Pellum just cost us a shot at the Fiesta Bowl

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Pellum just cost us a shot at the Fiesta Bowl

Post by srsmiley007 »

Really, how is it that they don't know what's at stake. Recruiting, precedent for next season, etc. He just schemed up more points in one game for the Beavers than they've scored in the last 4 or 5 combined.

With all of the turbulence and key games we had an outside shot to get ranked in the top 12 by bowl selection time. Without a league championship game we needed to represent sooo much better against the worst team in the Pac12. Instead, this is what they put out. Ridiculous....

Does anyone still feel that just because we won we need to keep all coaches and continue the theme of rewarding less-than-mediocrity?
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Re: Pellum just cost us a shot at the Fiesta Bowl

Post by vegasdom »

He has to go! Oregon has the money. Buy a real D coordinator.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

You guys are more confused and excited then a baby in a top less bar. Let things ride out, the D gave up because of the lead and the expectation of an easy win.......Just fire all the coaches and then bitch at the next bunch of coaches...... Let's just see what happens.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

Oregon, at 17, would be likely to bump up to 15th at the end of the weekend, just with the way things would shake out. Navy losing helps us a bit and you still have Stanford-Notre Dame and Ohio State-Michigan playing. Iowa wasn't going to be upset by Nebraska. Still, after a 3-3 point, ending it at 9-3 is better than what some people were thinking. I'm happy to go to a decent bowl (projected Alamo against Oklahoma State looks pretty nice) and take that momentum into the offseason. Plus, we have an 80-game Passing TD streak intact, a chance at another 10-win season, and a chance to build a top-20 recruiting class. Not bad at all.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Alan wrote:You guys are more confused and excited then a baby in a top less bar. Let things ride out, the D gave up because of the lead and the expectation of an easy win.......Just fire all the coaches and then bitch at the next bunch of coaches...... Let's just see what happens.
You aren't at all upset with a D that nearly crapped away a 24 point halftime lead? Don't get me wrong, the offense didn't help, but that second half D performance was pathetic. Did we stop them outside of the final drive?

I love the staff continuity we have but there is no such thing as loyalty in business and that's what college football is now. The Oregon D is a liability now. None of us would get away with crapping the bed 85% of the time like Pellum has done.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:
Alan wrote:You guys are more confused and excited then a baby in a top less bar. Let things ride out, the D gave up because of the lead and the expectation of an easy win.......Just fire all the coaches and then bitch at the next bunch of coaches...... Let's just see what happens.
You aren't at all upset with a D that nearly crapped away a 24 point halftime lead? Don't get me wrong, the offense didn't help, but that second half D performance was pathetic. Did we stop them outside of the final drive?

I love the staff continuity we have but there is no such thing as loyalty in business and that's what college football is now. The Oregon D is a liability now. None of us would get away with crapping the bed 85% of the time like Pellum has done.

No the D played like cr@p in the second half. But I think it was on the D mailing it in and not playing, not the coaches. I wish radio had recording like DVR, but, I "think" Anthony Newman reported that DP and Buckner just blew up in the locker room because of the lack of effort by the D. I'm not sure it was Newman but it was reported and I believe it. Also as most know Joe Walker did not play.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

No the D played like cr@p in the second half. But I think it was on the D mailing it in and not playing, not the coaches. I wish radio had recording like DVR, but, I "think" Anthony Newman reported that DP and Buckner just blew up in the locker room because of the lack of effort by the D. I'm not sure it was Newman but it was reported and I believe it. Also as most know Joe Walker did not play.

Yep. They thought they already had the game won - especially after the Ducks jumped out to a 31-7 lead. The problem was that they forgot that there was a LOT of football left to be played.
John 3:36
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

Duck24 wrote:

Duck24, I remember you made fun of me for suggesting that we could win out after the WSU game.

Well we did. And you are still unhappy. Maybe you're just a chronic malcontent?
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Yeah that certainly doesn't reflect on the coaches for preparation or anything...
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I'm pretty sure Buckner said during his post game interview that everyone relaxed, players AND coaches. Yes the players didn't play well in the second half, but DP's playcalling was pitiful. Before OSU's long touchdown run in the 4th quarter, my friend and I were sitting there dumbfounded before the play how obvious that running towards that area of the field would be successful. DP's performance was just as bad as the players, if not worse. But it wasn't just him, clearly Helf thought the game was over too, I said it during the game, but not challenging the Merritt fumble would have a bigger impact than Helf realized at the time. The only possible reasoning for not challenging that was laziness or Helf thought the game was over and wanted to be nice to his opponent, and if the head coach has an attitude like that, why wouldn't the players follow suit? I know a lot of people like Helf, and I think he's a really smart coach, I'm just not sure he's the LEADER that is capable of winning a national championship at Oregon.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't think Oregon's chances of the Fiesta Bowl were hurt by this game.

We won. We have a huge fan base and we attract great ratings. And crazy things happen in rivalry games. It's not likely we'll get picked as an at-large, but if we don't get it, it won't be because Oregon State hung with us. It will be because a similarly ranked team will be deemed to be a comparable matchup/money maker. Just my two cents.

But yeah, I do think we need a change at the DC position. It's a tough spot because I believe Oregon benefits tremendously from its continuity, which is why I wouldn't at all be against Pellum remaining on the staff (if he would want to).

I'm not like some of you here -- I don't look at our defense and see all of this all-world talent that should be giving us a league-leading defense. But we definitely have enough talent to not get taken to the woodshed by OSU's offense. Crazy things happen in college football, but this seemed like the final straw in a season filled with discombobulated defensive performances/adjustments... including things like Neal going to the box for the first time in his long career here. The defense just seems like its in disarray, and even though I'm sure Pellum brings value to the team, it's just clear he's not the right guy for the DC job.

I'm not going to start (or join) an uproar if he doesn't get fired or demoted. I trust in Helfrich. But this is just my outsider's opinion.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

It's the crap scheme run by DP and his inability to adjust. Everyone else is fine but he's taken a scheme by NA and managed to make it a joke in 2 years. I love how everyone who has either never played or played in high school think that a defense just mails it in to the tune of 28 points in a half to one of the worst offense in D1.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

DAT_man_again wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

Duck24, I remember you made fun of me for suggesting that we could win out after the WSU game.

Actually I'm ecstatic that the team proved me wrong and ended the year hot. After Wazzu, I thought we'd be fighting for Vegas bowl relevancy. I'll gladly eat crow when I'm wrong, unlike others on this board.

My qualm is that the defense, after showing signs of not being historically bad over the last two weeks, regressed to bottom of the barrel steaming garbage again tonight. The Beavs don't have a QB capable of making D1 throws and we made them look like an offensive juggernaut. A guy who played TE for a majority of the year for OSU ran around and through the D. How is that acceptable?

We won, yes for which I'm very happy, but the D let an OSU team that scored 43 points in its last 4 games combined score 42 tonight...35 in the second half. There is absolutely no excuse for allowing a team as anemic as OSU is on offense to do what they did tonight. I see folks on here blaming the players for mailing it in at half and if that's the case, that is a huge indictment of the coaching they are/are not receiving.

I'm stoked about another W over OSU just not happy with us having to squeak out a win while 35 point favorites.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

Duck24 wrote:
DAT_man_again wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

Actually I'm ecstatic that the team proved me wrong and ended the year hot. After Wazzu, I thought we'd be fighting for Vegas bowl relevancy. I'll gladly eat crow when I'm wrong, unlike others on this board.

My qualm is that the defense, after showing signs of not being historically bad over the last two weeks, regressed to bottom of the barrel steaming garbage again tonight. The Beavs don't have a QB capable of making D1 throws and we made them look like an offensive juggernaut. A guy who played TE for a majority of the year for OSU ran around and through the D. How is that acceptable?

We won, yes for which I'm very happy, but the D let an OSU team that scored 43 points in its last 4 games combined score 42 tonight...35 in the second half. There is absolutely no excuse for allowing a team as anemic as OSU is on offense to do what they did tonight. I see folks on here blaming the players for mailing it in at half and if that's the case, that is a huge indictment of the coaching they are/are not receiving.

I'm stoked about another W over OSU just not happy with us having to squeak out a win while 35 point favorites.
Great response and if your passionate that is exactly how you should feel. Oh and yes the defense sucks and has for 2 years. Apparently everyone else seems to overlook that we can't maintain an elite status forcing our offense to also play defense. We are not going to score 40 against great teams all the time.
Keep up the pride, passion and posts
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

pezsez1 wrote:I don't think Oregon's chances of the Fiesta Bowl were hurt by this game.

We won. We have a huge fan base and we attract great ratings. And crazy things happen in rivalry games. It's not likely we'll get picked as an at-large, but if we don't get it, it won't be because Oregon State hung with us. It will be because a similarly ranked team will be deemed to be a comparable matchup/money maker. Just my two cents.

But yeah, I do think we need a change at the DC position. It's a tough spot because I believe Oregon benefits tremendously from its continuity, which is why I wouldn't at all be against Pellum remaining on the staff (if he would want to).

I'm not like some of you here -- I don't look at our defense and see all of this all-world talent that should be giving us a league-leading defense. But we definitely have enough talent to not get taken to the woodshed by OSU's offense. Crazy things happen in college football, but this seemed like the final straw in a season filled with discombobulated defensive performances/adjustments... including things like Neal going to the box for the first time in his long career here. The defense just seems like its in disarray, and even though I'm sure Pellum brings value to the team, it's just clear he's not the right guy for the DC job.

I'm not going to start (or join) an uproar if he doesn't get fired or demoted. I trust in Helfrich. But this is just my outsider's opinion.
The title of this thread is right up there with "how many coaches should be fired?' for internet histrionics. The bad performance by the defense in a single game that we won will have little or no effect on the Fiesta Bowl selection. Did anybody watch the Sportscenter coverage? It was a blip.

And Pez, I agree with literally everything else in your post as well. Although reasoned, calm opinions may get you kicked off the interwebs.