Gotta hope that is it for Don Pellum

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Gotta hope that is it for Don Pellum

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:
duckfan96 wrote:No I don't....he sucks as a COACH. Not as a person, hasn't slept with a student, raped anyone so no HE ISNT garbage.
His job isn't to not rape anyone, his job is to field a championship caliper defense. Honestly, your retarded.
This is just the stuff I love about the grade school kids that post here. Why not think like a mature person and post as a mature person. I think the D came out in the second half and just threw their jocks on the field, it almost cost them. Think things though and quit blaming coaches....... What happened is players thought they had an easy game and it almost cost them the game.
Exactly^^^^

Re-Elect Don Pellum For DC! Four More Years! Four More Years!!! 8-)

Honestly, although he hasn't had a stellar tenure since he took over as DC, Don Pellum has probably forgotten more about football than most posters in this forum will ever know. Let the coaches coach. This is Helf's job to deal with. There are likely a lot of factors going on behind the scenes that most of us aren't aware of. Let's just try to be FANS and cheer our team on and let Helfrich determine what's best for the team.
John 3:36
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think the best we can hope for is co-coordinators and they tag it as a promotion for Neal.

IMO we need new blood and to interject a more aggressive defense with simpler schemes but I am holding out zero hope for that.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote:
Alan wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:
duckfan96 wrote:No I don't....he sucks as a COACH. Not as a person, hasn't slept with a student, raped anyone so no HE ISNT garbage.
His job isn't to not rape anyone, his job is to field a championship caliper defense. Honestly, your retarded.
This is just the stuff I love about the grade school kids that post here. Why not think like a mature person and post as a mature person. I think the D came out in the second half and just threw their jocks on the field, it almost cost them. Think things though and quit blaming coaches....... What happened is players thought they had an easy game and it almost cost them the game.
Exactly^^^^

Re-Elect Don Pellum For DC! Four More Years! Four More Years!!! 8-)

Honestly, although he hasn't had a stellar tenure since he took over as DC, Don Pellum has probably forgotten more about football than most posters in this forum will ever know. Let the coaches coach. This is Helf's job to deal with. There are likely a lot of factors going on behind the scenes that most of us aren't aware of. Let's just try to be FANS and cheer our team on and let Helfrich determine what's best for the team.
I think you're right that Pellum has forgotten quite a bit about the basics of football, lol. We need to lock this thread though, were not actually qualified to talk about this stuff
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

Wouldn't get your hopes up.

And I can guarantee you Pellum knows 100x more about football than anyone on this forum. To say he's "forgotten the basics" is just silly. :lol:
vagusnerve
Freshman

Post by vagusnerve »

Pellum is so bad. Just the worst. He's got a highly talented D with possibly the #1 draft pick and the best D line in the pac 12 and he turns out one of the worst defenses of all time. He needs to go. Total joke to have a guy like this running the ducks D, random dude on the street could do a better job.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

vagusnerve wrote:Pellum is so bad. Just the worst. He's got a highly talented D with possibly the #1 draft pick and the best D line in the pac 12 and he turns out one of the worst defenses of all time. He needs to go. Total joke to have a guy like this running the ducks D, random dude on the street could do a better job.
Thank you. Well said.

Oh, and for those above who preach that no one has the experience to possibly understand or right to comment on a defense that hasn't exceeded 58th in 2 years. At least 3 of us on this board are ex-players or coaches and you are oh so wrong. I could try and explain why this scheme, his adjustments and calls are an abortion but you wouldn't get it so I'll make it very simple, he stinks.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think the best we can hope for is co-coordinators and they tag it as a promotion for Neal.

IMO we need new blood and to interject a more aggressive defense with simpler schemes but I am holding out zero hope for that.
Unfortunately, your probably right. It will likely be Neal who I like but would Love to see a scheme overhaul or additions. While I, and others bitch that we need new blood it will be challenging because I believe the other coaches are pretty decent and would like to see them retained. However, it will be tough to grab a DC that wouldn't want to add his own guys. Not impossible but tough.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Bigwaved wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:
This post made me laugh out loud. :roll: Being in Bama is getting to you...
That actually has to do with my tv being in the other room and since the ducks score so fast I have to sprint in here and type 281 words a minute to get back out there so I don't miss anything. I rarely proofread my posts during games.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

vagusnerve wrote:Pellum is so bad. Just the worst. He's got a highly talented D with possibly the #1 draft pick and the best D line in the pac 12 and he turns out one of the worst defenses of all time. He needs to go. Total joke to have a guy like this running the ducks D, random dude on the street could do a better job.
This is my pet peeve. I'm not gonna ride for Pellum, but fans overestimate their guys so much. Anybody besides Defo gonna stick on an NFL roster? I doubt it.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

wlduck wrote:Anybody besides Defo gonna stick on an NFL roster? I doubt it.
Depends on if Chip has a HC job somewhere:)
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Look, we've got quite a few 4* and even a 5* kid, if only one makes the league, is that a product of coaching too? Honest question, not a jab. If we don't get kids to the NFL, that will get around. It's USC selling point. "we can get you there, they can't"
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

srsmiley007 wrote:
Thank you. Well said.

Oh, and for those above who preach that no one has the experience to possibly understand or right to comment on a defense that hasn't exceeded 58th in 2 years. At least 3 of us on this board are ex-players or coaches and you are oh so wrong. I could try and explain why this scheme, his adjustments and calls are an abortion but you wouldn't get it so I'll make it very simple, he stinks.

To assume that NO ONE who posts here knows anything about coaching is small minded at best. I'm not going to get into my background. Let's just say that I can tell by reading some of the thoughts of people who post here tells me this. Honestly, this isn't brain surgery. To say that Pellum is a great guy and has done well for a lot of people is probably true. To defend his ability as a DC of a MAJOR college football program is just a lack of football IQ.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

I think Alex Balducci, Christian French, and Joe Walker have decent shots of being drafted, and there's probably at least 1-2 others as well.

What I find funny is the secondary is the Ducks' main issue on defense, and John Neal- the Ducks' secondary coach- is being put on a pedestal right now, as if he's the savior to all our defensive struggles.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

Cedar Tree wrote:I think Alex Balducci, Christian French, and Joe Walker have decent shots of being drafted, and there's probably at least 1-2 others as well.

What I find funny is the secondary is the Ducks' main issue on defense, and John Neal- the Ducks' secondary coach- is being put on a pedestal right now, as if he's the savior to all our defensive struggles.
Yeah, they all have measurable's but not sure our scheme is the friendliest to elevate ones draft status on that side of the ball. Outside of Neal, no one has a great track record of getting his guys drafted and sticking in the NFL.

Since I'm one of those guys guilty of elevating him, I do so because of past success as a DC and his ability to get guys to the show who were highly underrated coming here. That's the only reason some of us have him held in higher regard.That said, I'm a fan of retaining him for his prowess with the secondary not necessarily as the DC unless that's the only alternative for getting a new DC.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

wlduck wrote:
This is my pet peeve. I'm not gonna ride for Pellum, but fans overestimate their guys so much. Anybody besides Defo gonna stick on an NFL roster? I doubt it.
Balducci maybe....... Maybe. But you're exactly right our D is not super talented, we have some good play makers but a D that will see multiple players in the NFL.