Special teams play

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Special teams play

Post by greenyellow »

Something that's been overlooked is the poor special teams play the past few weeks (heck even throughout the year) with them giving up big returns, 2 punt return TDs, a partially blocked FG that missed, and a partially blocked PAT that luckily made it through. It seems that Osbourne forgot to teach the team to maintain their lanes and hold blocks long enough. Too many uncharacteristic mental errors in this facet that nearly cost Oregon the game. Lack of attention to detail has been a nagging issue all season that the coaches need to do a better job of addressing.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Re: Special teams play

Post by hjpop »

Or maybe things just went differently this game? Can't always blame people for the way a game goes. OSU had players in position to make plays and so did Oregon.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

hjpop wrote:Or maybe things just went differently this game? Can't always blame people for the way a game goes. OSU had players in position to make plays and so did Oregon.
But even you have to admit that ST play this year has been poor when compared to previous seasons. Not sure what it is this season but it just seemed to be more mental breakdowns here than I can ever remember. Don't know if it's an inexperience thing or schematic failing but it definitely needs to get fixed heading into the bowl game.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

I dunno. On the one hand, we have had way more blocked FG attempts and punts than in the past. On the other hand, we have had a kicker that made clutch kicks and was really reliable. Our returners didn't muff as many kicks as they did in the past and the coverage was good to decent. It can go either way.

I agree with you, though, that there seems to be a lack of coordination and concentration on the ST effort.