Gotta hope that is it for Don Pellum

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckedonQuack
Two Star Recruit

Re: Gotta hope that is it for Don Pellum

Post by DuckedonQuack »

srsmiley007 wrote:
vagusnerve wrote:Pellum is so bad. Just the worst. He's got a highly talented D with possibly the #1 draft pick and the best D line in the pac 12 and he turns out one of the worst defenses of all time. He needs to go. Total joke to have a guy like this running the ducks D, random dude on the street could do a better job.
Thank you. Well said.

Oh, and for those above who preach that no one has the experience to possibly understand or right to comment on a defense that hasn't exceeded 58th in 2 years. At least 3 of us on this board are ex-players or coaches and you are oh so wrong. I could try and explain why this scheme, his adjustments and calls are an abortion but you wouldn't get it so I'll make it very simple, he stinks.
I think some of us as fans don't understand why the scheme, play calling, and adjustments are so bad. I think some on this board including I would be really interested in a more in depth detail of what our defense does, how they do it wrong, and what they really should be doing. This would be great if someone is interested in doing it in a new topic.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Cedar Tree wrote:Wouldn't get your hopes up.

And I can guarantee you Pellum knows 100x more about football than anyone on this forum. To say he's "forgotten the basics" is just silly. :lol:
How's the view from your horse cedar? Comments like that are just as lame and ignorant as some of the people you're trying to call out, congrats!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DuckedonQuack wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:
vagusnerve wrote:Pellum is so bad. Just the worst. He's got a highly talented D with possibly the #1 draft pick and the best D line in the pac 12 and he turns out one of the worst defenses of all time. He needs to go. Total joke to have a guy like this running the ducks D, random dude on the street could do a better job.
Thank you. Well said.

Oh, and for those above who preach that no one has the experience to possibly understand or right to comment on a defense that hasn't exceeded 58th in 2 years. At least 3 of us on this board are ex-players or coaches and you are oh so wrong. I could try and explain why this scheme, his adjustments and calls are an abortion but you wouldn't get it so I'll make it very simple, he stinks.
I think some of us as fans don't understand why the scheme, play calling, and adjustments are so bad. I think some on this board including I would be really interested in a more in depth detail of what our defense does, how they do it wrong, and what they really should be doing. This would be great if someone is interested in doing it in a new topic.
Some of us have already done this, like every year...
Mcbronsh
One Star Recruit

Post by Mcbronsh »

Josh Wilcox could be available (/snark)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

Duck07 wrote:

And I can guarantee you Pellum knows 100x more about football than anyone on this forum. To say he's "forgotten the basics" is just silly. :lol:
How's the view from your horse cedar? Comments like that are just as lame and ignorant as some of the people you're trying to call out, congrats!
Oh, my bad; for some reason I believe a Defensive Coordinator earning hundreds of thousands of dollars, a guy with playing experience and over 30 years of coaching experience- the last 22 of which coaching one the most successful college football teams of the last decade- knows more about football than random fans on an internet forum. And for the record, I'm including myself in the "fans" category as well.

Look, you want him gone, that's fine. I get it- you're not happy with the defense, and you feel Pellum is responsible. But I'm irked by posts saying he's an idiot, or he's "forgotten the basics", or he doesn't know what he's doing. If that were even remotely true, there's 0 chance he'd be where he is today.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Look, you want him gone, that's fine. I get it- you're not happy with the defense, and you feel Pellum is responsible. But I'm irked by posts saying he's an idiot, or he's "forgotten the basics", or he doesn't know what he's doing. If that were even remotely true, there's 0 chance he'd be where he is today.
Totally agree -- and I'm one of the folks who'd like to see us make a change now.

Pellum has shown he's totally capable of making solid gameplans. We had several games last season when we held opponents to around 20 points, which is great in today's college football world. And even down the stretch of this season, he pitched good games against Cal, Stanford and USC. However, I just haven't seen a consistent ability to adjust. Nick Allioti was great at that. With Pellum, he just seems too slow to react when his gameplan isn't working, and that lets opponents hang with us. As we saw yesterday, the results can be disastrous if the offense starts stalling too. And while our offense is really good, we can't expect them to score literally every time they touch the ball -- especially in a year like this when we sometimes struggle to score TDs in the redzone.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Totally agree -- and I'm one of the folks who'd like to see us make a change now.
Great post! agreed!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Cedar Tree wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Oh, my bad; for some reason I believe a Defensive Coordinator earning hundreds of thousands of dollars, a guy with playing experience and over 30 years of coaching experience- the last 22 of which coaching one the most successful college football teams of the last decade- knows more about football than random fans on an internet forum. And for the record, I'm including myself in the "fans" category as well.

Well personal attacks aside, there is a large body of his work that leads to legitimate questions pertaining to his knowledge of running a defense. You can give him the credit as a positions coach, but as a coordinator for two years he has serious flaws, some which lead to valid questions pertaining to his ability to do the job he's tasked with.

A person can work in a bank and be a great teller, doesn't mean they'll make a great loan manager. It's clear that he is in over his head as basics get thrown out the window in the scheme. When you believe that not pressuring a qb is the best way to help your pass d, not questioning the methodology as it pertains to the results on the field is lunacy.

I guarantee you Pellum doesn't even know twice as much about football as I do. There are 100 hs football coaches in this state who know just as much about football. It's not what you know, it's what you do with the knowledge you have.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Has he been fired yet?

Seriously though, after the bowl game Pellum needs to retire/be fired/take a different job.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Having knowledge and using it appropriately are different things. Pellum continually calls for confounding defensive schemes.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

Duck07 wrote:
Cedar Tree wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Well personal attacks aside, there is a large body of his work that leads to legitimate questions pertaining to his knowledge of running a defense. You can give him the credit as a positions coach, but as a coordinator for two years he has serious flaws, some which lead to valid questions pertaining to his ability to do the job he's tasked with.

A person can work in a bank and be a great teller, doesn't mean they'll make a great loan manager. It's clear that he is in over his head as basics get thrown out the window in the scheme. When you believe that not pressuring a qb is the best way to help your pass d, not questioning the methodology as it pertains to the results on the field is lunacy.

I guarantee you Pellum doesn't even know twice as much about football as I do. There are 100 hs football coaches in this state who know just as much about football. It's not what you know, it's what you do with the knowledge you have.
I have a lot of respect for your opinions, but what experience/knowledge do you have pertaining to managing/coaching a defense? Pellum doesn't even know twice as much as you do? and there are a 100 hs coaches in the state who know as much? Lets be real - those opinions seem very irrational.. I think that there needs to be a change, but you don't beat Stanford and USC in back to back weeks when the D coordinator is "clearly" in over his head.

We can get better than Pellum. Thats why there needs to be a change. But the guy is not clueless
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Well thank you, but what sort of secret knowledge do you think there is out there that other people/outsiders are unaware of? I know precisely what used to go into gameplanning each week at Oregon when I was an undergrad; it's not some esoteric mystery and it's not even that different than a decent high school program for that matter. Well except for the film and the time most coaches can put into it, I still have old cutups of the wsu secondary and it's so easy to read, not just the concepts and schemes but individual player tendencies to exploit.

I don't think Pellum is anything but a nice person and a decent linebackers coach but he is obviously a level above what he is ready for right now. Those two wins aren't stellar defensive performances and the Stanford game came down to Jon Neal telling him what to do on the final play because nothing else had worked. I understand it's possible even that Pellum might actually be an amazing gameplanner hit a terrible play caller but it just seems much more difficult to believe he'd build a great package and then abandon 90% of it on game day.

Look at VA Tech with Bud Foster purportedly staying on as a D.C. for someone else. Compare that to say Will Muschamp who tried to be a HC and failed. Sometimes you're better off in the position right where you're at. If the goal for Oregon is to maintain as much continuity as possible in the staff, then finding an experienced candidate who isn't eager for promotion is ideal but they need to already have been a play caller on defense.