And Masoli didn't advance much at Oregon. He was the same guy from game 1 (which was only a couple weeks after he arrived in Eugene) until his last game.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I have to believe the staff is already scouring the JC ranks looking for a QB that can step in next year.
John 3:36
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

StevensTechU wrote:

Grant Hedrick? Wasn't he a QB at Boise State while Helf was OC/HC at Oregon?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Chip wasn't what I'd call a qb developer, more like he was smart enough to work his O around the skills of the QBs he had. As you see in Philly, if his qb isn't very skilled, his O doesn't go very well just like our pass game this year.

I like Helf and frost, but I wonder if a qb coach isn't needed for the staff? Frost honestly hasn't shown any great skill at developing talent, and either WR or Qb, and Helf is busy with the entire team.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:Chip wasn't what I'd call a qb developer, more like he was smart enough to work his O around the skills of the QBs he had. As you see in Philly, if his qb isn't very skilled, his O doesn't go very well just like our pass game this year.

I like Helf and frost, but I wonder if a qb coach isn't needed for the staff? Frost honestly hasn't shown any great skill at developing talent, and either WR or Qb, and Helf is busy with the entire team.
I agree with every part of what you said here. I think Helf probably spends a bit more time with QBs now than he does other positions, but it's not like he's leading their position meetings, so it's definitely a Frost issue. My pipe dream is Frost gets hired somewhere else, Oregon promotes Lubick to QB coach/OC, finds someone else to come in and coach WRs. But with the way the season is going, I can't imagine Frost will be more attractive as a HC candidate than he was last offseason.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Costa, Roper, Bennett. Even the backups had some success.
jimmy12 wrote:Masoli, Thomas, Dixon, MM
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Wasn't the first game Roper appeared in that 0-??? loss to UCLA?

Roper and the other guy (Kemp?) were so bad that when Dixon went down against Arizona, we opted to play the entire second half with Brady Leaf, who had sprained both of his ankles.

Roper played again in that OT Civil War loss before tearing it up in the Sun Bowl a month later.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Lockie at this point, but I think Taylor Allie deserves a bit of slack. He can run the option, and he did hit a huge pass in last night's game! He deserves massive props right now.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:Wasn't the first game Roper appeared in that 0-??? loss to UCLA?

Roper and the other guy (Kemp?) were so bad that when Dixon went down against Arizona, we opted to play the entire second half with Brady Leaf, who had sprained both of his ankles.

Roper played again in that OT Civil War loss before tearing it up in the Sun Bowl a month later.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Lockie at this point, but I think Taylor Allie deserves a bit of slack. He can run the option, and he did hit a huge pass in last night's game! He deserves massive props right now.

I've always gotten a good laugh about that narrative. Roper completed 17 of 30 passes for 154yds and 4 TDs. JStes rushed for 253yds. Roped had a nice day,'but people love to lie about how he looked out there, and how we actually won that game. That game was dominated by Stew from start until finish.