Will we have a new defensive coordinator next year?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Will Don Pellum be the DC next year?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 50
fpsduck
Senior

Re: Will we have a new defensive coordinator next year?

Post by fpsduck »

I sure hope Pellum is done, but I think Helf is too nice to fire him.

If Pellum is Oregon's DC next year, then I will be driving the fire Helfrich bus.
StreeterCL
One Star Recruit

Post by StreeterCL »

I'm not in favor of firing Helfrich by any means but I'm curious about why some people think that the continuity of the staff is why we are so good.

What if a guy like Tom Herman was hired with resources like Oregon's? I would have to think recruits would flock to a guy like that considering he was the main reason Ohio State was what they were last year schematically.

I've been hoping really hard that Nebraska was going to hire Tom Herman, that didn't happen, and now that I think about it. Herman at Oregon would be probably a HUGE upgrade from Helf.

Again, I'm not advocating a firing, but Oregon is plenty established now as a top tier program and destination. Staying in family is not necessary as long as you hire the right guy. Like a Tom Herman
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

My solution is simple. Pellum retires or takes an "administrative job within the athletic department," and John Neal takes over as DC with Peter Sirmon coming in to coach the inside linebackers once the new USC coach is hired.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I am not sold on Neal. I am afraid it would be more of the same. I certainly could be wrong. I just want fresh blood put into it and the defense running to the ball and actually tackling the guy instead of whiffing. I would also like a guy that comes in and makes getting off the field on3rd down a huge priority. A long with being a priority to play smart football and get rid of the stupid penalties that prolong drives.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

If pellum goes then bring in someone new it obviously didnt work the first time.
Return Of the Quack!
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

pdxduck2013 wrote:My solution is simple. Pellum retires or takes an "administrative job within the athletic department," and John Neal takes over as DC with Peter Sirmon coming in to coach the inside linebackers once the new USC coach is hired.
While I would like to see a whole new DC, I do like Neal as a DB coach as that has generally been the strength of our D since he's been here. That said, this is probably the most likely scenario if anything is done. Peter Sirmon would be a great get (look what he did with USC true freshman LB's) and might add more to the scheme with his diversity of experience. Who knows maybe this would work. Can't be worse than our 79th to 115th ranked defense(FEI, S&P, Standard).
pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

srsmiley007 wrote:
pdxduck2013 wrote:My solution is simple. Pellum retires or takes an "administrative job within the athletic department," and John Neal takes over as DC with Peter Sirmon coming in to coach the inside linebackers once the new USC coach is hired.
While I would like to see a whole new DC, I do like Neal as a DB coach as that has generally been the strength of our D since he's been here. That said, this is probably the most likely scenario if anything is done. Peter Sirmon would be a great get (look what he did with USC true freshman LB's) and might add more to the scheme with his diversity of experience. Who knows maybe this would work. Can't be worse than our 79th to 115th ranked defense(FEI, S&P, Standard).
Agreed. I don't think it suddenly gives us a top 10 or top 25 defense over night but it would likely be an improvement. None of us know whether this for real, but it was interesting that the defense improved once Neal moved up into the box. Could be a coincidence, but I doubt it. I'm a fan of Sirmon too. Granted, he has a lot of talent at USC, but he was able to get it to be productive talent.

I'd definitely love to see a splash hire as the DC, but it doesn't fit in much with "the Oregon Way," so I don't think it would happen. I think an established DC might want to bring in his own guys, and I don't see that happening. Can't see Helf letting a new DC get rid of Neal or Aiken, who have proven themselves to be quite good over their tenures with the team. Chinander is still an unknown in terms of his impact, so that's about the only guy I could see a new DC being allowed to replace. I guess maybe they could bring in Wilcox and Sirmon to replace Pellum and Chinander, but that's about the biggest "shakeup" that I can imagine.

A new OC might be the most realistic external replacement if Frost leaves for a HC gig, although I think he stays one more year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Deep down inside, I already know he's coming back.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Deep down inside, I already know he's coming back.
I'm right there with ya. Battered fan syndrome.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Deep down inside, I already know he's coming back.
I think he'll be back too.

I do think a change would be better, but I'm not going to whip out a pitchfork if he stays. I trust in Helfrich/Mullens to do what's best for the team.

I also trust Uncle Phil and his knowledge/influence. If Pellum is still here next year, then that probably means PK supports him, too.

We'll see, though. There don't seem to be any rumors of personnel changes, but Oregon could be playing this close to the vest.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The only possible personnel changes I've read are Frost being in contention for several HC jobs and Matt Lubick's name coming up for the Montana State HC job.

I think the biggest change Oregon needs is a schematic and philosophical change on how they approach and play defense. They need to get out of the mindset that the offense will always be there and instead stiffen up the defense so that it's more of a potential shutdown defense, not a bend-but-don't-break one.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

karlhungis wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Deep down inside, I already know he's coming back.
I'm right there with ya. Battered fan syndrome.

:lol:

I too think we're stuck with him. Thanks, helf!
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Unlike Pez, I'm sharpening my pitchfork.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

pdxduck2013 wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:
Agreed. I don't think it suddenly gives us a top 10 or top 25 defense over night but it would likely be an improvement. None of us know whether this for real, but it was interesting that the defense improved once Neal moved up into the box. Could be a coincidence, but I doubt it. I'm a fan of Sirmon too. Granted, he has a lot of talent at USC, but he was able to get it to be productive talent.

I'd definitely love to see a splash hire as the DC, but it doesn't fit in much with "the Oregon Way," so I don't think it would happen. I think an established DC might want to bring in his own guys, and I don't see that happening. Can't see Helf letting a new DC get rid of Neal or Aiken, who have proven themselves to be quite good over their tenures with the team. Chinander is still an unknown in terms of his impact, so that's about the only guy I could see a new DC being allowed to replace. I guess maybe they could bring in Wilcox and Sirmon to replace Pellum and Chinander, but that's about the biggest "shakeup" that I can imagine.

A new OC might be the most realistic external replacement if Frost leaves for a HC gig, although I think he stays one more year.
I'm with you on the likelihood of a splash DC and it's impact to the rest of the staff. The only way they could keep the continuity of the staff is grab a lesser known up and comer who's had some impressive results but can't command a wholesale slaughter of the existing staff. What do you think of these guys? I think we might be able to keep Chinander, Neal and Aiken if we pitched any of these guys? NOTE - their position specialty is also Linebacker.

Kevin Clune - Utah State DC (20th ranked this year with an abysmal offense), Disciple of Todd Orlando, spent a couple of seasons at Hawaii and managed to have a positive impact upon them while there.

Malik Roberston- Portland State DC(beat WSU this year with inferior talent), excellent job as Central Washington DC.