Will we have a new defensive coordinator next year?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Will Don Pellum be the DC next year?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 50
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Will we have a new defensive coordinator next year?

Post by wepto »

Based on Helfrich's interviews after the WSU game, I suspect there won't be major changes. I hope I'm wrong.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: Will we have a new defensive coordinator next year?

Post by FlDuckFan »

Will he ? Yes.
Should he ? No.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

FlDuckFan wrote:Will he ? Yes.
Should he ? No.
Exactly what i came to say
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

wepto wrote:Based on Helfrich's interviews after the WSU game, I suspect there won't be major changes. I hope I'm wrong.
What would you have him say, half way through the season? I'm going to fire my DC at seasons end because he sucks? He, and most coaches, won't throw another coach under the bus.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Amen Buckmark! Some people on this board don't get. You don't throw someone under the bus publicly. For those that want that, well , I feel sorry for you for being so narrow minded and immature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I don't think Helfrich will fire Pellum. As I mentioned a couple times before, I could see someone coming on board as an adviser or Co-Coordinator. Maybe even someone else on the staff may take over as DC and Pellum could be moved into a different position, but I firmly believe Pellum will remain on the staff, one way or another.

Pellum isn't only the the DC, he's also a very good recruiter. It would hurt the Ducks to lose him. Also, the continuity and closeness of the staff are things that make Oregon very endearing to many young recruits. Breaking up "the family" wouldn't be a good move.

To ask a DC to come to Oregon, do the job, but not have control over personnel would be very difficult. The new guy may want to clean house on the defensive coaches and bring in his own guys. If that happened it would likely change everything. To lose coach Neal and coach Aiken would really suck, too.

Helf may shock the world by making major changes. He may be under pressure from boosters to make a change, too.

I'll point out a few things again, though it won't matter to some of you.

1. Losing key players in the secondary was huge this year. It put young, inexperienced players on the field as starters when they weren't ready yet. They were ready to be added to the rotation, but not to be full-time players. Their inexperience was brutal to watch at times. The lack of communication was 100% responsible for many easy scores.

2. The offense scoring so quickly kept them on the field a lot. No more than in years past, but it became a problem that obviously wasn't going to change. That's why the offense actually slowed down for a couple games and removed some of that pressure. It was also around the time that Charles Nelson moved to defense and Robinson was moved to corner.

3. As bad as the Ducks have looked in a few games, today against OSU for one, they've obviously been arrogant and overlooked some opponents. The Utah game was a joke. Adams was supposed to come back, but he couldn't stay out there and be effective. Utah took advantage of the Ducks in every facet of the game, offense, defense and special teams. That wasn't just a "Pellum problem". That was on the whole team.

WSU was another poor performance by the defense when it counted, but it wouldn't have happened if VA had been playing a racking up more points.

OSU saw something on film that they were able to exploit today, too. Yes, Oregon should have been able to make a few adjustments and at least slow the Beavers down, which they did at times, but they flat out blew a few plays and gave up some costly 3rd downs and turnovers.

Bottom line, Pellum may not be the long term answer, but at least keeping him on staff will maintain the much needed continuity of the program. He's been an integral part of our team that made it to the Natty last year and even though we've obviously struggled on defense again this season, we've also won 6 games in a row and are sitting at 9-3 with an outside shot at still making it to a Big-6 Bowl game.

If things continued to regress next season I'd say that Helfrich won't really have a choice, at least if he wants to keep his own job, but I'd be shocked to see him pull the plug right now.
John 3:36
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

We do not need Pellum's "continuity".
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

I hope Pellum stays on the staff, but he's not cut out to be the DC.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

DP seems like a great guy, but if Oregon wants a championship, then they can not afford the Don Pillow special anymore. The defense needs to be way better than that to win a national championship, and Mullens needs to get serious if he wants one, cause he has Uncle Phil breathing down his neck. Mullens or Helf can't afford to be nice and friendly anymore, this is a business, not a family, and the only way for Oregon to reach the promise land for the first time in program history is by taking things seriously and bringing in coaches who are capable of making that dream become a reality.
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

Pellum will be back. I think there's a chance- albiet a slight one- that he gets "demoted" or we have co-defensive coordinators or something of the like, but I'd be absolutely stunned if he got outright fired.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I don't think Pellum will be fired. I just do not see Helfrich making the change. I think Pellum should be gone. I just do not see Helfrich doing it. We have a defense that is at or near the bottom of the defensive categories in the Pac 12 and near the bottom of all of division 1. This is not acceptable. I may not have the knowledge that Pellum does when it comes to x's and o's but that stats do not lie. There needs to be major changes. I just don't think Helfrich has the guts to do the right thing. I think after next year... it will be both Helfrich and Pellum that go. Helfrich because he did not do what clearly should do this year.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I can't understand the people who are saying that Helf won't fire DP, if Helf doesn't, he's asking to get fired himself. If Helf wouldn't fire DP because he likes him and disregards the fact that he's nowhere near qualified to be the DC (do remember Helf hired him in the first place), then Helf is simply not the man to lead this team. It's bad enough that he hired him in the first place which was clearly a mistake, but if he keeps him after the way the defense played this season, then he's not qualified to be the coach at Oregon. It's just like business, when a manager fires someone, it's on them just as much, if not more than it is on the employee for hiring them in the first place.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I can't understand the people who are saying that Helf won't fire DP, if Helf doesn't, he's asking to get fired himself. If Helf wouldn't fire DP because he likes him and disregards the fact that he's nowhere near qualified to be the DC (do remember Helf hired him in the first place), then Helf is simply not the man to lead this team. It's bad enough that he hired him in the first place which was clearly a mistake, but if he keeps him after the way the defense played this season, then he's not qualified to be the coach at Oregon. It's just like business, when a manager fires someone, it's on them just as much, if not more than it is on the employee for hiring them in the first place.
I concur. However, I think we all forget that Uncle Phil will likely be the key input mechanism that forces the issue. He wants a natty before he dies and doubt he let this go on. He's experienced 2 seasons. I think it's real clear and I'm hoping he'll assist with this process. DP is a lifer so not sure how you respect that loyalty but really don't care at this point. This "d" has to change.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

srsmiley007 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I can't understand the people who are saying that Helf won't fire DP, if Helf doesn't, he's asking to get fired himself. If Helf wouldn't fire DP because he likes him and disregards the fact that he's nowhere near qualified to be the DC (do remember Helf hired him in the first place), then Helf is simply not the man to lead this team. It's bad enough that he hired him in the first place which was clearly a mistake, but if he keeps him after the way the defense played this season, then he's not qualified to be the coach at Oregon. It's just like business, when a manager fires someone, it's on them just as much, if not more than it is on the employee for hiring them in the first place.
I concur. However, I think we all forget that Uncle Phil will likely be the key input mechanism that forces the issue. He wants a natty before he dies and doubt he let this go on. He's experienced 2 seasons. I think it's real clear and I'm hoping he'll assist with this process. DP is a lifer so not sure how you respect that loyalty but really don't care at this point. This "d" has to change.
Exactly! Just ask Mullens, Uncle Phil gets what Uncle Phil wants. Mullens and a lot of others fought Uncle Phil on the size of Matthew Knight Arena, but Uncle Phil wanted it to be big enough to host a NCAA regional, and sure enough Uncle Phil won. He's a business man, and the UofO is a business to him, not a family. He wants to see each major sport win a natty before he dies and he won't rest until it happens, but if only one major sport could win it, it'd be football for him. If there are no coaching changes made by Helf and Mullens this offseason, then Uncle Phil won't sit around. Heck, I believe Uncle Phil had a headset during the Stanford game to test Frost and DP to see if they are qualified to be the coaches. Notice he doesn't do that every game, just some random ones.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
srsmiley007 wrote:
Exactly! Just ask Mullens, Uncle Phil gets what Uncle Phil wants. Mullens and a lot of others fought Uncle Phil on the size of Matthew Knight Arena, but Uncle Phil wanted it to be big enough to host a NCAA regional, and sure enough Uncle Phil won. He's a business man, and the UofO is a business to him, not a family. He wants to see each major sport win a natty before he dies and he won't rest until it happens, but if only one major sport could win it, it'd be football for him. If there are no coaching changes made by Helf and Mullens this offseason, then Uncle Phil won't sit around. Heck, I believe Uncle Phil had a headset during the Stanford game to test Frost and DP to see if they are qualified to be the coaches. Notice he doesn't do that every game, just some random ones.
Let's pray that he intervenes because I don't see Helf dumping him without it.